Thoughts on Late Feb this time last year...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ABN

Re: Thoughts on Late Feb this time last year...

Post by ABN »

Hi
I remember seeing a post that had highest scores (PP & Non PP )of all the Birmingham grammar schools .Can anyone give me the link to that post please ?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Is it this one?

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... =11&t=7148" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OldTrout

Post by OldTrout »

ABN wrote:Hi
I remember seeing a post that had highest scores (PP & Non PP )of all the Birmingham grammar schools .Can anyone give me the link to that post please ?
Hi ABN

Kenyacowgirls post links to the PP & nonPP cut offs for national offers day - but in fact pupils with lower PP or Non PP scores were ultimately admitted to the various grammar schools because Birmingham City Council required the grammar schools to offer to PAN (pupil allocation number - in other words to offer the exact number of spaces available and not over that, even though they know some students will decline the offer) on March 1st 2016 (and will most likely do so again this year).

It may help to see the 2016 wait list discussion set up by the fabulous UM

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 11&t=46101

- the second post gives information on what is known about waitlist offers after national offers day. Bear in mind that not everyone involved with the grammar schools is on this forum - but information is pretty solid - and does show that if you are 2-3 pts below the cut off on national offers day you are in with a good chance.

It may be a wait - but don't give up.

Best of luck everybody.

OT
ABN

Post by ABN »

Thank u Kenyancowgirl and old trout !DS score is 235 and
Five ways our first choice !quite an anxious wait !
OldTrout

Post by OldTrout »

ABN wrote:Thank u Kenyancowgirl and old trout !DS score is 235 and
Five ways our first choice !quite an anxious wait !
Hi ABN:

As I've posted - we were in absolutely the same position last year (2016) with small fry for CHG. We were four above the 2015 cut off of 231 and we knew we had a good chance but it may be the wait list for us.

My view is that you are 2 pts clear of last year's cut off. OK it could rise 4 pts (which seems to be the max any grammar will rise year on year) but it is quite clear from the wait list 2016 post from UM that usually scores 3 pts below the cut off get in. So even in 'worse case scenario' and this year's cut off for Five Ways rises 5 pts to 238 - you'd still be highly likely to get off the wait list on 235.

I can't prove this - but I know that a lot of people put camp hill boys or girls first with five ways as second choice - so there is usually quite a bit of movement on the FW wait list.

Honestly ABN it's looking very good. I don't think you should feel it's guaranteed you will get FW on national offers day - but you should feel pretty confident your DS will get in. It's close but there's a very good chance he's done enough.

Keep positive!

OT
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

I was here this time last year and I remember it well. As someone said it was a leap year so we had to wait a day longer!

Last year's initial cut off score for KEFW did increase from the previous year. Offers day last year was 233, however having kept an eye on things, there were approx 58 offers from the waiting list and someone started KEFW a few weeks ago in year 7 (based on other posts I think the score was around 229)

All the schools made a number of offers from the waiting lists, so if your child just misses out on Wednesday, try not to fret too much :? They could will get their first choice school.

Good luck everyone
ABN

Post by ABN »

Thanks OT for ur very honest analysis based reply !Feeling relieved and showed ur message to my DS.We r both relieved now !Seriously touched by Wonderful people in this forum !
ABN
JollyBean

Post by JollyBean »

Well said Oldtrout.

Here’s hoping everyone’s kids get a school they are happy at.
advain18

Post by advain18 »

Such a well written post. Thank you

BR
V