KES interviews

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mike1880

Re: KES interviews

Post by mike1880 »

The new CM has had his feet under the table for a year now, perhaps they're doing things differently this year.
El-jewel

Post by El-jewel »

Hello,

Isn’t KES an independent grammar school?

I had a debate with a friend who thinks it is not a grammar school, but an independent selective school.
Proud_mother

Post by Proud_mother »

Enjoyingthejourney wrote:Hi all,
Does anyone know of children being invited to interview at KES this year?
Hi, my son was called for an interview in the first week of November for academic scholarship and a child ‘s mother there told me that they have selected 45 children for the interview and amongst them 18 will be selected .( I don’t know whether this information is correct or not ).
We are from burton , not much interested in paying fees inspite of scholarship deduction if he gets ;when he has got the marks for the free grammar school .( although KES is a better school in every aspect than free grammar schools but paying fees is difficult)
I didn’t apply for assisted place so don’t know anything about it .
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

El-jewel wrote:Hello,

I had a debate with a friend who thinks it is not a grammar school, but an independent selective school.
Well, your DC sit an entrance exam, but are you then told how well they did in the exam? Wherever a report from the primary school is part of the process, the 'selection' is likely to include aspects other than the applicant's academic performance. (Something which state schools, grammar or not, are specifically prohibited from doing). So the KE Foundation KES (as opposed to the state grammar KES in Stratford upon Avon), may be a grammar school, or possibly, in the strictest sense, not.

But isn't 'consideration of the whole child', rather than just his or her exam result, meant to be an attraction of such schools? If one's DC is 'in', I suppose, at least.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
El-jewel

Post by El-jewel »

ToadMum wrote:

Well, your DC sit an entrance exam, but are you then told how well they did in the exam? Wherever a report from the primary school is part of the process, the 'selection' is likely to include aspects other than the applicant's academic performance. (Something which state schools, grammar or not, are specifically prohibited from doing). So the KE Foundation KES (as opposed to the state grammar KES in Stratford upon Avon), may be a grammar school, or possibly, in the strictest sense, not.

But isn't 'consideration of the whole child', rather than just his or her exam result, meant to be an attraction of such schools? If one's DC is 'in', I suppose, at least.
Right. Does this mean they request a report from the child’s primary school before making a selection? I did not know this at all. Or did I miss it in any correspondence from KES. Interesting.
Enjoyingthejourney

Post by Enjoyingthejourney »

They do get in touch with the primary school for a report. My son's Headteacher at the time told us that they had called.
We haven't been called to interview but it seems others have. This was a question on my mind and helpful forum members have answered it. December has suddenly been sprung upon us. The six week wait for 11plus results seemed to be much longer.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

El-jewel wrote:
ToadMum wrote:

Right. Does this mean they request a report from the child’s primary school before making a selection? I did not know this at all. Or did I miss it in any correspondence from KES. Interesting.
http://www.kes.org.uk/11and13plus.html

Home Admissions Entry at 11+ and 13+
Entry at 11+ and 13+
The deadline to receive applications for 2018 entry at 11+ has now passed.

The deadline to receive applications for 2018 entry at 13+ is Friday, 1 December 2017.

Application forms are available to download from the website.

The examination

The examination for 11+ for September 2018 entry will take place on Saturday, 7 October 2017 and the examination for 13+ for September 2018 entry will take place on Saturday, 13 January 2018. The vast majority of boys enter the school at 11+, although there are a few places - on average between two and five - for entry at 13+. Each year, we have about 125 places available at 11+.

The examination consists of three elements: a one-hour paper in Mathematics, a one-hour paper in English and a one-hour paper in Verbal Reasoning. The Mathematics and English papers are set by the School specifically for the purpose. The Mathematics paper is in three sections, starting at quite an elementary level and becoming progressively more complex. The English paper has a comprehension and the opportunity for continuous writing.

The school report is also an integral part of the process of selection and the School gives considerable weight to a candidate's non-academic achievements and activities. A large number of interviews are also conducted of candidates for Assisted Places and Scholarships and of border-line candidates.

(My bolding). From that, I would assume that reports would be requested for everyone?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Lizjohn104

Post by Lizjohn104 »

Hi, my ds went for his interview with the Chief Master a couple of weeks ago and we were told that his report had not yet arrived from his primary school but that it wasn't a problem and that they would chase it for us. At this stage, reports have only been requested for children selected for interview. However, once final places have been offered KES then requests reports for all remaining pupils in the Spring term. I hope that helps.
El-jewel

Post by El-jewel »

Lizjohn104 wrote:Hi, my ds went for his interview with the Chief Master a couple of weeks ago and we were told that his report had not yet arrived from his primary school but that it wasn't a problem and that they would chase it for us. At this stage, reports have only been requested for children selected for interview. However, once final places have been offered KES then requests reports for all remaining pupils in the Spring term. I hope that helps.
Very much thank you.
Thank you Toadmum
Lili32

Post by Lili32 »

DS’s School received requests for school reports prior to the exam for all the boys and girls who was taking the exam.