2017 scoring - Birmingham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Dadybear

Re: 2017 scoring - Birmingham

Post by Dadybear »

Scores will go up if there are more children taking the test this year

Also only post scores of your own children as you have proof!!

Playground scores are just that taken with a pinch of salt

I know of children saying they had passed but then going to local comprehensives

This is a hard time for everyone only post your own scores!
malgok

Post by malgok »

DD got 212 in Birmingham,rather disappointing but 347 in Walsall exam. Not sure if exams are very different; DD had a bad day in Birmingham or not grammar school candidate.
We live in Birmingham and not sure if any hope for King Edward Schools.
Anyone could offer advice?
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Thank you all for continuing to post your own scores and other scores you have heard.

As already stated, this is no way an accurate representation of the overall picture, just a little exercise to see how things are going.

I see no problem in continue to post scores that have been heard through word of mouth. If people we bragging and saying higher than they got, we wouldn't be showing so many low scores.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

mummy-2009 wrote:my daughter got 202 where she was expecting around 240.( I am new to the forum, sorry for any miscommunications),kindly add on to the list please.
Also checking if anyone thinks of any possibility of getting a place in any of the grammar schools in Birmingham/Sutton from the previous years cut off marks please?
thankyou
Hi, unfortunately I don't think 202 will be enough for a Bham grammar school.

If you look at the first post 'allocations & waiting lists 2017' this might help make things a little clearer.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

malgok wrote:DD got 212 in Birmingham,rather disappointing but 347 in Walsall exam. Not sure if exams are very different; DD had a bad day in Birmingham or not grammar school candidate.
We live in Birmingham and not sure if any hope for King Edward Schools.
Anyone could offer advice?
Hi, I think the only possibility may be Sutton Coldfield girls, but there is no a lot of info about the scores, other than 212 was 56th on waiting list on6th April.

Have a look at the first post entitled allocations & waiting lists, it may be helpful.

You could call the Foundation Office, they should be able to offer info regarding, lowest scores offered. This might help you a little.
Momof2boys

Post by Momof2boys »

Just because someone ends up going to a comprehensive doesn't mean they didn't pass or do well in the test. My son scored 231 but is only interested in KEFW which is local and he probably won't get in there based on the cut off score in recent years.

The commute to the other grammar schools he could get in to would be too much in my opinion.

His second choice is a local comp so he will more than likely be going there. Much as grammar schools are an excellent opportunity, I think people need to consider the journey times for their children. If your child is bright and wants to learn, they will do well wherever they go.

You have to remember that part of the reason that grammar schools get such good results is because they choose the most academic children, so you can't really compare them to none selective schools.
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Another 196 from someone at DS’s running club. I have no reason to see why they would make it up.
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Momof2boys wrote:Just because someone ends up going to a comprehensive doesn't mean they didn't pass or do well in the test. My son scored 231 but is only interested in KEFW which is local and he probably won't get in there based on the cut off score in recent years.

The commute to the other grammar schools he could get in to would be too much in my opinion.

His second choice is a local comp so he will more than likely be going there. Much as grammar schools are an excellent opportunity, I think people need to consider the journey times for their children. If your child is bright and wants to learn, they will do well wherever they go.

You have to remember that part of the reason that grammar schools get such good results is because they choose the most academic children, so you can't really compare them to none selective schools.
Momof2boys, whilst I agree with parts of your post, I think that with 231 you should be reasonably confident of KEFW, albeit from the W/L. We know it went down to 228 last year.
mummy-2009

Post by mummy-2009 »

Momof2boys wrote:Just because someone ends up going to a comprehensive doesn't mean they didn't pass or do well in the test. My son scored 231 but is only interested in KEFW which is local and he probably won't get in there based on the cut off score in recent years.

well done to your son. I completely agree with you, but do you think learning environment is a bit different in local schools ?My older child is in yr-6 ,so I have no personal experiences, but have heard many stories of bullying & physical abuses.
mummy-2009

Post by mummy-2009 »

nervousmom wrote:
mummy-2009 wrote:my daughter got 202 where she was expecting around 240.( I am new to the forum, sorry for any miscommunications),kindly add on to the list please.
Also checking if anyone thinks of any possibility of getting a place in any of the grammar schools in Birmingham/Sutton from the previous years cut off marks please?
thankyou
Hi, unfortunately I don't think 202 will be enough for a Bham grammar school.

If you look at the first post 'allocations & waiting lists 2017' this might help make things a little clearer.
Thank you so much for your reply.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now