Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Is a 279 score possible?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:28 pm 

There is a tutor in Birmingham who is claiming that one of his students has scored 279. Is that even possible? I ask the question because I believe he is being dishonest in order to attract more students. Many of my friends are considering using him as a tutor for their children based on this information alone. Is there no accountability for tutors or can they state anything they want? Does false advertising not apply to them?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:09 pm 

Hi,my daughter scored-202 in grammar test -2017(Birmingham).This is shockingly low for her general performance & we are all feeling a bit low at the moment ,but trying to cheer her up. Can anyone kindly advice me if there is any point in hoping for a place in any of the Birmingham/Sutton grammar schools.
thank you

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:39 pm 

mummy-2009 wrote:
Hi,my daughter scored-202 in grammar test -2017(Birmingham).This is shockingly low for her general performance & we are all feeling a bit low at the moment ,but trying to cheer her up. Can anyone kindly advice me if there is any point in hoping for a place in any of the Birmingham/Sutton grammar schools.
thank you

Take a look at the 2017 scores thread on here for a overall view but even them there is no consensus, some think the cut off will go down and some think up, but either way it's unlikely to be more than a couple of points. Looking at past scores it would appear that 202 would be unlikely to get into any of the schools but there is a lot of information on here regarding people getting into schools via waiting lists so it would be worth you trawling through them for a better idea.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:38 pm 

Score of 140+ have been reported in the past for a paper, so won't be impossible to achieve 279. Check this thread : viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7148

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:49 pm 

I am surprised your friends are considering a tutor alone on the fact that he achieved a score of 279 for a one-off student. Strange way to pick a tutor. I would have thought they would have looked at overall success rate and the entrance requirements.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:29 pm 

MSD: I agree with you but such is the way of the world!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:29 pm 

Tamworthbay wrote:
mummy-2009 wrote:
thank you

Take a look at the 2017 scores thread on here for a overall view but even them there is no consensus, some think the cut off will go down and some think up, but either way it's unlikely to be more than a couple of points. Looking at past scores it would appear that 202 would be unlikely to get into any of the schools but there is a lot of information on here regarding people getting into schools via waiting lists so it would be worth you trawling through them for a better idea.
Good luck.

thankyou.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:30 am 

Aflower wrote:
There is a tutor in Birmingham who is claiming that one of his students has scored 279. Is that even possible? I ask the question because I believe he is being dishonest in order to attract more students. Many of my friends are considering using him as a tutor for their children based on this information alone. Is there no accountability for tutors or can they state anything they want? Does false advertising not apply to them?

In a standardised test, someone has to get the top mark (often 141 for a test with a standard deviation of 15) - doesn't necessarily mean they scored 100% but does mean they got the best score in the cohort.

If one person got the top score in one paper and almost the top score in the other, and the top score is 141, then obviously 279 is possible. It's rare, I would imagine, that one child would be so very strong in both papers but not impossible.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:44 am 

There is an indication of individual scores higher than 141 for CEM
http://www2.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... =11&t=7148
KenR wrote:
Question: What is the total mark possible for each paper leading up to a maximum possible composite score? (kevin8)

The maximum standardised score is most NFER type 11-plus exams is normally 140 or 141, so the theoretical maximum score in these exams is therefore 420. However you will see later that a very small number of children can score higher in the KE & B/Ham Univ of Durham 11-plus exams due to the difficulty of the exams. However the normal NFER distribution will still apply and anyone scoring above 139 on each section will be within the top 1% of candidates and the average score about 100. These high standardised marks do not necessarily relate to top raw scores.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:14 am 

What is the maximum score which can be obtained in the 11+ test?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next