Reviving advice on filling in CAF

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
WISE

Re: Reviving advice on filling in CAF

Post by WISE »

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES, ITS SORTED NOW.

BOTH THE USERNAME AND THE PASSWORD MUST CONTAIN AT LEAST ONE NUMBER AND ONE LETTER.

RICKY74,

I went to both QM and KEA open days and both said that the schools are not told the ranking order of your preferences. So the Council will send your child's name to the 1st preference school, if unsuccessful only then the Council will send your child to the 2nd preference school and so on. But this 2nd preference school will NOT know that its your 2nd preference. It will consider your child on equal basis as all other children whose names were forwarded to it by the Councils. So, all these children will be considered by that school equally, even if one child ranked it as his 1st preference and another child ranked it as his 5th preference.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

WISE wrote:THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES, ITS SORTED NOW.

BOTH THE USERNAME AND THE PASSWORD MUST CONTAIN AT LEAST ONE NUMBER AND ONE LETTER.

RICKY74,

I went to both QM and KEA open days and both said that the schools are not told the ranking order of your preferences. So the Council will send your child's name to the 1st preference school, if unsuccessful only then the Council will send your child to the 2nd preference school and so on. But this 2nd preference school will NOT know that its your 2nd preference. It will consider your child on equal basis as all other children whose names were forwarded to it by the Councils. So, all these children will be considered by that school equally, even if one child ranked it as his 1st preference and another child ranked it as his 5th preference.
Thank-you for clarifying too, I can fill my other twin's CAF in now! Glad you got the username and password sorted. We can all relax now until March (not!) :roll:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Ricky74 wrote:
WISE wrote:THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES, ITS SORTED NOW.

RICKY74,

Thank-you for clarifying too, I can fill my other twin's CAF in now! Glad you got the username and password sorted. We can all relax now until March (not!) :roll:
Actually the way that the system works, all data is transferred at the same time. No -one at your LA or anyone else's sits there sending children's details to each school on their list one by one (not in the main admissions round, anyway ). The system is mainly automated. Some of the more informative LAs' websites detail the precise dates for each stage. But all your preferences get your request for a place at the same time.

If you think about it, schools would definitely know where you had ranked them, if requests were sent sequentially according to your ranked list :shock:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Anigan

Post by Anigan »

Hi everyone, thanks for all the comments, they are most useful. I have a dilemma if anyone could offer some advice it would be much appreciated. My son scored 222 in the Birmingham test which I feel may be just enough to get him into Aston based on last years cut off of 221 for Aston. He did better in the Walsall test in that if I put Qmgs first I feel he would get a place there.
My dilemma is that I was not able to make it to any of Qmgs open days but have heard very highly of the school. If I put Aston first and Qmgs second and the cut offs for Aston go beyond 222, then I feel that we would be offered Qmgs but still be on the waiting list for Aston which would enable us to see Qmgs in the meantime in order to compare the two schools and decide between them. However if the cut offs are similar to last years and he is offered Aston at first choice then we will lose Qmgs whereas I would like to keep my options open at this stage. Hope that makes sense as I'm confused as to what to do.
I suppose what I'm trying to do is predict the cut offs for Aston this year..any ideas?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If QM is back in action on Monday, could you risk turning up and asking to look round (or at kept ringing up first thing and asking?). That would give you a few hours to make your mind up before the declined for the CAF.

I assume you mean that your DS hasn't had a look round.. either?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Anigan

Post by Anigan »

I did try to arrange a viewing several times before half term hols but as they had just had the open days (which I had planned to attend but circumstances dictated otherwise) they would not budge and said they couldn't do individual tours so I doubt they would arrange a last minute tour on Monday and I don't think my nerves would allow me to leave the caf so late anyway (I've already come so close to the deadline).
Aston is closer to us but Qmgs has so many other plus points. My son has not seen Qmgs either apart from the little on exam day.
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Anigan wrote:Hi everyone, thanks for all the comments, they are most useful. I have a dilemma if anyone could offer some advice it would be much appreciated. My son scored 222 in the Birmingham test which I feel may be just enough to get him into Aston based on last years cut off of 221 for Aston. He did better in the Walsall test in that if I put Qmgs first I feel he would get a place there.
My dilemma is that I was not able to make it to any of Qmgs open days but have heard very highly of the school. If I put Aston first and Qmgs second and the cut offs for Aston go beyond 222, then I feel that we would be offered Qmgs but still be on the waiting list for Aston which would enable us to see Qmgs in the meantime in order to compare the two schools and decide between them. However if the cut offs are similar to last years and he is offered Aston at first choice then we will lose Qmgs whereas I would like to keep my options open at this stage. Hope that makes sense as I'm confused as to what to do.
I suppose what I'm trying to do is predict the cut offs for Aston this year..any ideas?
They are both good schools, and cut-offs are unpredicatable, especially with BV having PP this year - it may have an impact on KEA. I think perhaps you need to look at what each school offers and see which suits your DS better. Does one do certain languages / sports / extra curricular which he has an interest in? Does one have better science / art facilities? Look at the transport links - which is easier to get to. Can he partake in after school activities at both and still be able to come home on his own? Are either nearer siblings schools?

It is a shame you weren't able to attend any of the Open Days. It sounds like you still like KEA and would be happy for him to go there, so if the QM score is 'almost certain' to gain a place but you are unsure of whether he should go there I think I would list KEA 1st and QM second. I don't know if you would be able to appeal come March if you decided you wanted it the other way round if it was automatic to KEA?

Hope your DD is enjoying her new school and best wishes with your decision.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If you are allocated your first preference, your lower preferences are taken off the table, so to speak, as the system assumes that you have got what you wanted. In the normal course of events, you would then have to make a late application to QM if you decided that you would prefer it after all, and how that application is dealt with, depends on the school. If they would just slot you into the waiting list, then all well and good, if his score was near the then cut -off. A bit annoying for those on the waiting list who had the school as first preference all along who find themselves bumped down a place, of course.
HelloWorld123

Post by HelloWorld123 »

I have a situation to name two of my selected schools as 1st and 2nd preference. One school allocates place based on marks (Tonbridge) and the other school allocates based on catchment (WoK/TGWells).

If I mention the school based on catchment as 1st preference, I will get it. But I want to give a try for the school which allocates based on marks. So what is the risk if I place Tonbridge as 1st preference and WoK/TGWells as second preference. If I don't get 1st preference, will I get the 2nd preference school? How does the allocation system work? Will the council goes with all the 1st preference first and then go to the 2nd preference in case if it is unsuccessful. In this case, if there are more 1st preference catchment applications than available seats, there is a risk that I might not get my 2nd preference. Its more confusing. Could some one who explored this subject, please clarify.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

HelloWorld123 wrote:I have a situation to name two of my selected schools as 1st and 2nd preference. One school allocates place based on marks (Tonbridge) and the other school allocates based on catchment (WoK/TGWells).

If I mention the school based on catchment as 1st preference, I will get it. But I want to give a try for the school which allocates based on marks. So what is the risk if I place Tonbridge as 1st preference and WoK/TGWells as second preference. If I don't get 1st preference, will I get the 2nd preference school? How does the allocation system work? Will the council goes with all the 1st preference first and then go to the 2nd preference in case if it is unsuccessful. In this case, if there are more 1st preference catchment applications than available seats, there is a risk that I might not get my 2nd preference. Its more confusing. Could some one who explored this subject, please clarify.
This was my post just a little bit up thread:

Actually the way that the system works, all data is transferred at the same time. No -one at your LA or anyone else's sits there sending children's details to each school on their list one by one (not in the main admissions round, anyway ). The system is mainly automated. Some of the more informative LAs' websites detail the precise dates for each stage. But all your preferences get your request for a place at the same time.

If you think about it, schools would definitely know where you had ranked them, if requests were sent sequentially according to your ranked list 

Please take some time to read through the guidance notes on your own LA's website before you submit your CAF. The schools have no idea where you have ranked them - your application is ranked by the school according to its published admissions criteria - and for many years now, it has been illegal to include 'where you ranked us in your list of preferences' as one of those.

Each LA is responsible on its residents' behalf for passing on requests for places to the relevant admissions authorities, be they individual academies or Voluntary Aided schools, schools in other LAs, or even itself for community schools. It is then responsible for dealing with the responses, ensuring that each applicant only receives one offer of a place, at the highest ranked school for which they meet the criteria for admission.

So for example, if you apply for four schools and your number two and number four preferences say yes, this person can have a place here, the system offers a place at the one you ranked number two. The debate that you did not come sufficiently high up school one's ranked list of applicants has no bearing at all on whether or not you ranked highly enough on the ranked lists of schools two, three or four.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now