Reviving advice on filling in CAF

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ceem75

Re: Reviving advice on filling in CAF

Post by Ceem75 »

I was wondering whether someone could advise me. The scenario is this - We live outside England and Wales and are planning to move to West Midlands just after July next year. Somehow DS and DW came up with the idea that he should preemptively write the grammar school tests. He has achieved a good score, so getting into any of the grammar schools would not be a problem. What I am not really sure is how to fill in the CAF. We do not pay council tax in any of the LAs I called the foundation office today and looks like they have no clue either.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Ceem75 wrote:I was wondering whether someone could advise me. The scenario is this - We live outside England and Wales and are planning to move to West Midlands just after July next year. Somehow DS and DW came up with the idea that he should preemptively write the grammar school tests. He has achieved a good score, so getting into any of the grammar schools would not be a problem. What I am not really sure is how to fill in the CAF. We do not pay council tax in any of the LAs I called the foundation office today and looks like they have no clue either.
Well done to your DS. As the Birmingham Grammars have no catchment I wouldn't have seen it being a problem getting in.
However, the online CAF application does need you to confirm you pay your council tax to Birmingham. The website (https://eadmissions.birmingham.gov.uk/prefs.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) says to call them for advice if you can't do this, and I'm surprised they didn't help you further. This surely can't be the first time this has happened. I would definitely call them back and ask to speak to the person in charge of school applications. Good luck.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Ceem75 wrote:I was wondering whether someone could advise me. The scenario is this - We live outside England and Wales and are planning to move to West Midlands just after July next year. Somehow DS and DW came up with the idea that he should preemptively write the grammar school tests. He has achieved a good score, so getting into any of the grammar schools would not be a problem. What I am not really sure is how to fill in the CAF. We do not pay council tax in any of the LAs I called the foundation office today and looks like they have no clue either.
It's really not a problem - you simply apply (in strict priority order) to the the particular Birmingham grammars you wish your son to attend but on the CAF form supplied to you by you current Local Authority(or online form). Your current LEA will then simply coordinate with B/Ham LEA (as other West Midland LEA do already) and hopefully on offer day you will get an offer from your current LEA for the a KE or B/Ham selective grammar of your choice.

By doing it well in advance you have simply avoided your son having to sit the 11+ entrance paper (the same paper as it happens) in Aug 17 next year and then being put on the waiting list for B/Ham/KE grammar.

Probably sensible to drop and email to your current LEA explaining that you are applying only for B/Ham grammars because you are moving to B/Ham in July.

Also worthwhile phoning the particular KE grammar school you have selected after the 1st March (when actual scores are known and places offered) to explain to them why you have selected a school that's maybe a long way from your current address.

Sorry having reread the message I had assumed you live in Scotland but if that's not the case then you need to speak to B/Ham LEA - the Schools Admissions Code allows applications for the parents of Children living abroad (for example Crown Agents living abroad but soon to move back to the UK. Suggest you try to register online with B/ham LEA

Hope this helps
Newbiee

Post by Newbiee »

um wrote:Yes, you can list schools from any LA you wish,but you should complete the form with the LA you pay Council Tax to.
Thank you
Ceem75

Post by Ceem75 »

Thank you KenR and Bm. Yes, you guessed right, we are in Scotland. The scottish school system is slightly different here in that kids move to secondary schools after P7. Just had a look at our councils online form, and looks like I can use it only if i am applying for a school place with in the council. I am waiting for Monday to come and will give our council and the Birmingham LEA a call. Will keep the forum upated.
Ceem75

Post by Ceem75 »

Update - Contacted Birmingham council. They have asked me to apply for the secondary place through Birmingham LEA. When registering online, I had to say yes to 'whether I pay council tax in Birmingham' and to choose 'Home education' from the drop down menu when selecting the primary school that DC is attending at the moment because Scottish schools do not appear in the list. Otherwise application process was a breeze. Now looking at the green bus routes and travel times and areas to avoid before deciding on where to live.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

That sounds very odd...they are basically telling you to lie on your form and then, assumedly, sign to say you are telling the truth? I would be very unhappy doing that...
Ceem75

Post by Ceem75 »

On the surface it looks like it. But apparently its the only way if you are applying for a grammar school place from outside England and Wales. Of course in the form you enter the address you are currently living, so there is nothing dodgy in that. I was unsure about this whole process, so did indeed call them up twice in two different days just to confirm. They didn't even think twice before advising, even told me I am not the first one to call them about this issue.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I am sure it does happen a lot, especially for areas with Grammar Schools with no catchment!

Good luck with the move - you are much braver than me, uprooting the family for a school place. Which GS does he prefer, or have you not yet looked at the actual schools, because of the distance, or do your jobs dictate the particular area you would have to live in?
sky55

Post by sky55 »

Hi, If I got the offer for 3rd preference of my school. will I be in the waiting list for the previous two schools or just one?and If I accepted the third school, can l still be in the waiting list . If so, how long can I be in the waiting list? Thanks
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now