Uniform costs

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

OldTrout

Re: Uniform costs

Post by OldTrout »

Thanks for posting Petitpois

Your figures make me feel much better as we're in exactly the same boat (~£500) for small fry for CHG, when you add in the residential.

I was given some warning from friends who had been there before - so knew the uniform would set me back. Have yet to buy shoes - and known small fry - her feet will continue to grow over the summer - so saving that for last minute in August to make the hockey/ football boots, white trainers and school shoes last as long as possible.

Absolutely agree - buying the uniform - much like 'moving up day' - made small fry incredibly proud. I just felt like I was in one of those mastercard commercials - £300 for school uniform/ huge smile of small fry's face - PRICELESS Sadly DH was less smiley when he saw the bill :lol:
OldTrout

Post by OldTrout »

Forgot to say Petitpois & others 'feeling the pinch'

My 'source' says that this is the worst of it - after this there's the odd field trip.

There can be a bit of replacing things left on the bus (her son lost 3 blazers - she made him pay for #3 and he's never lost one since!). I've warned small fry that will be my policy as well.
Mittleme

Post by Mittleme »

Thanks Petitpois and Oldtrout for sharing this

thought I was the only one here . Uniform/kit/shoes/trainers costing over £500 for grammar school. in DD's school skirt alone cost £32.95.
no hockey though
no blazers included too as they don't use blazer . only coats .
and a jumper cost £17.50 . might have to reduce the quantity as I thought of buying 3 jumpers

Wow!!feeling the pinch but when we think about the achievement then we put a smile to our faces and would rather have this to worry about now that the main hurdle has been overcome. :D :D
Last edited by Mittleme on Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Reading this makes me glad that DDs school uniform doesn't include a blazer, PE kit is straightforward (some branded but most generic) and only one pair of white trainers required.
DD had her biggest growth spurt just before starting secondary and while she has grown 5" since starting, with the growth room, I haven't needed to buy anything other than some slightly longer school skirts a few months ago. (Cheaper than others mentioned on here. I think about £15) She has more or less stopped growing now, so we might make it to GCSEs without any more purchases. I'm hoping the DM shoes I bought will last quite a while too. (Clarks are not DD proof in the slightest.) the DMs have already lasted twice as long as Clarks ones and still look almost new.
Because her feet stopped growing before secondary, I haven't had to replace her trainers either, but then she isn't that sporty.

On the subject of PE, we've had cheap mouth guards (ongoing orthodontic work meant it wasn't feasible for a dentist made one for a while). She has also had a decent one made by the dentist. There's a world of difference in fit and comfort. If DD is playing hockey in year 10/11 (they get to choose what sports they do in year 10/11 to some extent) she will definitely have another one made.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:I am a real advocate of proper dentist fitted gum shields - for rugby and especially for hockey (which is the sport where you are most likely to lose teeth). The average cost of around £35/40 is a drop in the ocean compared with dental bills. I am really interested that Jane Eyre says her son doesn't wear his. Shocked, actually, as in both our school and club, no gum shield means NO playing. It's a basic piece of safety equipment.
Totally agree. DS (and now dd's) school won't let anyone on the hockey / rugby pitch without gum shields (or shin pads for Hockey and football) - it's nonnegotiable - if you don't have them you don't play!

Uniform for us isn't too bad £30 for a blazer, £9 tie, £16 school skirt plus the PE kit. Agree also about everyone having the same calculator! Makes life sooooo much easier!
pinkhousemom

Post by pinkhousemom »

My DD will be starting year 8 in September and, luckily for me, all her uniform still fits! At least I'm getting my money's worth, which is just as well since I have to fund a foreign trip and £400 of music tuition this year.....
um

Post by um »

I have 3 children at KECH and cannot understand how someone could spend £500 on school uniform for one child?
It's been nowhere near that much for me, unless it's the cost of very expensive shoes, bags etc?

Ds 1 and ds2 can share clothes (ds2 wears slightly bigger clothes than ds1 but generally they don't mind raiding each other's room when they can't find something :roll: ) so that helps, I guess.

For dd at KECHG we were able to buy quite a lot of the clothes very cheaply at the second hand sale at school - I think I walked in with £20 and took home two huge bags of clothes in excellent condition. The girls' uniform would otherwise have been more expensive than the boys, as they have specific shirts and skirts, but the boys' school allow any shirts/trousers etc which fit the colours given.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Um, it was actually £360 and they bought 2 of several things that may not have been strictly necessary.

I got some good stuff for DD's (all girl) prep school which was in great condition, however having helped with the secondhand stuff at DS's GS, I can confirm that there was not much in good condition at all.
Tonythetiger

Post by Tonythetiger »

Going a bit off track now, but have been studying the various letters/lists and I can't see the lab coat requirement anywhere! PP am I missing something?!!
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

TTT - firstly hope your still savouring the place. Absolutely marvellous that your DD gained a place.

Perhaps we have got confused, because we cannot find reference to the lab coat anywhere in the welcome pack or the uniform shop's flyer. That said in the sheet headed "The schools of King Edward VI in Birmingham "our promise", it says 5. free essential equipment for lessons - including free laboratory coat for science, and aprons for design technology involving work with materials.

Perhaps we read that you don't get those items free, unless you meet the pupil premium criteria. It would appear consistent since the list is of other stuff that is provided as long as you meet the criteria, so it seems to make sense.

Oh dear I think I have just added an apron to the Lab coat on this list of possibles. Stuff playing around with Graham's number, I can't even work out the uniform / required essentials list! :cry:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now