BV Primary School's Outreach Programme

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
helen0209

BV Primary School's Outreach Programme

Post by helen0209 »

Not sure if people are aware of the below, but thought it may be of use to some of you.

DS's Primary School were given leaflets regarding an Outreach Programme that BV are running. Essentially there is a launch event on Monday 19th June between 5pm and 6pm which offers guidance for registering for the exam and runs through the programme of events which will run for the following weeks; this is for parents and students. Then every Wednesday from 21st June - 19th July from 2pm - 3:30pm they have Test Tutoring for students only. The session on 12th July they get to experience life in a GS by participating in sports and music.

Not sure how many schools have received these leaflets, but to secure a place the contact is Mrs Julie Evetts on 0121 250 5400. She asked if I had a boy or girl so assumed it was open to both, but can't confirm. Not sure if they have targeted specific Primary Schools or if it is open to all, but she did ask which school he attended. The programme is completely free.

Thought we'd give it a go as there's nothing to lose, and it may motivate DS to concentrate a bit more on his studies!! :roll:
um

Re: BV Primary School's Outreach Programme

Post by um »

I was told by BV at last year's open evening that this was for children from specific primary schools only.

I mentioned my dc's Primary School (a state school) and was told that it wasn't for schools like that - I presumed because it's a relatively good primary and they were aiming at primaries who send few children to GS?
Goodbyekitty

Post by Goodbyekitty »

My DS attends a local Sutton primary and we've not recieved any leaflets about this outreach programme.

I know that every year his school usually chooses 2 boys from Y5 to attend a test familiarisation morning held at BV, and these boys are usually the 2 top performing boys in the year.
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

DS is at a primary school in the Pype Hayes area, and as far as I'm aware no one in the last 4 years has gone to BV. Last year there was one pupil who went to HGS and the year before there was 1 HGS and 2 SCGSG. Perhaps this is why we have the leaflets?
Goodbyekitty

Post by Goodbyekitty »

I think it's a great idea though helen0209. :D

I hope your DS really enjoys his experience there and I do think it will give him more motivation to do well in the exam.
Goodbyekitty

Post by Goodbyekitty »

Have just phoned BV enquiring about the outreach programme and was told that they are now accepting children from sutton schools but my DS needed to be PP to qualify.
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Thanks Goodbyekitty.

I agree, I think it's a great idea and hopefully he will enjoy it.

It's good they have opened it up to PP children in Sutton schools, but on the flip side it is a shame that more people from the schools they were targeting didn't take it up. BV can only do so much to try and reach these families. I think in this area GS's have a stigma attached to them, and one parent even said to me that he wasn't putting his daughter in for the 11+ because they don't have the money to compete with other families and she would be left out! I did try and explain it wasn't like that, but he wasn't having any of it. It's a real shame as she is so intelligent and would have thrived in a challenging environment.
Goodbyekitty

Post by Goodbyekitty »

Your right. All primary schools should provide parents with better information about the 11+.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now