HGS induction day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
crazycrofter

HGS induction day

Post by crazycrofter »

If anyone has a son going to the induction day next week - what are they going to wear? I rang the school and they were very vague - she said 'school uniform but no one will say anything if they wear their own clothes '!

My problem is that ds is home educated - he'll have to wear own clothes unless I buy him some grey school trousers and a white shirt so he doesn't stand out. Just want to know what others are doing before I go to those lengths!
Nard

Re: HGS induction day

Post by Nard »

My DS2 is going to induction day and will be wearing normal clothes not school uniform. DS1 went to induction day two years ago and he did the same. From what I can remember 2 years ago most of the boys wore their own clothes.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Thank you! If there's at least one other boy in normal clothes my son should feel okay!
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

When DS1 did it last year it was probably half in uniform and half not, so he won't be out of place in his own clothes.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Thanks Helen, that's good to know!

As the letter doesn't actually say, I imagine that a lot of people will just make assumptions one way or the other, if they don't get round to ringing the school. It wasn't a very precise letter at all really - no clarity on the lunch either - is this typical of communications from HGS?!!
Homeheartis

Post by Homeheartis »

I just rang them to ask about lunch and they confirmed it is provided by the school. As is writing materials. My son will be in normal clothes I never even thought about uniform.
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

crazycrofter wrote:Thanks Helen, that's good to know!

As the letter doesn't actually say, I imagine that a lot of people will just make assumptions one way or the other, if they don't get round to ringing the school. It wasn't a very precise letter at all really - no clarity on the lunch either - is this typical of communications from HGS?!!
No, it isn't typical communication :) In fact, last year's letter recommended that they didn't bring their own lunch and try the canteen, and that it would be provided for free! A lot of general communication is done by e-mail / e-newsletters, but events specific to your child are letters. We haven't had any problems with them, so hopefully yours was a one off. Hope he enjoys the day.
Penguin Mom

Post by Penguin Mom »

Thanks for this, I was also wondering about dress code and lunch arrangements as it wasn't mentioned in the letter......... . :)

Also please can current HGS parents advise on the date of the first day of the new autumn term? The website gives term dates but states 'these dates do not include staff training days at the moment' - thanks.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I would think if the dates "do not include" staff training dates, then the dates on the website are the ones where the kids are supposed to be in school....
Penguin Mom

Post by Penguin Mom »

Hi kenyancowgirl - just to clarify - last autumn term dates were listed as beginning on Mon 5th Sept, but then 2 staff training days were slotted in, so school actually started on Wed 7th Sept.

I was wondering if it would be similar this year.