Hello 2017 sitters!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
crazycrofter

Re: Hello 2017 sitters!

Post by crazycrofter »

Like OT says, getting the expectations right is also key. I've spoken to two parents recently whose children are getting 80% plus on practice tests and they're really stressed out that they're getting so many answers wrong!

The feedback a couple of years ago, when people asked for actual scores, showed that even for CHB you only need around 80% if I remember rightly. At the other end of the scale kids were getting into HGS with less than 60%.

I found that really helpful as initially my husband (who was doing the tutoring) panicked when our son got 55%-60% in his first few practice tests. In actual fact I don't think he ever got more than 70% in a practice test and he got 213 in the real thing which I'm guessing was early 60s. Clearly if we had only wanted FW or CHB that wouldn't have been enough so it depends where you're aiming, but the message is still valid - full marks is not necessary!
Last edited by crazycrofter on Tue May 16, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
um

Post by um »

Stansmum wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:Stansmum... "...My son isn't having tutoring but we've done some work with him and it's really useful to see the breakdown..."

He is having tutoring if you are working with him...! It may be DIY but it is still tutoring! :)

Oh, I know. And I'm an English teacher as well, I'm not underselling myself! I meant as in tutoring from the company running the exams. Like GoodbyeKitty, I wondered if the exam style favoured children already tutored by them.

Thanks all for the tips on NVR, it does seem that speed practice (once the basics are in place) may be the way. Like Candel's LO though, speed can mean sloppiness for us. My son and his friends are competitive in school and often rush their work, to the chagrin of the teacher.

Is anyone planning NOT to do another mock?
I think quite a few will be skipping the June one as it is reasonably likely to fall on Eid.
My ds certainly wouldn't want to do an exam on Eid, and it would be very unfair to expect him to - it needs to be a completely 11 Plus - free day :D
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

We too had already booked August - did it in January! This is more for the fact that DS has one last practice before the 'real thing' to try and help with exam technique. Not sure he's too impressed as it's 3 days after his birthday!!

In some respects I'm unsure how the company can say that those who scored 69% or below in the May test didn't get their choice of GS last year, because unless they contact all 600 parents, how do they know? :?

We will just keep preparing with small varied chunks, and try and increase speed gradually. Like you Goodbyekitty, our 3 local schools are not ideal, and having seen how much DS1 has thrived in a GS environment makes it harder to think about, but we will make the most of whatever the outcome. He has learnt so much through this process that it won't go to waste.

Will definitely make the most of the holidays and spend lots of quality time together - just throw some 'non-obvious' learning in when visiting places - 'ooh, look at that pretty vase - how else could you describe it? DS - ornate, decorative, etc. Fantastic answers! :D '
Goodbyekitty

Post by Goodbyekitty »

Crazycrofter I think getting into any grammar school is an achievement.

Even now doing the bond 10 mins books DS is up and down and not consistent. I try not to let it bother me too much and ask him to try harder the next time.

Um my friend wanted to book the mocks in June but they're all fully booked.

Helen hopefully the DC will feel more confident perform better in the August mocks. Your DS is one of the younger ones like my son who is end of June.
They get extra points don't they for being younger?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now