KES exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Margo

Re: KES exam

Post by Margo »

sky111 wrote:
Margo wrote:We have been eagerly awaiting the KES result, but sadly no place for my DS.
The entry system at KES is not transparent. Most places are reserved for boys based on their parents ability to pay. Exam results come secondary.
I suspect the school would infer from our occupations that we could pay, although I work part time, and we have 2 younger sons so all three at KES would cripple us, they wouldn't be aware of those factors...
um

Post by um »

WISE wrote:Thanks crazycofter and sorry to hear your news, best luck with 1st march.

I have heard it's much harder to get into KES/KEHS at 13+ or later, they take only 1 or 2 at these stages and the tests are much more competitive as it involves more subjects. Also if someone has already tried at 11+ they may be even more reluctant to offer him at a later stage, some schools even don't allow to seat at 13+ if someone had sat that school at 11+. So someone needs to perform exceptionally well to stand a chance at 13+, at least at the same level as the top performers of their existing students. I'm not sure if DC will achieve that level being at a grammar. Even if he is successful at 13, I guess he might be even further behind than his future year group and might struggle to cope with the rest of the class during those important GCSE years.

My idea is DC to attend KES for 3 years to give him a strong foundation, then might transfer to a grammar for GCSE years (of course will utmost try to continue at KES but in case of struggling with finances as current situation). I'm assuming that initial 3 years at KES gives stronger foundation than those years at say KE Aston or QMGS. With that foundation he should be among the top performers at grammars.

I am still discussing with others and considering all options equally. Far from any decision yet, not finding it easy!
In all honesty as a parent of two teenage boys, I feel that the very best you could do for your son is make one decision and, as far as is possible, stick to it throughout his teenage years.
If your son knows he is going to KES for 3 years only, that is a pretty unsettling thought.

Very few children will take kindly to being moved out of one school and into another at the difficult age of 13 (puberty isn't a whole load of fun :roll: ) when they have just formed friendships and are settled. Children also tend to make GCSE choices during Year 9 if not sometimes before. They'd take it far less well if they are being moved out of a fee paying school with a lot of expensive facilities to one which they perceive as not being quite the same... teenagers can pick up a lot on these things.

If you really loved KES and feel that it will provide the best education for your son and can afford it, then go ahead and commit to the place.
If you cannot afford it (and to be fair the vast majority of families cannot possibly afford it) then you have still got some of the best schools in the UK to send him to (QMGS and KEA) so he should be very happy at either of those too - don't worry about KES because ultimately as a parent, your love and acceptance and support of your child means more than your bank account.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

scalehousesent wrote:I am always amazed how some are so terribly ungrateful with what has been given yes given to them . To be given a scholarship and AP is a real privelage and to then not grab it with both hands is beyond comprehension. There are many who would do anything for such an opportunity yet it is as if some like to collect offer letters and tell the world
Please don't jump to judgement.We do not know the extent of the scholarship or the amount of the AP.Please think before you write.They are not multi millionaires if they have an AP they could be on JSA or earning up to £70,000 per annum!

Be pleased for them. Jealousy is very unpleasant.I have never understood this attitude to knock someone for being successful.I would rather have more at the top than at the bottom.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

scalehousesent wrote:I am always amazed how some are so terribly ungrateful with what has been given yes given to them . To be given a scholarship and AP is a real privelage and to then not grab it with both hands is beyond comprehension. There are many who would do anything for such an opportunity yet it is as if some like to collect offer letters and tell the world
The alternative, more sensible and pragmatic approach, however, is that people who "need" a scholarship and bursary to consider a place at a school, are VERY sensible indeed to think about it carefully. Even with both, the cost can be prohibitive for some people - sacrifices may still need to be made and there are often other family members to consider. Generally speaking, if their child has done well enough here, they are likely to do well in the Birmingham Grammar Schools which are, of course, fee free. And the question they are then asking is, are the sacrifices actually really worth it? The honest answer is probably not - so whilst you may see it as a privilege and beyond comprehension to not grabit with both hands, I think people who allow themselves to consider the offer carefully, are by far the smartest ones.
scalehousesent

Post by scalehousesent »

quasimodo wrote:
Please don't jump to judgement.We do not know the extent of the scholarship or the amount of the AP.Please think before you write.They are not multi millionaires if they have an AP they could be on JSA or earning up to £70,000 per annum!

Be pleased for them. Jealousy is very unpleasant.I have never understood this attitude to knock someone for being successful.I would rather have more at the top than at the bottom.
It is not a case of not being pleased for someone . I just do not understand why someone would go through a process involving open days , entrance exams , applications for financial assistance and interviews to , after all this, suddenly realise it is probably not the right school. It happens all to often and many others are left disappointed. I am aware of a number of children who have applied for scholarships at up to 6 schools of which their parents have no intention of accepting an offer as they already knew where they intended to send their child , why would anyone do that but sadly it happens a lot.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

As the system in private schools can be a whole lot less transparent...they have leeway to offer higher financial incentives to children who perform brilliantly in the exam, or are national champions at a particular sport etc. Maybe parents cannot completely calculate the financial commitment? Maybe paretns are hoping for a full bursary but only get a partial one so have to calculate if they can afford the difference? Maybe they don't get as big a scholarship as they hoped - some scholarships come with NO finacial incentive at all. There are lots of variables and if you don't fully understand them then it could come across as strange but actually can be very sensible.
Pickledonion

Post by Pickledonion »

No AP for us but a full fee offer. Thankful nonetheless.
11plus_enthusiast

Post by 11plus_enthusiast »

quasimodo wrote:

Thanks Quasimodo for your kind words. You are spot on, if money wasn't a problem, then yes I would not even think twice and would accept KES offer. It might be a good offer for someone, but with our family income it would still be a big stretch also considering another sibling. Given that my son will also get CHB, it makes it tough although I prefer KES for various reasons.
11plus_enthusiast

Post by 11plus_enthusiast »

scalehousesent wrote:
quasimodo wrote:

It is not a case of not being pleased for someone . I just do not understand why someone would go through a process involving open days , entrance exams , applications for financial assistance and interviews to , after all this, suddenly realise it is probably not the right school. It happens all to often and many others are left disappointed. I am aware of a number of children who have applied for scholarships at up to 6 schools of which their parents have no intention of accepting an offer as they already knew where they intended to send their child , why would anyone do that but sadly it happens a lot.
You never know, how much financial assistance you will get until very late. If it was just AP, then I wouldn't have applied as it wont be sufficient for us. As we know that our son is doing very well, we were hoping for a generous scholarship. Again why would deny an opportunity for a deserving child? You can only find if it works out after going through the entire process, which is still not over.
simplelearning

Post by simplelearning »

We received our letter, it stated DS did excellent in his test and very good in his interview but will not be offered an AP. Not too fussed as he got 241 so hopeful he'll get CHB.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now