NGHS vs WGHS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Newbiee

NGHS vs WGHS

Post by Newbiee »

Any ideas which one is better? need to fill out the CAF and struggling to choose the school for first option. I have had mixed reviews about both the schools. Both are equal distance for us. Please advice
Cosmo6

Re: NGHS vs WGHS

Post by Cosmo6 »

Newbiee wrote:Any ideas which one is better? need to fill out the CAF and struggling to choose the school for first option. I have had mixed reviews about both the schools. Both are equal distance for us. Please advice
Hi, my daughter goes to WGHS and loves it. Two years ago we were trying to decide between NGHS and WGHS. Both were an equal distance from us too. In the end it came down to personal choice as they are usually neck and neck in terms of results. For us Newport had no travel links. The only bus was the Adams Grammar bus and that is generally full with a waiting list and girls are back of the queue. Taking her there and back ourselves, every day was not an option. There was a mini bus some parents had organised from our locality but that was pretty expensive as it was under subscribed. NGHS was smaller and therefore seemed to have less of a variety of subjects and extra curricular activities to offer compared to WGHS. I had also been told by a parent of daughters who had been through the school, that subject options could be limited when choosing A levels due to these size restrictions (because its a smaller school, they are limited on space and many classrooms had to have a dual purpose) I remember when we looked around the school the first time, they had this amazing food Tech suite. The next time we went, it had been converted into a chemistry lab as they needed the room. I seem to recall that the outside space is shared with the primary school next door......

In the end for us WGHS was bigger, offered more and had easier travel links. Our DD could jump on the bus and get to the school and back herself. The school had just had a large extension when she joined and is about to start another one, offering even more facilities. There is a lot of outdoor space and separate sports hall and it just ticked all our boxes.

Both are brilliant schools academically. It depends what you are looking for.

Hope this helps :D
Jellyfish

Post by Jellyfish »

WGS all the way.
pepomom

Post by pepomom »

DD is at WGHS and loves it-she has been there for the last six years.

She has always felt part of school and they really do foster an ethos of respect and care for each other.

The academic side is strong but also how the girls 'grow' into women. We are always being complemented on her maturity and polite confidence-I find most of her friends the same.

Occasionally there is a 'duff' teacher but on the whole she/we couldn't be happier.
Newbiee

Post by Newbiee »

Thank you so much..so far its looks like WGHS is leading :) . I have compared the schools academics wise and both as equal which is even more confusing...I am just going to go with my instinct :x