Help please for CAF for Walsall/Wolverhampton

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ashu

Help please for CAF for Walsall/Wolverhampton

Post by Ashu »

we are based in rugby and DD's score seems likely to get her to Rugby High school or Ashlawn selective here in Rugby itself, but since Warks CC did not give rankings based on areas, we are all doubtful. She had appeared for QMGS girls, WGS and Newport girls. She scored 330 so just as a backup I would like to fill up the CAF for the area. I know this sounds odd but I would like to keep it as backup.
Can somebody let me know how many choices are required to be filled and all other details, if possible.

Thanks!
hermanmunster

Re: Help please for CAF for Walsall/Wolverhampton

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Ashu - numbers of places on the CAF vary depending on your LEA so you need to get onto the website and have a look at the form.

If you are serious about moving to Shropshire / Wolverhampton etc then you can put those schools as back ups but don't consider travelling from where you are.

You maybe better to look at non selective schools locally as a back up instead
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

Hi Ashu

Well done to your daughter.

I think you misunderstand the system with the CAF: you can only fill in the Common Application Form in your Local Authority area - Rugby in your case? The number of choices varies around the country, so you should know how many choices you have already (usually between 3 and 6 I think). You put the schools you are interested in on the form in preference order. So if one of the Walsall Consortium schools is one of your preferences, you put it on your form from your council that has to be submitted by October 31st, even though these schools are in different Local Authority areas. You don't get to fill in a Wolverhampton Council form, a Walsall Council form etc too!

So fill in the schools you want in your genuine preference order and then you'll have to wait until March to find out I'm afraid. You should always include a school where you are certain your child will obtain a place (so one where her score is well above recent grammar school last entrance scores, or a local comprehensive where you are well within the catchment).
Ashu

Post by Ashu »

hermanmunster wrote:Hi Ashu - numbers of places on the CAF vary depending on your LEA so you need to get onto the website and have a look at the form.

If you are serious about moving to Shropshire / Wolverhampton etc then you can put those schools as back ups but don't consider travelling from where you are.

You maybe better to look at non selective schools locally as a back up instead
Yes definitely if she gets in one of the far off schools then we will plan to shift, though we hope that she gets in the schools here.
I was wondering if I needed to fill the CAF form in Walsall separately for it. Okay I unserstood now so I have 6 choices here in warks CAF and i can fill up some 1 or 2 options for Walsall or Wolverhampton schools, isn't it?
Ashu

Post by Ashu »

Turtlegirl wrote:Hi Ashu

Well done to your daughter.

I think you misunderstand the system with the CAF: you can only fill in the Common Application Form in your Local Authority area - Rugby in your case? The number of choices varies around the country, so you should know how many choices you have already (usually between 3 and 6 I think). You put the schools you are interested in on the form in preference order. So if one of the Walsall Consortium schools is one of your preferences, you put it on your form from your council that has to be submitted by October 31st, even though these schools are in different Local Authority areas. You don't get to fill in a Wolverhampton Council form, a Walsall Council form etc too!

So fill in the schools you want in your genuine preference order and then you'll have to wait until March to find out I'm afraid. You should always include a school where you are certain your child will obtain a place (so one where her score is well above recent grammar school last entrance scores, or a local comprehensive where you are well within the catchment).
Great Turtlegirl, thanks for the info, its really helpful.
we shifted from Cambridge to Rugby in Feb this year and started the whole eleven plus marathon as Cambridge has no 11+ or grammar schools. I am totally new to the experience and hence so silly questions. There are 6 choices allowed so I will accordingly keeping top 3 to 4 from this area with grammar and comprehensives.
Thanks again for help.
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

Yes Ashu, you can fill in your Warkwickshire form with six Walsall, Wolverhampton or even Suffolk schools if you want to!
Ashu

Post by Ashu »

Turtlegirl wrote:Yes Ashu, you can fill in your Warkwickshire form with six Walsall, Wolverhampton or even Suffolk schools if you want to!
:-) sure Gotcha
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now