The Parliamentary Review:Best practice;Secondary Education

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

quasimodo

The Parliamentary Review:Best practice;Secondary Education

Post by quasimodo »

The Parliamentary Review has just been launched and amongst its sections it highlights best public practice in Secondary schools.The schools appear in five sections these are the schools in the "East and Midlands" and "West Midlands " sections.I have also posted links to the sections.Don't ask me how certain schools appear in one section and not in another.
The Market Bosworth School
Witchford Village College
Buxton Community School
Debenham High School
Granville Sports College
Manor High School
New Mills School
Newbridge High School
Northampton School for Girls
Sir Jonathan North Community College
St John Fisher Catholic High School
Creative Education Trust
Wolverhampton Girls’ High School
Adams’ Grammar School
Birmingham Ormiston Academy
St Michael’s CE High School
Bishop Vesey’s Grammar School
King’s Norton Boys’ School
Old Swinford Hospital
Walsall Academy
The North Birmingham Academy
Oldbury Academy
St Martins School
St Mary’s RC High School
The Friary School
Dyson Perrins Church of England Academy
The Telford Langley School
Walkwood Church of England Middle School

https://www.theparliamentaryreview.co.u ... st-england" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.theparliamentaryreview.co.u ... t-midlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are a wide selection of schools with a few grammars.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Ricky74

Re: The Parliamentary Review:Best practice;Secondary Educati

Post by Ricky74 »

I think schools pay a hefty premium to appear in this hence only certain schools appearing. It's a lovely glossy publucation though and an interestin read.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Ricky74 wrote:I think schools pay a hefty premium to appear in this hence only certain schools appearing. It's a lovely glossy publucation though and an interestin read.
I believe you are selected which is apparent from what is written in the schools section.In the section on Adams Grammar it ends with

"I had no idea that our quiet revolution
at Adams’ would ever attract such national interest".

An article from last year.

http://www.bognor.co.uk/news/education/ ... -1-7587338" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
purplelilacs

Post by purplelilacs »

The company I work for was "approached" to appear in a Parliamentary Review applicable to our sector. There is quite a hefty price tag attached so we declined.

I've no idea how they decide who to approach but it was definitely a sales pitch wrapped up as something else if you know what I mean.

Obviously I can't speak for other sectors so have no idea how they selected these schools but I would suspect its a similar process.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

I believe you may be confusing the Parliamentary Review which involves following selection and publication, attendance at a gala at the Palace of Westminister with the Parliamentary year books.

https://www.theparliamentaryreview.co.uk/about" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Abraham Lincoln
purplelilacs

Post by purplelilacs »

It was definitely the Parliamentary Review, I just checked back in my emails and the links they gave. We were "invited" to participate which would have included attending the Annual Gala. But there was a cost attached.

Obviously there might have been some pre-selection that went on before we were approached. But as we weren't happy to pay to be involved we're not going to be featured.

We're not connected to education though so have no idea how the process works for them. Just sharing our experience of the publication.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

purplelilacs wrote:It was definitely the Parliamentary Review, I just checked back in my emails and the links they gave. We were "invited" to participate which would have included attending the Annual Gala. But there was a cost attached.

Obviously there might have been some pre-selection that went on before we were approached. But as we weren't happy to pay to be involved we're not going to be featured.

We're not connected to education though so have no idea how the process works for them. Just sharing our experience of the publication.
There's no doubting what you say.

Since this seems to be produced by the government of the day the principal source of funding must be the taxpayer. I can't imagine organisations like the Christie hospital or any school funded through the taxpayer paying.It would make no sense and it would not in my view be a justifiable cost when every penny has to be well spent.It wouldn't justify the time spent in many schools by many parents in raising extra funds for their schools.

I also had a quick look at the summary published accounts of the publishers on the internet which show a very small income stream for a organisation making a publication which is now going to some 500,000 business's and individuals.

Abraham Lincoln
calba65

Post by calba65 »

Has anyone else been approached by this magazine? Be interested to hear what you were offered?
Silent House

Post by Silent House »

Schools are approached to appear in this publication and it is not cheap.

It’s a slick sales pitch, which is able to assert the credentials of Parliament.

Even if you were not approached, I am sure you could call up and ask to be in it.

This publication is influenced by commercial considerations to the extent that its impartiality cannot be relied upon.
El-jewel

Post by El-jewel »

quasimodo wrote:The Parliamentary Review has just been launched and amongst its sections it highlights best public practice in Secondary schools.The schools appear in five sections these are the schools in the "East and Midlands" and "West Midlands " sections.I have also posted links to the sections.Don't ask me how certain schools appear in one section and not in another.
The Market Bosworth School
Witchford Village College
Buxton Community School
Debenham High School
Granville Sports College
Manor High School
New Mills School
Newbridge High School
Northampton School for Girls
Sir Jonathan North Community College
St John Fisher Catholic High School
Creative Education Trust
Wolverhampton Girls’ High School
Adams’ Grammar School
Birmingham Ormiston Academy
St Michael’s CE High School
Bishop Vesey’s Grammar School
King’s Norton Boys’ School
Old Swinford Hospital
Walsall Academy
The North Birmingham Academy
Oldbury Academy
St Martins School
St Mary’s RC High School
The Friary School
Dyson Perrins Church of England Academy
The Telford Langley School
Walkwood Church of England Middle School

https://www.theparliamentaryreview.co.u ... st-england" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.theparliamentaryreview.co.u ... t-midlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are a wide selection of schools with a few grammars.
Very insightful. Thank you sharing this information. If the facts are true then the schools are worthy of the applaud.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now