Seems so real now

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

z-g

Re: Seems so real now

Post by z-g »

Just received our email too, Ds2 will be sitting his test in KEA.
mum1115

Post by mum1115 »

We've got ours too - test location Langley School, Solihull.
scary stuff now.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Try not to get nervous. Definitely try and not transmit that to the DC. Strongly recommend booking in a mock test asap.

Once you have done one and got over the unknown, it is a major help in reducing their nerves.

It might seem imminent, but there is ages to go yet.

Next term will be significant. First half is usually business as usual, then summer fairs kick in etc. Have a clear strategy for keeping the momentum going after end of academic year. We really struggled over the summer holidays and I think that having a couple of mocks one in July / one in Late August probably would greatly assist.

PP
z-g

Post by z-g »

Thanks for the info PP.
OldTrout

Post by OldTrout »

Hi everybody

I'm near the end of my time on this forum - with little fish at the end of Y8 and small fry at the end of Y6 will most likely be swimming off to explore what GCSE forums are out there. [Little fish did not succeed in her attempt in 2013 and small fry got lucky (just making CHG cut off) in 2015 for 2016 entry.]

I was talking to some Y5 Mum's in the playground at school pick up yesterday and they were asking me about our experience of the 11+ and said this kind of stuff should be on the forum - so here goes....

[I hasten to add I'm no expert and everybody's trip [can't bear the overused word 'journey'] through this process is different - but agree strongly with PP above - doing a little each day from here on out seems the best strategy & as so many have said - READ, READ, READ & discuss with your child their reading/ new words...]

so my thoughts on the 'unsaid' of the 11+ process:

1. Keep the unique pupil reference number/ test centre info some place secure in the run-up to the exam and then hang on to it until results/ allocations are known - just in case there is a problem because you'll need it if you have to seek help from the FO.

2. In October if you make your school selections on line you will be e-mailed your allocation information in March. Keep hold of the password/ username information for this (maybe attach to KE 11+ pupil number info) for March - because you can look up your allocation the morning of allocation day - from about 8 a.m. onwards for Birmingham City Council.

3. Be prepared for weirdness at various points

1st week of Y6 - lots of kids talking about the 11+ - can suddenly make the exam very real for your kid and make them nervous.

after the exam - some kids will be tempted to brag about how the test was easy & they were sure to pass. BIG MISTAKE - this will be remembered and kids will be merciless afterwards if you don't pass.

RESULTS DAY - maybe it's just our bad luck - but our letter didn't come - even though here on the forum and in the real world lots of people seemed to get their results. Our letter was sent 1st class by Birmingham City Council but arrived the next day (we're an afternoon delivery - so small fry had to weather a whole day at school with people knowing their results and still wondering what hers was).

also

Kids talk - everyone will know your results eventually.

ALLOCATION DAY
- here on the forum folks in the fine borough of Solihull were posting results and letting me know that 234 wasn't enough for CHGs way before we knew small fry's result. This was also the case the year Little Fish (2013/2014) took her exam - so be prepared that some people will find out before you. If you make your school selections on-line with Birmingham City Council you can check from about 8 a.m. on Allocation day and the information will be there - if like us you've been up late - read slowly - as the text wrapped around oddly - but by reading down the list we could see our second choice WAS NOT OFFERED - HIGHER OPTION OFFERED - so we re-read our first choice and moved the scroll bar along to finally read OFFERED against CHGs.

4. ON TEST DAY - BE EARLY (at drop off & pick up). If this is the only time in your life be early. Advantages: plenty of parking/ less children for your child to cope with as they enter the exam/ easier to be at the front when collecting your child after the exam. Be prepared for big crowds. This was the first time it really hit me how many people are taking this exam...think football match/ rock concert crowds.

5. WAITING IS HARD. whether it's waiting for the results (given in October) or waiting for the school allocation/ cut off/ waiting list positions - March onwards - it's a hard old thing. Try to keep level headed during the process. PP and I were both guilty of terrifying pizza flyer people on the day of results - be kind to anyone approaching your door on results/ allocation days.

6. Both results are awkward: whether your child secures a place at a grammar school or not will have its own difficulties (I've been on both sides of this fence). Little fish was crushed at first by her bad news - 3 good friends went on to a grammar school and she just simply wasn't going to join them. Hard time - but we were genuinely happy for her friends success - they'd worked very hard too - and felt it was important to show that. Be happy for those who succeed - even if it hurts that your child didn't. Small fry made the cut off on March 1st - just scraped it. Of course we were overjoyed - but then we saw the disappointment of so many parents of her friends. Try to be encouraging - especially if they are close to the cut off - but give parents space/ time to digest their disappointing news and decide what next. Several of small fry's friends were were unsuccessful will be going to the same school as Little Fish - so I was in a good position to say how well that has gone for Little Fish to those who asked me. I think that has helped. But it is awkward - and tricky - so tread lightly.

7. I think the thing I wasn't prepared for when small fry passed was that some children would be a bit nasty to her afterwards (even to this point in the school year). They are unforgiving when she makes a mistake in class or admits she doesn't know something/ understand something. They've stopped playing with her at breaks or eating lunch with her - because she's going to a grammar school. It's been very hard for small fry - one good friend to this point has been very weird - we've just had to accept that maybe she wasn't such a good friend and I've encouraged her to seek a bit of distance.

8. Friendship groups shift madly in schools after allocation day - so regardless of results be prepared for a few difficult weeks after Allocation Day.

Knowing all I know now - would I have embarked on 11+ DIY with my girls if I had it to do over again. Yes.

But...

I've always viewed the process as educational first and foremost - for me this was about seeking to get my children working to the highest possible standard. It was always about giving them the best possible start for secondary school.

I wish you & your children all the very best of luck in the 11+

and want to thank this forum & moderators for your help/ support over the years

I'll sign off now

OT
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

A great post, OldTrout, and I agree with you entirely.

Sorry to hear your little fry is suffering from unpleasant behaviour from some of the children; I'm afraid this is quite common and not much you can do. Not long until the end of school now so tell her not to worry and focus on a fresh start and making new friends in September. I wish her all the best for her new school. :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Hope you stick around OT. Compared to the start of the Journey with DD1 I feel like I know and understand so much more. That said I only went through one path and it looks increasingly likely that DD2 path will be more DIY, than I would like.

Anyway I think there is value from people like yourself that have seen differing outcomes to their campaigns. I keep reminding myself how close, run a thing the campaign was (in terms of getting something workable for us for DD1), and looking at the completely different character of DD2, it reminds me of how many factors are just beyond parents direct control.

Sorting out what you can do is not so easy and that's where the hand of experience comes in. My lesson learned out of all this is there is no magic formula, although you can do things that will tend to help guide your DC towards success.
PP
Anigan

Post by Anigan »

I applied on the 12th, not received any email yet re. candidate number, test centre etc. Been checking my inbox but nothing yet...
z-g

Post by z-g »

Did you receive an automated reply? If so, then you'll have to contact them.
Anigan

Post by Anigan »

Hi, yeah I received the automated confirmation but no email since. I'll hold out for a few days before contacting them

Edit: Ive since received the email so that's sorted! Not long now until the grammar test...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now