Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: % continuing tuition
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:22 am 

We have decided to keep going with tuition for DD2. DD2 has virtually no chance of gaining above average score so were continuing on this years 11+

By way of pure anecdote one of DD1 teachers at KE said to her how come your work is always well presented and she attributes it to a mnemonic she was taught in year 5. Something like dumtums, date.. underline...title.

So DD2 missed out on this or wasn't paying attention or whatever, so our remit for continuing tuition is learning skills. Things like

Dictionary skills
Creative writing
Presentation.

That is our plan B or part of it at least.

Pp

Post subject: Re: % continuing tuition
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:34 pm 

It's a shame there are fewer places for girls in Birmingham grammars. There is nothing for the girls who score in the region of 207-216, whereas boys have HGS as an option.

Your dd may well do better than you think. As I've mentioned before, ds got 34% in the only mock he took (in Aug) but he went on to score 213. Did your dd do any mixed papers (CGP/Letts) at home? His scores in these seemed more representative of his ability. We didn't do any Bond but I've heard they're harder.

Is she taking KEHS?

Post subject: Re: % continuing tuition
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:16 am 

I think crazycrofter raises a good point - there are less places for girls than boys and the boys seem to be able to score an incredibly wide range of scores - low 200s through 250+ - whereas the girls really do need to be >216 (although my feeling is 219) to make it in.

I will say Petitpois - that part of our plan B has been my continuing to 'push' at home. Looking over homework and saying - Really? That's a well-researched report? I don't think the teacher asked you to quote Wikipedia did s/he?

We also have tried to encourage doing that bit more. It's an uphill battle and there's a lot of 'But Mum, nobody else does this!' - but our view is that's simply not the point.

My view is anything you do to shore up what's happening at school - will pay dividends.

---------------------

I also agree with Crazycrofter. You may well find your DD2 'was in the zone' on the day - and totally surprises you (and herself) with a high score.

I really hope so - anyway!

all the best

OT