CHG vs KE Handsworth?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest2014

Re: CHG vs KE Handsworth?

Post by Guest2014 »

She will not get higher GCSE grades at CH than at Handsworth. Your daughter will work just as hard at either school, follow the same curriculum but just travel further for it. Long commutes are best avoided so choose Handsworth. I had the same option a few years ago and forego CH because of the much longer commute.
Greywall

Re: CHG vs KE Handsworth?

Post by Greywall »

Thank you to everyone who replied to my query. You all answered in the same vein and I'm glad your sanity cleared the fog from my clouded mind!

We took DD to the Open Morning at CHG today. A great school in every way and one of the girls showing us around was from our neck of the woods, so I asked her about her commute. By setting off at 0730 each morning, she got to school in around 45 mins. Which isn't bad. But the OH didn't think CHG offered anything far and above what Handsworth has to offer. Except lessons in Latin. And a swimming pool. Which aren't deal breakers! DD thought the science labs and the library at Handsworth were better. The three of us all remarked on how the girls at Handsworth were much more confident when showing us around.

At the end of the tour, we were allowed time to ask questions of the Head. An audible gasp went up when one parent asked about commuting from Leicester! There were some gasps again when the Head announced there were two Year 7 girls who travelled from Leicester each day. She was obviously not in favour of such arrangements.

Going to see the school provided a sigh of relief for the three of us. We now know that our first choice school will provide a sound education and will allow DD to flourish in a first class institution. There isn't any difference between the KE schools. DD2 has a lot to aim for in a few years. But I now know not to worry unduly about such matters.

Once again, thank you to all who took time out to provide clarity. Good luck to all the children entering Year 7 in September 2018.

Greywall
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now