Registering for the 11 Plus exams

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
um

Registering for the 11 Plus exams

Post by um »

All registration forms are now available to register your child for the 11 Plus examinations.

To register for the Birmingham consortium grammar schools' examination on Saturday 9th September: https://www.birminghamgrammarschools.or ... ineapp.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To register for the Walsall consortium grammar schools' examination on Monday 18th September: https://applyonline2018.gsconsortiumsww.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To register for the KEHS (Girls) Independent School examination on Friday 6th October: http://www.kehs.org.uk/Forms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To register for the KES (Boys) Independent School examination on Saturday 7th October: http://www.kes.org.uk/application-form.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
um

Re: Registering for the 11 Plus exams

Post by um »

The photo size must be under 2MB for it to upload to the Bham Grammar School form.
I took a photo with my phone, then emailed it to myself and used http://compressjpeg.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in order to get the photo below 2MB so that I could attach it.
Goodbyekitty

Post by Goodbyekitty »

Hi UM, can I ask if it is only online registry only for the Birmingham Grammar Test?
I need to help some friends register their kids for the exam and I was wondering if there would be postal registration forms available as im not sure if I could register multiple applications with my email address?
um

Post by um »

Information packs are available from the schools themselves and I presume any forms would need to be posted to the foundation office in Edgbaston.

It's important on any form that it is signed (or ticked online) by the parent or legal guardian of a child.
You can certainly help someone fill in the form but cannot make the application for them, if that makes sense.
Goodbyekitty

Post by Goodbyekitty »

Oh that's great thank you um.

It's only because I phone up Queen Mary Grammar school in Walsall and they told me that it was only online registry only.

Maybe different grammar consortiums have different admission processes.
um

Post by um »

I cannot say with certainty that the Bham consortium are allowing paper forms this year.
They have in the past. Please let us know once you have enquired!

The website simply states that information packs can be collected from the grammar schools.

It also states:
When registering you will need to upload a clear photograph
of the candidate’s face (head and shoulders) taken within the
last three months. This must be a clear photo of the candidates
face or it will NOT be accepted. Sending any other type
of photograph other than what is requested will delay the
completion of registering your child for the test.

which suggests that online registration is either compulsory or highly recommended. After all, it says 'upload'.
(BTW I am aware of the missing apostrophe in the section above :? - I just copied and pasted)

I know the schools are trying to widen applications from across Birmingham, including from disadvantaged groups, so would be surprised if no paper form is offered as I imagine that some families will have difficulty managing the online form and uploading the photo.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

um wrote:I cannot say with certainty that the Bham consortium are allowing paper forms this year.

The website simply states that information packs can be collected from the grammar schools.

It also states:

which suggests that online registration is either compulsory or highly recommended. After all, it says 'upload'.
(BTW I am aware of the missing apostrophe in the section above :? - I just copied and pasted)

I know the schools are trying to widen applications from across Birmingham, including from disadvantaged groups, so would be surprised if no paper form is offered as I imagine that some families will have difficulty managing the online form and uploading the photo.
No mention of paper forms that I can see here

https://www.schoolsofkingedwardvi.co.uk ... s/grammar/

Is the Birmingham CAF online only? If so, perhaps they assume that since everyone (local) has to cope with that, they should be able to complete the exam registration online as well?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Goodbyekitty

Post by Goodbyekitty »

I hope they still do as a few of the parents at my son's school do not have an email address.

Will phone up Bishop Vesey tomorrow morning and ask.
um

Post by um »

ToadMum wrote:
um wrote:I cannot say with certainty that the Bham consortium are allowing paper forms this year.

It also states:

No mention of paper forms that I can see here

https://www.schoolsofkingedwardvi.co.uk ... s/grammar/

Is the Birmingham CAF online only? If so, perhaps they assume that since everyone (local) has to cope with that, they should be able to complete the exam registration online as well?
Whilst Birmingham LA has encouraged online registration for some years now, paper forms have always still been available via libraries and schools.
I would imagine this will continue.
Not every parent in Birmingham has access to a computer or the internet.
Frankly, not every parent in Birmingham has access to adequate food, heating, clothing and shoes for their child or a decent home to live in either.
This is most definitely the reality and I have seen it with my own eyes when working with schools and communities locally.
The most shoplifted items in WH Smith in Birmingham city centre are 11 Plus books; if you visit, you will see that they've now installed CCTV in this specific area to combat the issue. I would imagine many of these are not taken out of greed, but out of desperation. For families on the breadline, £8.99 on a book is an unachievable luxury.
I am therefore interested to see if the consortium does allow paper forms, as to disallow this would potentially limit access to applicants.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

"The most shoplifted items in WH Smith in Birmingham City Centre are 11 plus books."

That is really sad. There are so many free papers online and libraries give one hour of online use free every day so they can be accessed freely by those who do not have the internet at home. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now