Refusal for extra time for dyslexic dd.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

thirdtimemum

Refusal for extra time for dyslexic dd.

Post by thirdtimemum »

Hi, I've posted the below on the SEN board but wondering anyone local has any experience of requesting extra time for the exam? It is Walsall that have got back to me

My daughter has dyslexia, dyscalculia and hypermobility. Due to this I requested a number of adjustments. Some of this has been approved, some refused and others have just been ignored and not acknowledged. I have been granted use of her own pencil, a slope and a fidget cushion. I have been refused extra time as "her reading speed is normal and it is not suggested that the school allow extra time". What they have failed to see, which amazes me, is that is it her short term memory and processing speed that need the extra time. The school also did actually state that they allow her extra time and both her Educational Psychologist reports recommend it. The letter states that she will receive an unfair advantage over other children, no mention that she is at an unfair advantage!
They have approved my use of a yellow overlay which I did not request, I asked for yellow paper. An overlay would be very difficult to use on an answer sheet which is where she will need it to assist her with marking the correct answer next to the correct number. They have also not acknowledged my requests for slow instructions, ensuring she has understood each instruction prior to each paper. They have ignored a request for allowances to be made for spelling ( as recommended in her educational psychologist reports ) and also ignored a request for it to be checked by hand (as her handwriting is so poor she may struggle to put the answers in the box correctly.
I am in the process of replying, but unsure what to do next. My educational psychologist reports are from 2014 and 2015. At a cost of £250 a time I'm not sure if it is worth having a new one done. The school assessments are very basic and just say she is 'average' but do point out her poor short term memory and poor handwriting skills. What else can I do? All the reports and school are supportive of my requests but they are saying no.
Please feel free to reply on here or PM me. 
Thank you so much for any advice
mpquikster

Re: Refusal for extra time for dyslexic dd.

Post by mpquikster »

Does your DD have yellow paper at school now or use an overlay?

Does this test have handwriting or is it multiple choice? If there are no written sections then spelling would not come in to it.

It is a difficult one when you ask to ensure she has understood each question. To repeat the questions and wait for her to acknowledge she has understood them could be argued that it places her at an advantage. What if she did not understand the question, what would you expect to be done?

If you have applied to any other areas it would be interesting to see if they are in line with the decisions made here.
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

Thank you for your response. Yes she dies have yellow paper for some of her work and the whiteboard is often yellow. I don't think I have explained myself properly with regards to the instructions. It is purely when they are told at the beginning on the CD. Just when told the time allowed, when to turn over, how to write on the sheet. I have no idea how quick these instructions are but a brief pause in between each sentence would assist so she has time to process each one. I certainly don't expect this when the exam actually starts.
mpquikster

Post by mpquikster »

Just make sure you have gone through the familiarisation stuff assuming Walsall have any. As long as she knows how to mark the answers, it won't come as a surprise, she'll be fine and give her the opportunity to listen carefully to the instructions.
mum1115

Post by mum1115 »

when my daughter was preparing for her 11+ we used the letts practice papers, this set includes an audible download. It was good as she could get a feel of listening to instructions etc. Maybe this might help for practice?
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

Thank you. I hadn't thought of using a CD. She did have a formal mock test a few weeks ago and we haves summer ahead of us doing tests so we'll see how she goes.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now