Thoughts on instrumental lessons at Bham state grammars

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
OldTrout

Thoughts on instrumental lessons at Bham state grammars

Post by OldTrout »

Hello prospective state grammar schools in Birmingham pupils/ parents:

I know that there will shortly be welcome meetings at various schools (or indeed some may already have happened) for parents and new crop of Y7 pupils.

I know that there will be a lot to absorb at this time and I'm sorry to possibly add to your list - but if you have been learning an instrument through Birmingham Music Services at a state primary - NOW is the time to ask questions.

Talk to the KE grammar/ ask questions at meetings - make sure you understand how they will be handling your child's need to continue with their instrumental lessons. How much will lessons cost? Will there be a chance of a loaned instrument? What is their arrangement for pupil premium students?

We parents don't realise how lucky we have been to have the wonderful loan of instruments & lesson/ performance opportunities Birmingham Music Services provide through their instrumental lessons to our children at a state primary in Birmingham and quite understandably as parents, we just assume things will continue much the same as they have - but the Birmingham state grammars split from Birmingham Music Services in 1994 and have each made their own separate arrangements - so each state grammar will operate a different system.

In some cases, there will be no issues at all (and I hope that will be the case for your child) - but, unfortunately, in some cases you may find it is difficult to carry on (as was our experience).

If this issue does directly concern you/ your child - please do ask questions now - so that you have to time to attempt to ensure your child can continue instrumental lessons in secondary school.

OT
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now