KEHS offer process??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
quasimodo

Re: KEHS offer process??

Post by quasimodo »

GuidingStar wrote:I have a STRONG feeling based on observing KES/KEHS offer process during last 10 years that, the KE foundation is very unlikely to offer AP to more than 1 child per family. This is one important point families with more younger children to go into secondary school in following years need to have in mind when making a decision about the current child. If the current child qualifies for a top grammar school and s/he has younger siblings who may not perform as good, then taking on any AP offer for the current child and forfeiting the good grammar place unnecessarily might reduce options for younger siblings in future. I have yet to come across any family who got AP (KES+KEHS combined) for more than 1 child. They manage things jointly and keep records forever...
I don't believe this to be correct.I am aware of families both in the past and currently who have had boys and girls at the two schools or at each on combinations of scholarships and assisted places or assisted places.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

+1. Decisions are made on the individual - whilst this takes into account their personal financial circumstances, if the child has performed well enough (read very well) to be considered for an AP they will consider and not reject them based on the family already having an AP...one of their remits is to increase accessibility from those families who wouldn't usually consider them, after all.
GuidingStar

Post by GuidingStar »

Criteria for awarding Scholarships is different than awarding APs. Scholarships are awarded to certain number of top ranking children, regardless of their backgrounds or siblings etc. So I indeed know some family with more than 1 child getting scholarships. But the KE foundation has discretion when awarding APs, they don't follow any formal criteria on this. They take few things into consideration, not just the test score and ranking. They want to widen accessibility as wide as possible, so will definitely give priority to families who never sent a child into these schools before.

Hence very unlikely for 2 siblings being awarded just APs. It may be 1 with scholarship and the other with AP.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

What a funny assertation to make! Of course they have to follow criteria when making AP places!! They have to have balance and be able to justify decisions to their governing bodies and the Charities Commission. They will, of course, look at test scores and family income and the levels of both of these may determine whether an AP is offered at all and at what level. A candidate who also offers high drama/music/art or sport skills may also be given leeway but there will be criteria followed.
GuidingStar

Post by GuidingStar »

I don't know whether you have ever discussed this with them. Both during open days and during personal discussions, the chief masters quite often made it clear that they have wide discretion when making decisions about APs, and test score is not the sole issue. John Claughton and the chief master before him used to give numerous examples of children not doing very well in the test, yet being awarded APs and doing well during their time at the school. They used such examples to illustrate that the test performance does not say everything about a child, and hence they have the discretion to consider other factors. One such factor is that they want to open accessibility to as many new families/primary schools (who never sends any into them) as possible (of course within some limits).
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Having discretion and the ability to use a number of factors (including as I said above, ability in sport, music or drama) does not mean that they are not using criteria.

Yes they want to widen participation but their criteria will not be so clumsy as to categorically preclude two members of the same family having an AP, which is what your originally asserted.
Guest2014

Post by Guest2014 »

RE: CrazyCrofter,

Thanks for an informative post about what KEHS offers which GS may not. I get the broad picture and will have a serious think about it.
Mummy123

Post by Mummy123 »

Hello....my DD has unfortunately not got a AP due to no more funding left but has got a possibility of a fee paying one after an interview as she performed well. I was just wondering what happens when assisted places are rejected....can they be offered to families like us who have not been offered it first to me round.

Thanks in advance.

Congrats to all who got good results.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Mummy123, I think in theory APs can be offered later if enough people turn them down. From the last few years on here though, I haven't heard of that happening so it might be best not to get your hopes up. Is a full fee place possible for you?

Guest2014, do you already have another child at a grammar school? If so, I guess you are in a better position that me to judge the differences. I had a quick look at the lists of extra curricular at Camp Hill vs KEHS (from their websites). They both have the usual sports clubs (netball, hockey etc) and music ensembles. Camp Hill offers cricket coaching which KEHS doesn't and they also have cross country and a lego club! KEHS offer the following which don't seem to be available at Camp Hill: living history (historical re-enactment), gymnastics, fencing, cheerleading, ultimate Frisbee, camera club, chess, dance (loads of it), drama (again, loads!), archives, debating, lifesaving, football, rowing, ceramics. Whether this is worth paying fees for may depend on the child and of course, family finances!
veryhopeful

Post by veryhopeful »

All,

We have been offered a full paying seat but no AP for DD2, the letter stated that she has done very well in the exam but due to limited availability of bursary funds they cannot offer it to all. My elder DD1 is in KEHS on AP not sure if that was one of the reason we are turned down on AP. But neverthless we have to move on unless there is any waiting list concept on AP and we are offered that in future. DD2 has scored 228 in KE consortium exam and 351 in Walsall so we are atleast assured of one of the Grammar school places.

Best wishes to all who have gained the places in KES and KEHS.

Thanks
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now