Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:33 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:42 pm
Posts: 139
Before I complete frantic visits this week and fill in my CAF, I wanted to capture some advice if possible. Our choices for the CAF are:
1. QMGS
2. HGS
3. Our local catholic school

DS has scored enough for KEA, BV and HGS, distance puts the others out for us. His QM score may be borderline/not enough if the cut off rises drastically.
The local comp is on our doorstep, the suggestion has been that unless this is put as 1st choice it won’t be considered. I’m ignoring that bit of info because there is no way I can put it 1st. It is oversubscribed though. DS is priority 2 on the local comp admission policy, but is there a strong chance that he might not get a place if it all goes wrong with GS scores?
He really wants either QM or the comp, i’m having to persuade him to look at HGS. Is it likely/possible that the grammar school listing will prevent a decent comp place?

Second question: far from ideal, but what if he is allocated a place at HGS and decides that it’s not for him before September? Far from ideal, I just wondered what the chances of him getting his preferred comp place are then?
I’m not trying to sound entitled to anything, I just want to know if there is a risk and if it is worth it for him.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:45 pm
Posts: 7487
Read up about the equal preference system. No school knows where you put them on the list. If you put the comp first you will get that if you are eligible for a place & will not get a grammar place. Put the schools in your genuine order of preference.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 1:05 pm
Posts: 6846
Location: Reading
Put the schools in your genuine order of preference. If you can’t be allocated any of your choices above the comp, it won’t affect your chances of getting the comp. schools do not know where you placed them. You are allocated the highest school on your CAF that cAn give you a place. Where you place them on the CAF makes no difference to the likelihood of getting a place.

You are being quite sensible by putting a School on there that you are happy with and should get a place it if you don’t get any of the others. That is advice we offer to everyone.

As for your second question, it will depend on how oversubscribed it is, how long their waiting list is if there is one, and where on that list you would be if you changed your mind.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 10471
Location: Essex
Lategate wrote:
Before I complete frantic visits this week and fill in my CAF, I wanted to capture some advice if possible. Our choices for the CAF are:
1. QMGS
2. HGS
3. Our local catholic school

DS has scored enough for KEA, BV and HGS, distance puts the others out for us. His QM score may be borderline/not enough if the cut off rises drastically.
The local comp is on our doorstep, the suggestion has been that unless this is put as 1st choice it won’t be considered. I’m ignoring that bit of info because there is no way I can put it 1st. It is oversubscribed though. DS is priority 2 on the local comp admission policy, but is there a strong chance that he might not get a place if it all goes wrong with GS scores?
He really wants either QM or the comp, i’m having to persuade him to look at HGS. Is it likely/possible that the grammar school listing will prevent a decent comp place?

Second question: far from ideal, but what if he is allocated a place at HGS and decides that it’s not for him before September? Far from ideal, I just wondered what the chances of him getting his preferred comp place are then?
I’m not trying to sound entitled to anything, I just want to know if there is a risk and if it is worth it for him.


Answer to question 1: Yes, absolutely, your DS's grammar school ranking will prevent him from being allocated a place at the comp. That is, if you list a grammar school (or any other school), for which he qualifies, higher on your CAF than the comp, the higher ranked school will be allocated, whether or not the comp would have given him a place.

Answer to question 2: if you decide, after national allocation day, that you actually want a school which you ranked lower on your CAF, you will normally have to make a new (now late) application for a place at that school. 'Your' place - assuming that you would have been offered that school, had you ranked it above the one you were allocated - disappeared from your list as some as you were allocated the higher ranked school. You should be added to your new first preference's waiting list according to its oversubscription criteria, so you may be lucky and find yourself at the top of the list. But you may not.

I would say, though, that the real answer to both your questions is - find your LA's Secondary School Admissions pages on its website and have a good read before completing and submitting your CAF :) .

X-posted with quicker typists :lol:

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:42 pm
Posts: 139
Thank you all- I have read the authorities selection criteria but it unfortunately doesn’t factor in my indecisive nature :D
I have realised that I really need to be happy with whichever school we list. I am pushing HGS as a QM back up, DS hasn’t seen it yet and DH thinks DS won’t want to go there. The crux of it is that we are just unsure, mainly because of the journey to school on public transport. I think i’ve answered my own question, I need to let DS decide really even though I know what I want.
I would be gutted at the waste of a GS place for him.
Thanks for unwittingly help me realise my parenting wobbles!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:17 am
Posts: 739
Lategate wrote:
Thank you all- I have read the authorities selection criteria but it unfortunately doesn’t factor in my indecisive nature :D
I have realised that I really need to be happy with whichever school we list. I am pushing HGS as a QM back up, DS hasn’t seen it yet and DH thinks DS won’t want to go there. The crux of it is that we are just unsure, mainly because of the journey to school on public transport. I think i’ve answered my own question, I need to let DS decide really even though I know what I want.
I would be gutted at the waste of a GS place for him.
Thanks for unwittingly help me realise my parenting wobbles!


You don’t have to decide tonight / this week. Arrange a visit to HGS, see what subjects / sports / music / extra curricular are on offer; try the journey over half term to get a feel for it. Your DH and DS do need to go with an open mind though - prepare questions in advance so anything you want to know and understand is covered.

All the best with your decision.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:47 pm
Posts: 3831
helen0209 wrote:
Lategate wrote:
Thank you all- I have read the authorities selection criteria but it unfortunately doesn’t factor in my indecisive nature :D
I have realised that I really need to be happy with whichever school we list. I am pushing HGS as a QM back up, DS hasn’t seen it yet and DH thinks DS won’t want to go there. The crux of it is that we are just unsure, mainly because of the journey to school on public transport. I think i’ve answered my own question, I need to let DS decide really even though I know what I want.
I would be gutted at the waste of a GS place for him.
Thanks for unwittingly help me realise my parenting wobbles!


You don’t have to decide tonight / this week. Arrange a visit to HGS, see what subjects / sports / music / extra curricular are on offer; try the journey over half term to get a feel for it. Your DH and DS do need to go with an open mind though - prepare questions in advance so anything you want to know and understand is covered.

All the best with your decision.


Very sensible advise.I would put the schools in the position you have outlined subject to everyone being happy with that course of action.

_________________
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:21 am
Posts: 384
Did you not like KEA or BV? Which school did yiunall really like? Have you really researched the travel portions as sometimes they are nowhere near as bad as you may think.
I'm just wondering why you are wanting to put HGS as an option if you haven't seen it?
I would agree with the other posters. Go and see the schools first but always put the schools you want in the order you want. Scores can fluctuate so put exactly what you want.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:42 pm
Posts: 139
helen and quasi- you are right- i’m chomping at the bit to solve a potential issue that I can’t really sort without seeing the school. My plan is to visit HGS this week with DS. DH can't make it this week- so we’ll do the journey over half term together.

First time- it’s not about not liking KEA or BV, they are not options for us due to distance. DS would not be happy with a long morning commute on public transport. We are not in a position to ferry to and from in the morning either, so think it would be unfair to put that on him. HGS is a reasonable commute on the metro for us, but DS has never had to do that before either, and i’m not sure if it’s too much out of his comfort zone. We haven’t had a chance to see the schools yet as we both work in schools and couldn’t escape! DS is set on QM, or the local comp. I don’t want him to lose a grammar school place if the qm boundary goes nuts. HGS would be the back up, but we all need to be happy that it would be his school if the qm plan goes awry.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:21 am
Posts: 384
Sorry I misunderstood, I thought you meant the others were too far away. I take it you are wolverhampton way? Have you explored a school bus option to Aston? I find some of the school transport options quite difficult to find. Moovit is a great app which often shows school bus routes too. We have looked at schools that I wouldn't have thought were possible to get to but are easier than I thought. Hopefully QM won't go up again this year and your son will get his first choice school . Fingers crossed


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2021