Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Help please!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:05 am 

Hi everyone, sorry I'm new to this forum. I hope some of you can offer some advice. My DS scored 317 in QM. Do you think he has any chance of getting in? I'm aware of pp this year. What chance does he have of Adam's grammar? I need to manage expectations and it really doesn't look promising. Feel so sad for DS as he had his heart set on QM or even Adam's as 2nd choice. Thankyou in advance, there seem to be some very knowledgeable parents on this forum. I wasn't sure whether to post this on a thread. Apologies if I've posted incorrectly.

Post subject: Re: Help please!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:33 am 

Eddy70 wrote:
Hi everyone, sorry I'm new to this forum. I hope some of you can offer some advice. My DS scored 317 in QM. Do you think he has any chance of getting in? I'm aware of pp this year. What chance does he have of Adam's grammar? I need to manage expectations and it really doesn't look promising. Feel so sad for DS as he had his heart set on QM or even Adam's as 2nd choice. Thankyou in advance, there seem to be some very knowledgeable parents on this forum. I wasn't sure whether to post this on a thread. Apologies if I've posted incorrectly.

I would put QM down as first choice with Adams as second.The honest answer is no one knows what the impact of pp will be on cut offs.What we do know are previous years cut offs in March and final waiting list places except for the current intake at QM.This information you are already probably aware of but is available on the stickies (the permanent threads in this area).Based on that and upon the information the pp cut off for consideration of a place at QM boys will be 305 although yet to be confirmed by the governors gives rise to your concerns.

Regarding Adams since they don't give out the scores it is hard for parents to be be fully informed and therefore parents have to make decisions in the dark.What information available appears in the stickies.

You would be wise and prudent to look at the non grammar alternatives.What are your other choices from your area ?

Abraham Lincoln

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:03 am 

Thankyou for your reply. The local schools aren't the best. I'm trying to reassure my DS that it's not the end of the world if he doesn't get into a Grammar. He cries and sobs, it's heartbreaking. He has the ability and he has worked so so hard. He seemed to think he had done well in the test, but he may have just misunderstood a section or something who knows!

He did sit Bham test and scored 216. It was for a back up only and I wasn't considering Bham because of the distance.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:42 am 

Eddy70 wrote:
Thankyou for your reply. The local schools aren't the best. I'm trying to reassure my DS that it's not the end of the world if he doesn't get into a Grammar. He cries and sobs, it's heartbreaking. He has the ability and he has worked so so hard. He seemed to think he had done well in the test, but he may have just misunderstood a section or something who knows!

He did sit Bham test and scored 216. It was for a back up only and I wasn't considering Bham because of the distance.

You and he should feel assured and proud that he is of grammar school ability and his score would avail him of a place at KE Handsworth for boys and possibly at Bishops Vesey in Sutton Coldfield.The number 6 bus goes from the town centre in Walsall to the school in SC.This is based on previous years cut offs and based on the fact the overall cohort taking the exams is generally of a higher ability than than that of the general population.

From what general area would he have to commute to any schools ?

Abraham Lincoln

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:57 am 

Thankyou for your wise words. Yes, I am extremely proud of DS and continually remind him. We are in Wolverhampton, I will drive him to Birmingham and back if he gets a place. But I'm fully aware of the daily commute. I also have a younger DD to think of who is still at a local primary school. I just want try and cover all options. I have heard negative things about Handsworth Grammar and don't know much at all about Bishops Vesey (think I need to start my research!).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:11 pm 

HGS had a very mediocre reputation way back when we were looking at 11+ (son now at university...) but by all accounts it's had a pretty dramatic turnaround in the last few years and is doing really well, I wouldn't rule it out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:17 pm 

Eddy70 wrote:
Thankyou for your wise words. Yes, I am extremely proud of DS and continually remind him. We are in Wolverhampton, I will drive him to Birmingham and back if he gets a place. But I'm fully aware of the daily commute. I also have a younger DD to think of who is still at a local primary school. I just want try and cover all options. I have heard negative things about Handsworth Grammar and don't know much at all about Bishops Vesey (think I need to start my research!).

Hi Eddy, my son is in year 7 at HGS. It's not our nearest grammar school - we are quite near Five Ways - however we spent a lot of time (and three visits!) looking at HGS before the exam because I suspected it would be our only option.

From what I gather the school didn't have a great reputation about 10-15 years ago but it's now very much on the up. It's part of the King Edwards foundation now and exam results have been improving each year. The school seems well funded - the site is quite small but they use the space well and they have playing fields a mile away. We have found the school (so far!) very well organised and quite strict with the boys. My son is certainly being challenged (quite a lot of homework!) but there is a good system of rewards (and punishments!) which is really working with him.

If you look on this forum , everyone with boys there is very positive about the school. Three is a tram from Wolverhampton which stops about 10 mins walk (or a direct bus) away which you could look into?

Last edited by crazycrofter on Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:26 pm 

Eddy70 wrote:

Why don't you call the schools at KE Handsworth and BV today and see if its possible for a visit tomorrow before half term or just after half term.Sadly you have missed three morning visits at BV of Tues,Wed and Thurs of this week.I don't know where you are in relation to the Metro but KE Handsworth is commutable from Wolverhampton.I think BV would require a car trip.Both are Ofsted outstanding schools.

I think any negative views on KE Handsworth are probably either based on views on the area or on the school from the past.Make your own judgement go and see and look on lts website.

Abraham Lincoln

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:28 pm 

It's reassuring to hear about HGS as it may become a realistic option. To be honest I hadn't given the Birmingham schools any serious thought based on the distance from Wolverhampton. But I think there may be children who commute to Birmingham from Wolverhampton. Yes, the metro may well be an option once DS is a little older. I would drop / pick up in car atleast to begin with.

I'm aware I've left it too late to visit the schools before 31st. I just didn't give Bham any serious thought.. :roll: I know! Maybe it's a good idea to include them on CAF and then arrange to visit after? Thinking aloud!

Is Bishops Vesey a good school compared to Handsworth Grammar? But then i think it's unlikely DS will get in with 216 whereas he stands a better chance at HGS?

Are there children who travel to schools in Birminghan? Thankyou for taking the time to reply.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:35 pm 

I have a DS who has just started Year 8 at HGS, and DS2 who will be starting September 2018 (hopefully)!! It is not our local school, we are between KEA and BV, and although based on previous years DS2 could potentially go to either from the W/L, HGS is still the 1st choice.

Everyone will have their own opinion of the school, and I would highly recommend that you visit if you can. They genuinely care for the boys and their development, not just academically but also as individuals.

If you can’t visit and have any specific questions, please feel free to PM me and I’ll do my best to answer.