Help and advice please.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
apillow

Help and advice please.

Post by apillow »

I mentioned in this forum about us moving to B'ham from Northern Ireland.My DD1 scored 244 so we hope she will get into CHG.Now the issue is with my DD2.If we continue to live in NI she will sit her 11plus only in 2019,where as if we move to Birmingham she need to sit in 2018 September.She is a summer child(end of Aug) and technically speaking she will miss one year of learning.Is there any solution for this? I hope my question is clear. And thank you.
hermanmunster

Re: Help and advice please.

Post by hermanmunster »

If she takes the exam in Sept 2018 she will be taking it at the same time as all others of her age, yes some of them are only just over 10 years but some 11 plus areas standardise the scores to allow for this.
apillow

Post by apillow »

hermanmunster wrote:If she takes the exam in Sept 2018 she will be taking it at the same time as all others of her age, yes some of them are only just over 10 years but some 11 plus areas standardise the scores to allow for this.
I understand that, but the issue is she will be missing one year of curriculum if she does that.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

when would she have taken the test in NI? in England it is in year six.

Year six children are aged between 10 years 1 day and 11 years old on the Sept 1st before they start in year 6.

ETA - I can see the problem, the age for entry to school / defining which year they are in NI is July 1st so suspect your DD will only be going into the equivalent of year 5 or primary 6 then.

edited to add a bit more : comment below is for this year so add a year for next year! I think you need to contact the foundation office to discuss your particular case https://www.birminghamgrammarschools.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Those born between 1 September 2006 and 31 August 2007 are eligible to register to sit the test in September 2017 for entry in September 2018. Children born either side of these dates are not normally eligible.
apillow

Post by apillow »

hermanmunster wrote:when would she have taken the test in NI? in England it is in year six.

Year six children are aged between 10 years 1 day and 11 years old on the Sept 1st before they start in year 6.

ETA - I can see the problem, the age for entry to school / defining which year they are in NI is July 1st so suspect your DD will only be going into the equivalent of year 5 or primary 6 then.

edited to add a bit more : comment below is for this year so add a year for next year! I think you need to contact the foundation office to discuss your particular case https://www.birminghamgrammarschools.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Those born between 1 September 2006 and 31 August 2007 are eligible to register to sit the test in September 2017 for entry in September 2018. Children born either side of these dates are not normally eligible.

Thank you hermanmunster for your reply. She would take her test in 2019 Nov when she is in P7. There is no reception year here. So after nursery we start as P1 to P7.. Hope the Birmingham council will understand our case and allow her to sit in P5 next year. I believe that is the year she should be in when we move to there next year.
May be I can call it as a differed entry to P5 in 2018 in Birmingham

P.S Issue is with the entry dates in both places. Here it is from 2nd July 2006 to 1st July 2007 for 2018 Grammar school entry.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now