KES interviews

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kenyancowgirl

Re: KES interviews

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The KES being referred to in this thread is the independent school in Birmingham. It has an entrance test (as do most private schools) but is not a grammar school per se. Fundamentally they have to have bottoms on seats and these bottoms are usually paid for by parents (although this particular school is fairly philanthropic with bursaries and scholarships.)
Goodbyekitty

Post by Goodbyekitty »

Lili32 wrote:DS’s School received requests for school reports prior to the exam for all the boys and girls who was taking the exam.
DS school also had a request for report prior to the exam.
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

There was not a request made to my dd school prior to the exam. She is the only child in her school to take the exam.
LolaD

Post by LolaD »

thirdtimemum wrote:There was not a request made to my dd school prior to the exam. She is the only child in her school to take the exam.
Perhaps your dds school didn't inform you. I only found out by chance that KEHS had requested a report about dd from her school. This was before the exam.
I had gone to notify dd's class teacher that dd was going to be absent from school on the day of the exam, only for her to turn round and inform me that KEHS had requested a confidential report.
LolaD

Post by LolaD »

Right. Does this mean they request a report from the child’s primary school before making a selection? I did not know this at all. Or did I miss it in any correspondence from KES. Interesting.[/quote]

Maybe you did. I think it was somewhere in the KEHS correspondence sent acknowledging receipt of the exam registration form.

I don't think I took much notice of it at the time. I just thought we would be informed by dd's school if a request was made. As I've said in my previous post, dd's school did not inform us. I only found out by chance.
Goodbyekitty

Post by Goodbyekitty »

Just heard from a school mum that her daughter receive a letter for KEHS yesterday stating that she was unsuccessful.
LolaD

Post by LolaD »

KEHS letter received yesterday.
WorriedOfWyldeGreen

Post by WorriedOfWyldeGreen »

We've had an offer for an assisted place. What sort of financial information does Form 2 ask for? In the case of divorce/separation, will they take into account both parents' incomes?
Goodbyekitty

Post by Goodbyekitty »

WorriedOfWyldeGreen wrote:We've had an offer for an assisted place. What sort of financial information does Form 2 ask for? In the case of divorce/separation, will they take into account both parents' incomes?
Well done to your daughter!
Did she do well in the grammar test too?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

WorriedOfWyldeGreen wrote:We've had an offer for an assisted place. What sort of financial information does Form 2 ask for? In the case of divorce/separation, will they take into account both parents' incomes?
They don't state what they do about this situation but must be familiar with it.

Looking at both KES (from policy below) and KEHS they are aware that some people have significant assets other income etc though apparently low declared income, suspect they are also aware if one parent has v low income while absent parent is very well off.
17) It is recognised that judgements about what sacrifices a family should make to pay School fees will be
personal. However, the School have a duty to ensure that its limited charitable resources are directed
towards the most deserving cases and for this reason an Assisted Place is not intended to support families
that, with reasonable financial and personal sacrifices, could have otherwise afforded paying the full fee.
Family finances with the following characteristics would not normally be considered eligible for an Assisted
Place:
• opportunities to release capital. Significant capital savings, retained profits in a business and
investments would be expected to be used for the payment of School fees, as would equity value in
houses;
• proven ability to borrow, where families have been able to secure additional mortgages on buy-to-let
properties;
• in cases of separation, any significant contributions made by the absent parent; and
• contributions to household costs and school fees by other, wider family members, any adults unrelated
to the child or by outside sources; and
• other indicators of wealth, for example:
o Frequent or expensive holidays
o New or luxury cars
o Investment in significant home improvements
o A second property/land holdings

28) Means-tested Assisted Places are usually only available for new applicants at 11+ and 16+ at the School,
All awards are conditional on:
• full disclosure of information requested within the timescales given. A considerable amount of
personal information will be required as well as documentary evidence (this may include pay slips,
P60, HMRC self-assessment documents, pension income proof, share dividend vouchers and bank
interest, proof of residence including council tax bills etc.);
• the School satisfying itself that the information given is accurate. The School may seek objective
third-party confirmation of a family’s financial circumstances (including from a credit reference
agency); and
• a home visit from the School or its agents if the School deems this appropriate.