Camphill Schools GCSE results 2017

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JaneEyre

Re: Camphill Schools GCSE results 2017

Post by JaneEyre »

JaneEyre wrote: May be I should start to make a move?
Well, I have made a move and have contacted the exams officer at my college.
To my great relief, my grade has moved up which shows that there is definitely a lot of issues with the marking of exam papers in this country. :shock:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

JaneEyre wrote:To my great relief, my grade has moved up which shows that there is definitely a lot of issues with the marking of exam papers in this country. :shock:
No there isn't - mistakes are made in everything. The % of adjustments is very small compared to the number of papers sat and marked in a short time.
People are paid very little to mark and are expected to mark quickly ... pay them more and extend the time given and mistakes would be rare. However that will never happen.

As I said unchanged or lowered marks never get into the news. :roll:
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Guest55 wrote: People [...] are expected to mark quickly ...
I do not know how examiners mark the French baccalureat so quickly then!! The exams are taken in June... and results are out two- three weeks later. This is such a far shorter time scale !
I cannot comment on the pay as I do not know.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Perhaps they have far more people marking them?

Anyway - back on topic - why are these results of any interest? They will tell you nothing about how your child will do in six years time.
imranb

Post by imranb »

Guest55 wrote:Perhaps they have far more people marking them?

Anyway - back on topic - why are these results of any interest? They will tell you nothing about how your child will do in six years time.
Being interested in how your child's school is performing is perfectly normal and expected from any parent who is closely involved with their child's education. Being disinterested would be an aberration.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They will vary very little each year - if there's a problem it will be automatically flagged to Ofsted.
Moonsun

Post by Moonsun »

Just got results for daughter fir bham 11 plus

Never visited camp hill as thought she would not get in

Surprisingly had very good results

Now the tricky part-- is Sutton girls good academically ? How does it compare with camp hill? Sutton is closer to us

Also at sixth form are boys and girls merged together at camp hill

Any thoughts any advice is welcone

Thanks
Raven07

Post by Raven07 »

Moonsun wrote:Just got results for daughter fir bham 11 plus

Never visited camp hill as thought she would not get in

Surprisingly had very good results

Now the tricky part-- is Sutton girls good academically ? How does it compare with camp hill? Sutton is closer to us

Also at sixth form are boys and girls merged together at camp hill

Any thoughts any advice is welcone

Thanks
Hi Moonsun. My DD has scored well enough for us to apply for CHG too and I’ve arranged a visit to the school next week so that she can get a proper feel for the school on a normal day as we can’t make the open day next Thursday. I’d suggest you ring the school and go the same if you’re considering it as an option?

The boys and girls do indeed come together st Sixth Form.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Hi Moonsun

I'd say you need to consider distance if you have the choice. Sutton have a slightly wider range of abilities (as their entry score is lower) so their GCSE results reflect that. The high fliers do just as well as those at Camp Hill though.

If the difference in distance is significant, I'd go for the nearer school, unless Camp Hill does extra curricular or subjects that Sutton doesn't and they are of particular interest to your daughter. My son travels a long way to school as we only had one choice of grammar and he's coping fine but I would have definitely chosen a nearer school if we'd had the choice as I'm finding the early mornings tiring!
solimum

Post by solimum »

As I recall from DS2's time there at Sixth Form (this is c 10 years ago) the boys and girls had a certain amount of joint social space in the 6th form block, and a couple of minority subjects (drama & music for example) were taught together in mixed classes, but they were in separate lessons for most subjects. DS2 found that his 5 years at a mixed comprehensive put him well ahead of the game at getting on well with girls as friends! (and another girl from his comp also joined the 6th form at CHG at the same time so they were able to share lifts)

worth checking whether any of this has changed. IIRC the boys school was keener on joint activities than the girls school!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now