Induction day - how did it go?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
helen0209

Re: Induction day - how did it go?

Post by helen0209 »

DS was apprehensive about HGS but now thinks he will enjoy going there. He came back reciting maths jokes (why did the obtuse angle leave the beach? Because it was over 90 degrees)!

Likewise they expect 1.5 - 2 hours homework a night and they get their planners in September. There was no exchanging of phone numbers, but DS doesn't have a phone (yet).

Was good for DS to meet someone who will be getting the same bus - Rising Sun we will have to organise something for over the summer. Anyone else getting the 843 Green Bus please PM and we can arrange for them to meet so they have a familiar face come September.

I'm sure they will all settle in and make new friends; it will just be a bit of a learning curve to start with.
HappyRobot

Post by HappyRobot »

It's a year now since my ds induction at camp hill and all well, but he defo doesn't do 1.5 2 hour homework a night. I see him do maybe 20 mins if I am lucky...some obvs is done at school or at the end of lessons.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

I think this depends from one child to another... In fact, I was a bit annoyed with the former head at CHB when he had mentioned a certain amount of time to spend on HW because, as a consequence, I planned MANY extracurricular activities for my DS (swimming, scouts, Mandarin, Arabic) ... and we have been dropping them one after the other (but it is true that at that time, my DS had to make long journeys. Once we had moved and settled, he has been able to take up swimming again and enjoy some after school clubs proposed at school).

I rather think that maybe a good approach could be not to plan too many activities for the first term, and then you will adjust them once you know how your own child has coped with the changes and how well organised he is.

Best wishes to all children for their transition to their respective secondary school. :D
OldTrout

Post by OldTrout »

Small fry's first comment was: she couldn't wait until school started in September! Well done CHGs! - exactly what we were hoping for as parents. I didn't get a lot of sense - but apparently the cookie for dessert at lunch was delicious.

All in all it seems to have been a very successful day. Small fry said that most kids in her form were the only kid from their school or home schooled, so there weren't any friendship groups at the outset. Maybe she was just lucky but found kids very chatty and friendly and several made an effort to talk to her - she can be a bit shy in new situations - so she was really grateful. I think she's a little worried about finding her way around - but I expect that's normal.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now