Wolverhampton Walsall Wrekin 11 plus exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Aishu

Re: Wolverhampton Walsall Wrekin 11 plus exam

Post by Aishu »

Hi@Quasimodo.I have 5 choices.And our local schools are Kingswinford secondary school and Summer hill secondary school.I will follow your suggestion.Thanks for your help.
Wyre

Post by Wyre »

I don't want to disagree but Dudley is 31 miles from Newport with no public transport links. If you take him by car you would be looking at 1 hr plus journey at best, probably longer travelling through Wolverhampton in rush hour.

Unless you move to Newport before the 31st October, you will be classed as out of area on your application.

I agree you should put Wolverhampton as your first choice, probably QM as your second and as I suggested another Birmingham school as your 3rd.

Newport, if you can get over the logistics above would be 4th if I was filling in your form.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Wyre wrote:I don't want to disagree but Dudley is 31 miles from Newport with no public transport links. If you take him by car you would be looking at 1 hr plus journey at best, probably longer travelling through Wolverhampton in rush hour.

Unless you move to Newport before the 31st October, you will be classed as out of area on your application.

I agree you should put Wolverhampton as your first choice, probably QM as your second and as I suggested another Birmingham school as your 3rd.

Newport, if you can get over the logistics above would be 4th if I was filling in your form.
Wyre this is not your application nor is it my application.I am not going to repeat what has been said. The list has been compiled in accordance with Aishu's true preferences as expressed by her on this public forum.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
RanaHamid

Post by RanaHamid »

Hi folks. I am new to this blog. I need help. My DS scored 206 at Birmingham Grammar Consortium and 319 at QMGS. He is eligible for PP and we already sent confirmation of PP to the relevent schools. I put QMGS as 1st, HGS 2nd, BV 3rd, KEA 4th. Could you all please advise me, from all of yours experiences, whether he would be able to secure a place in any of the above mentioned schools?
Thank you.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

RanaHamid wrote:Hi folks. I am new to this blog. I need help. My DS scored 206 at Birmingham Grammar Consortium and 319 at QMGS. He is eligible for PP and we already sent confirmation of PP to the relevent schools. I put QMGS as 1st, HGS 2nd, BV 3rd, KEA 4th. Could you all please advise me, from all of yours experiences, whether he would be able to secure a place in any of the above mentioned schools?
Thank you.
Hi Rana,

Welcome to the forum.

It is difficult to make any predictions with any accuracy .

In your letter from QMGS you should have been advised what the qualifying score is likely to be for PP.Is it 305 which was the likely qualifying score for QMHS yet to be ratified by their governors ?

HGS do not have a seperate PP qualifying score as far as I am aware at present.

Last year BV had a qualifying score of 204 and KEA of 205.These are set each year.Places are allocated down to the qualifying scores in accordance with the PP list.The last scoring boy could be above 206 for both BV and KEA in completing the available places.The qualifying score for each school could be set above 206.

It is impossible to say whether your son could gain a place at these last two schools.

Making a complete guess I think your son will be offered a place at either QMGS or HGS.
In the case of the latter relying on the last two years cut offs where places were offered off the waiting lists at 206 the cut off being 208 on offers day..
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
El-jewel

Post by El-jewel »

Hello friends.
Does anyone have an idea of the range of scores for a 'strongly encouraged to apply' letter from AGS? Maybe someone from the forum had one in years past?

Also if one decides not to obtain subject access via the data protection act, do they at any point get their child's score either by March 1st or prior to start of year 7?
Thanks
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

El-jewel wrote:Hello friends.
Does anyone have an idea of the range of scores for a 'strongly encouraged to apply' letter from AGS? Maybe someone from the forum had one in years past?

Also if one decides not to obtain subject access via the data protection act, do they at any point get their child's score either by March 1st or prior to start of year 7?
Thanks
I don't think you will get any positive responses to these questions.

The words "strongly encouraged to apply" can have any interpretation and indeed could cover a different range in different years.

No one at Adams has mentioned on this forum receiving their child's score after they have been allocated a place or prior to start of year 7.The scores irrelevant after you have your place anyway.

Abraham Lincoln
El-jewel

Post by El-jewel »

quasimodo wrote:

Thanks

The words "strongly encouraged to apply" can have any interpretation and indeed could cover a different range in different years.

No one at Adams has mentioned on this forum receiving their child's score after they have been allocated a place or prior to start of year 7.The scores irrelevant after you have your place anyway.
Very true quasimodo, the score is irrelevant then. The whole process is an experience in itself. It feels like it's not complete without putting a number to it at the end of it all.
I want QMGS for my child since it's nearer but I didn't realise the implications of selecting AG as first choice. I did the application last minute so I am certain I ticked it unknowingly. But I think it worked out for best, now I know they do not release the score at any stage. I'll contact CEM. Thanks
El-jewel

Post by El-jewel »

El-jewel wrote:
quasimodo wrote:

Thanks

Very true quasimodo, the score is irrelevant then. The whole process is an experience in itself. It feels like it's not complete without putting a number to it at the end of it all.
I want QMGS for my child since it's nearer but I didn't realise the implications of selecting AG as first choice. I did the application last minute so I am certain I ticked it unknowingly. But I think it worked out for best, now I know they do not release the score at any stage. I'll contact CEM. Thanks
I have had some positive responses to my questions on another forum, for the benefit of those with like questions. It appears that any score above the the median score is strongly encouraged to apply. Some with 325 have been successful. Scores were retrieved from CEM.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

By median do you mean 300 ? Therefore any score above 300 ? This would make sense as scores for the limited numbers in catchment fall quite low but for the rest the encouragement in their letters can be misleading.This means for the majority who are out of catchment and encouraged to apply will be in for a disappointment.

In my opinion it also allows a school to say we had X number of pupils applying for Y number of places at the school even though its done on a false premiss. A number of parents if they knew the reality of the scores of their boys and previous years out of catchment cut offs simply wouldn't bother applying to the school.

Abraham Lincoln