2017 scoring - Birmingham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ricky74

Re: 2017 scoring - Birmingham

Post by Ricky74 »

hmm would a distance criteria work rather than your LA? Maybe something like - I think it's Newport?
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Our address is Solihull, west midlands, but we are actually in Warwickshire (council tax to Stratford, LEA is Warwickshire)

We are one of those that have the fortunate position of being in the middle (distance wise) between the Birmingham schools and the Southern area for Warwickshire. (Both my DD and DS are at FW but both had Warwickshire schools as second choice)

The southern area in Warwickshire is a 17 mile zone measured from the fountain in the middle of Stratford, anyone in this zone is in the southern priority area. A lowest qualifying score is set, anyone on the southern area above this score (dependant on places available) will be offered a place.

If places then remain, those outside the priority area, above the qualifying score, then get offered a space. Maybe Birmingham could operate a similar system, measured say from the bull outside the Bull ring.

Regarding changes to scores, PP did have an impact on this. I believe for 2014 entry for FW. Their intake increased from 150 to 180, with 36 places being PP, thus reducing the number of spaces of non PP by 6.

I believe CHG introduced PP the same year, however not all their PP places were taken, so we're offered to non PP, but the following year the PP places were then all taken, thus impacting the non PP scores.

There will begin to be an upward trend in the PP places too, as more children opt for this (and yes this system is being abused. When my DD sat 2 years ago, there were reports on here of PP children being dropped off at their tuition in the parents big mercs!)

2016 did show a drop in the CHB score, which took people by surprise. My theory is that people had seen the big increases in the original cut off scores (not realising that PAN was being offered as opposed to over PAN) and thought they had no chance so didn't put it down.

A friend of my DD scored 238 that year and had CHB as first choice, we really thought he might not get it or would have an offer late into the summer, however within a couple of weeks of offers day, there were 19 offer letters sent on one day and he got his place.

This goes to show, that even if you don't think there's any chance of getting the school you really want, you should always put it on your form.
Mash1967

Post by Mash1967 »

Hi all,

General enquiry, has there ever been a year where a child did not get into a desired grammar school when obtaining the cut off score that would of got them into that school the previous year even from waiting list if the score jumped significantly.
DMC1

Post by DMC1 »

Mash1967 wrote:Hi all,

General enquiry, has there ever been a year where a child did not get into a desired grammar school when obtaining the cut off score that would of got them into that school the previous year even from waiting list if the score jumped significantly.
my daughter got 220 in 2015 - that would've got an offer on offers day from Handsworth the year before - in my daughters year that wasn't enough to get in off the waiting list so they can move significantly
jonydad

Post by jonydad »

Our DD scored 233. We would like to have CHG as our first preference. We may not get on March 1st, hopefully in second list. Any idea about last cut-off mark last year for CHG..?

thanks
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

jonydad wrote:Our DD scored 233. We would like to have CHG as our first preference. We may not get on March 1st, hopefully in second list. Any idea about last cut-off mark last year for CHG..?

thanks
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 11&t=50023" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The first page of this thread may be useful.
Looks like it went down to 227 in September.
Caveman47

Post by Caveman47 »

Nicky2017

Post by Nicky2017 »

My son has been offered a place at bv, however we have not yet received an offer letter. We live in Tamworth. I have called birmingham schools admissions who told me to call Staffordshire. I called staffs and they said it was birmingham who would send a letter. I called bv who told me to call birmingham. I’m completely confused. Does anyone know who the letter comes from and maybe when I might receive it?
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

I would have thought the letter would come from Staffordshire and then a letter from the school. I would push Staffs again as that's where you live/applied. If in doubt, call BV directly.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now