Commuting to WGHS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JKA

Commuting to WGHS

Post by JKA »

Hi I was just wondering if someone has, or has seen someone commuting from Sutton Coldfield to WGHS?
I read all the good things about this school but concerned as it is really far from where we live.
quasimodo

Re: Commuting to WGHS

Post by quasimodo »

JKA wrote:Hi I was just wondering if someone has, or has seen someone commuting from Sutton Coldfield to WGHS?
I read all the good things about this school but concerned as it is really far from where we live.
I am not aware of anyone who does this journey and if anyone does its an isolated example certainly anyone who goes by school bus from Walsall travels from the furthest about 10 minutes away. QMHS would be a lot closer and it is on a bus route.It is possible to do the journey of 26 miles from the center of Sutton Coldfield to WGHS in 40 minutes now, longer in the rush hour, the majority of this journey is on the M6 Toll which is clear at most times.This would require a parent to pick up and drop off.You need to seriously consider QMHS.I don't suppose SCGSG or KE Handsworth are possible as you wouldn't be asking the question.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
JKA

Post by JKA »

She scored 213, so just about the end of the waiting list from last year. Also score 325 in the walsall exam.
With the introduction of PP, I am not sure of her chances to the queen Mary, so I am trying to explore all the options possible.
JKA

Post by JKA »

Sorry I meant the waiting list from sutton girls
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

On the issue of pupil premium at QMHS and while no one knows what its impact will be on cut offs its impact may not be as great as imagined.From the schools website its clear that during 2015/16 there were 72 girls on pupil premium at the school which equates to about 10 a year.So assuming they will allocate all their places this will be an additional 20 girls on pupil premium and some of them may indeed score higher than the cut off for non pupil premium places.Last year the cut off in March was 320 and it had fallen to 315 from the waiting list in September.QMHS may indeed be the likely destination for your dd without making any predictions for this or the cut offs for SCGSG.You are wise to explore alternatives.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now