Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:07 pm 

Just to pass a little time I just wondered what your thoughts are on the tutors you have used and what the feedback was like. I've just read on another thread that some tutors charge up to £100 an hour!
My DS got into the school of his choice 2 years ago but we got very little feedback over the 18 months and on results day I never got a call or text asking what his score was. How does this tutor know how good his success rate was or how good his tutoring was without feedback?
I'm waiting on DD result at the moment and even though I used a different tutor (1 to 1) the feedback again was limited. I'm wondering again if we will get a call. I doubt it as no good luck for the second exam etc.
Am I expecting too much? It is just a business to them and they are not really that interested as long as you pay?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:50 pm 

It depends on the tutor surely?

As with every business, there are good and bad examples.

Tutoring is not regulated, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:56 pm 

I know... Just wondering what other people's experience has been? Whether it is usual for a tutor to ask how they have done in the exam?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:22 pm 

Our DS has had a tutor, just for about 3 months prior to the exam. To be honest, we were in the should we/shouldn't we category, but so glad we decided to go for it just for some experience of 11+ kind of practice really, time management skills, etc. Our tutor was brilliant, always available if needed clarification on anything, and always happy to spend a good half an hour or so after the sessions giving good, honest feedback and answering our many questions! On the day of the exam, he sent a good luck text and also texted later to ask how he had got on. We received a lovely email message from him a few days later too. He has asked us to keep in touch, and he's obviously interested to hear about results/offers day. Couldn't have wished for a better tutor and mentor for our son, I think we struck gold with him. Not bad for £20 a session either for 3 months!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:27 pm 

A_Mum wrote:
Our DS has had a tutor, just for about 3 months prior to the exam. To be honest, we were in the should we/shouldn't we category, but so glad we decided to go for it just for some experience of 11+ kind of practice really, time management skills, etc. Our tutor was brilliant, always available if needed clarification on anything, and always happy to spend a good half an hour or so after the sessions giving good, honest feedback and answering our many questions! On the day of the exam, he sent a good luck text and also texted later to ask how he had got on. We received a lovely email message from him a few days later too. He has asked us to keep in touch, and he's obviously interested to hear about results/offers day. Couldn't have wished for a better tutor and mentor for our son, I think we struck gold with him. Not bad for £20 a session either for 3 months!

That sounds fabulous... I know it doesn't mean that one is better than another and I do think what is good for one won't suit another , but that is what I had expected to be honest from a tutor.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:33 pm 

I know what you mean, and regardless of DS's results, I am so glad he had this experience with his tutor. He can only have helped whichever path he takes in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:21 am 

This is really interesting as my husband is thinking of becoming a tutor, having got our two through successfully (he's a trained teacher). He's very much put off by the mercenary approach though and would want to offer more than just exam training - a more holistic approach which would benefit them educationally, regardless of the result.

What sort of feedback would you have wanted? Do you mean pointers as to what was going well, where more work was needed etc? What sort of things did they do with their tutors? I really feel that some tutors take advantage. My friend was telling me in March that their tutor suggested a second session a week (this is for a boy who was getting 80-90% at the time), purely to sit and do a mock in the tutor's house. I was flabbergasted - all the tutor would have to do for their extra £20-30 a week was mark a test.

I suggested this was entirely unnecessary but they went with it anyway! Some tutors seem to play on parents' guilt and anxiety!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:31 pm 

I home-educated both of my daughters from age 4-11 (no school, no tutors) and both are at GS. So it can be done by parents but needs time and dedication

1) try to find a tutor with previous teaching experience in schools
2) avoid high charges (£30ph)
3) don't start before child is 8
4) insist on a thorough test at the start (free ?), little point in tutoring if your 8 year old can't do basic arithmetic or spell simpel wordz.

Try to do 25 mins maths and 25 mins English every day with your child but more importantly, ensure your child READS every day. Fostering a love for reading is the single best thing you can do.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:45 pm 

Actually number 4 is a good reason to get extra support. I would hope a school would be helping too but supporting a child who needs help with basic maths and spelling is a positive aspect of tutoring surely. But I guess you are only referring to tutoring to pass a test, not actually helping a child to improve... :?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:56 pm 

crazycrofter wrote:
This is really interesting as my husband is thinking of becoming a tutor, having got our two through successfully (he's a trained teacher). He's very much put off by the mercenary approach though and would want to offer more than just exam training - a more holistic approach which would benefit them educationally, regardless of the result.

What sort of feedback would you have wanted? Do you mean pointers as to what was going well, where more work was needed etc? What sort of things did they do with their tutors? I really feel that some tutors take advantage. My friend was telling me in March that their tutor suggested a second session a week (this is for a boy who was getting 80-90% at the time), purely to sit and do a mock in the tutor's house. I was flabbergasted - all the tutor would have to do for their extra £20-30 a week was mark a test.

I suggested this was entirely unnecessary but they went with it anyway! Some tutors seem to play on parents' guilt and anxiety!

I think I would have just liked 5 minutes at the end for something other than "doing well". Our last tutor was lovely and perfect for DD. I loved the fact that he asked every week what she had been doing in school that she wanted some help with. He only did work like this if it was relevant to the 11+. In no way would the money have been wasted as he has been helpful anyway. He was what we needed for DD and I would use him again for DD if I did it again.
I suppose it would be nice to have that extra touch... the good luck text... the text after... maybe a call at the weekend.... how are they meant to judge their own capabilities if they don't get the results.