KEFW

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hughese

Re: KEFW

Post by hughese »

We like you are hoping for KEFW, but think we will need to wait for the waiting list. We didn't consider Aston because it's just a touch further on the commute than we are happy with. In many ways I prefer HGS to FW as I felt that they had a real interest in the individual child and I haven't had that feeling anywhere else. I wouldn't put Aston ahead of HGS unless you genuinely think it would be better for your son.
DMC1

Post by DMC1 »

Been round BV today and my son really liked it

Has come down really I think between five ways and BV - for the parents of those at five ways and anyone whose had a tour etc what do you think the main plus points, and any negatives, of the school are?
Stansmum

Post by Stansmum »

DMC1 wrote:Been round BV today and my son really liked it

Has come down really I think between five ways and BV - for the parents of those at five ways and anyone whose had a tour etc what do you think the main plus points, and any negatives, of the school are?

For us, the facilities were a major plus. They have a CLIMBING WALL and an OBSERVATORY. I’m jealous of DS; it’s like ****** Hogwarts! We also like the fact it’s mixed girls and boys.

The negative for me is still location. It feels like the middle of nowhere, and while public transport links are strong, I worry I wouldn’t be able to get to him quick, and winter commutes will be very tiring.
excitedmumanddad

Post by excitedmumanddad »

quasimodo wrote:
Faisal2110 wrote:Hello,

This is my first child and I am new to all this. We live just 2 miles from KECH but my son got a score of 229. His first choice was KEFW anyway as he really liked the school and the vibe there. Their cut off was 233 - what are the chances of getting in and how should I fill out my selections list? KEFW as 1st, KEA as second? Please advise.

Hi Faisal,
Welcome to the Forum.

I would put the schools down in exactly that order.He may get a place at KEFW but he should get a place at KE Aston.You may want to consider KE Handsworth as a third grammar school choice for a belt and braces job.Congratulations to your son for his score.
With scores of 235, could you pls advise if we can avoid listing our local comp? DS also scored 362 for the Walsall exam. We are keen on a grammar school and don’t want to waste a place for a local comprehensive...
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

excitedmumanddad wrote:
quasimodo wrote:
Faisal2110 wrote:Hello,

This is my first child and I am new to all this. We live just 2 miles from KECH but my son got a score of 229. His first choice was KEFW anyway as he really liked the school and the vibe there. Their cut off was 233 - what are the chances of getting in and how should I fill out my selections list? KEFW as 1st, KEA as second? Please advise.

Hi Faisal,
Welcome to the Forum.

I would put the schools down in exactly that order.He may get a place at KEFW but he should get a place at KE Aston.You may want to consider KE Handsworth as a third grammar school choice for a belt and braces job.Congratulations to your son for his score.
With scores of 235, could you pls advise if we can avoid listing our local comp? DS also scored 362 for the Walsall exam. We are keen on a grammar school and don’t want to waste a place for a local comprehensive...

Your son with his scores will get a place at a grammar school.The only issue is which one.You don't need to relocate and it is a matter for you if you want to put a local comprehensive on your list.I didn't for my youngest dd 3 years ago as the one we would have been allocated I would not have wanted to send my dd.You may or may not have valid reasons.

I would put the schools down in your true order of preference.From what you have already stated.

1. KECHB
2. KEFW
3. KE Stratford 4. BV
5. QM Boys/local comprehensive

In March you will be allocated a school on the list and you will go on the waiting lists for all the schools above the one you have been allocated.It will be anything from BV or above depending on the cut offs.

Wait till the allocation then more specific information can be given on the waiting lists for each school once the cut offs are known from the admissions officers for each school and those with knowledge on the forum.

You have indicated you have not been to KE Stratford on another thread is that correct ? You must visit .Without visiting how do you know its the right school for your son and where it should be on your list ?
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Crossed with quasi who gives very sound advice as always.

Nobody can give you cast iron guaranteed assurances that with that score you will definitely get a place in a GS. It is likely that you will get a space somewhere, based on historical figures, but we are not comparing like with like this year.

It is ALWAYS advisable to put at least one comprehensive, of which you are absolutely sure you will get a place, in last place on your CAF. Just in case there is any question mark over you meeting any of the admissions criteria (which we do not know) etc etc. You are looking at such a huge range of GS, you cannot possibly easily access all of them, so you need to think very carefully about how you would get your son to them, day in day out for 7 years if that is what you were allocated. Please do not list KES Stratford if you have not visited. It is a very specific type of school and does not suit everyone - the schools are ALL different and you should only list schools that you hvae been to, and liked personally, not schools that other people tell you you should put down. Remember also that the council will not allocate you a GS just because that is all you have listed!

Your son's score is good but it would be sensible not to just go for the "grammar school or bust" mentality and make sure you have one very safe option listed.
excitedmumanddad

kenyancowgirl wrote:Crossed with quasi who gives very sound advice as always.

Nobody can give you cast iron guaranteed assurances that with that score you will definitely get a place in a GS. It is likely that you will get a space somewhere, based on historical figures, but we are not comparing like with like this year.

It is ALWAYS advisable to put at least one comprehensive, of which you are absolutely sure you will get a place, in last place on your CAF. Just in case there is any question mark over you meeting any of the admissions criteria (which we do not know) etc etc. You are looking at such a huge range of GS, you cannot possibly easily access all of them, so you need to think very carefully about how you would get your son to them, day in day out for 7 years if that is what you were allocated. Please do not list KES Stratford if you have not visited. It is a very specific type of school and does not suit everyone - the schools are ALL different and you should only list schools that you hvae been to, and liked personally, not schools that other people tell you you should put down. Remember also that the council will not allocate you a GS just because that is all you have listed!

Your son's score is good but it would be sensible not to just go for the "grammar school or bust" mentality and make sure you have one very safe option listed.
I am new to this forum but spent most of yesterday going through last year's threads which I found to be extremely informative. The best part about last year's conversation was that I could see how the predictions compared to actual offers made between Mar - Aug. quasimodo has been very accurate with his predictions. This is an excruciatingly difficult period for parents as we need to make choices based on historical comparisons. Thanks kenyancowgirl - you have a valid point about the idiosyncrasies of selection criterion (like the southern perimeter / OOA & distances applicable to KE Stratford for example.) We have feedback from a parent that the school is really good and the performance data stacks up. Unfortunately we were not organised enough and assumed all open days are between Aug and Oct and missed the one for KE Stratford. Both of you are right to point out that open days are important as we have arrived at the rest of the choices based on our experiences (not distances from our house) on the day. Not sure why KE Stratford has only one open day. Perhaps indicative of the uniqueness you have pointed out?? Open days have been brilliant in CHB, KEFW, BV and QMGS and quite disappointing in KEA (most disappointed) and our local comprehensive. :)
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

My point is that the parent you spoke to about KES Stratford might look for very different things in a school than you do - none of the GS are bad so you would expect the performance data to stack up! A child will do their best in a place where they are happiest - I couldn't send a child somewhere they hadn't visited and seen for themselves, regardless of what everyone else thought of it. You could try calling the school and seeing if they would show you round - they close for half term tomorrow for two weeks though so it would be empty classrooms, but, if they could facilitate it, it might be better than nothing... I assume it is because the Open Day is a big resource drain on a very small school so it is only run once - I love the school but there are things we liked, for example, that completely turned our friends off and vice versa when we looked at other schools!
excitedmumanddad

Your son with his scores will get a place at a grammar school.The only issue is which one.You don't need to relocate and it is a matter for you if you want to put a local comprehensive on your list.I didn't for my youngest dd 3 years ago as the one we would have been allocated I would not have wanted to send my dd.You may or may not have valid reasons.

I would put the schools down in your true order of preference.From what you have already stated.

1. KECHB
2. KEFW
3. KE Stratford 4. BV
5. QM Boys/local comprehensive

In March you will be allocated a school on the list and you will go on the waiting lists for all the schools above the one you have been allocated.It will be anything from BV or above depending on the cut offs.

Wait till the allocation then more specific information can be given on the waiting lists for each school once the cut offs are known from the admissions officers for each school and those with knowledge on the forum.

You have indicated you have not been to KE Stratford on another thread is that correct ? You must visit .Without visiting how do you know its the right school for your son and where it should be on your list ?
Thanks quasimodo. This information is really helpful. Yes I have posted on a different thread about my choices to try firm up my mind about the 5 preferences that I need to make before 31st Oct. It is a big dilemma given the risks involved. Do you think it will be possible for me to visit KE Stratford ? Will they allow out of turn visits ?? Regarding relocation, QMGS might require me to relocate as the transport options from Solihull is not the easiest to get to Walsall.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Give KES Stratford a ring - you have nothing to lose if they say no and everything to gain if they say yes!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now