Solihull to KE Handsworth grammar for Boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
boys02

Solihull to KE Handsworth grammar for Boys

Post by boys02 »

I would like to ask if anyone from the Solihull area will be listing KE Handsworth grammar for boys?
My friend viewed the school and would now like to list it on her LEA form.
Advice from anyone who already travels to Ke Handsworth from Solihull already, would be greatly appreciated. :D
crazycrofter

Re: Solihull to KE Handsworth grammar for Boys

Post by crazycrofter »

I'm not in Solihull but my son and a couple of others get the green bus from Northfield to KE Handsworth girls. It's then just a short walk to their school. There's also a green bus from Solihull so I reckon there will be some coming on that one. It's proved a good option for us.
boys02

Post by boys02 »

Thank you Crazycrofter. :D
Spawar123

Post by Spawar123 »

What does everyone think about KE Handsworth Grammar School ???
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

We really like it, but would suggest trying to visit after half term if you haven't already.

DS1 is now in Year 8, and DS2 will (hopefully) be starting in September 2018 - he scored 217 so could potentially go to KEA or BV from a W/L but we prefer HGS - we live Erdington way, so between KEA and BV if that helps.

The boys get a lot of homework as you would expect - Year 7 was around an hour a night, and in Year 8 it has virtually doubled; they expect them to work in order to achieve. Lessons appear to be well structured and in depth and cover a variety of areas. As well as the normal more academic subjects, they also do woodwork, cookery, CAD, etc. and an Opening Minds lesson in Year 7 which covers anything from budgeting to politics - topics to help them in the real world and they have Enrichment days each term.

Sports wise there is football, basketball, badminton, rugby, table tennis and athletics in the summer; in Year 7 they also go swimming. The boys are bussed to the playing fields in the same way they are at KEA, but there is an astro-pitch at the school which they can utilise during break times. There are music lessons for those who wish to take that option.

It is a very nurturing and caring school; they genuinely have the child's best interests at heart. They want them to achieve to their best potential, and are not concerned with league tables - although their results are very good. It is very down to earth and not pretentious in any way. They have a merit system and rewards, and also conversely one for bad behaviour (although being smug here, we don't know anything about that one)!!

In addition, the fabric of the school is well maintained and clean.

We have been very happy with the school, and I think it's previous reputation is shifting - quite rightly so. Their recent Ofsted was Outstanding in All Areas, which in itself is an amazing achievement.
boys02

Post by boys02 »

Thank you Helen0209. x :D
Penguin Mom

Post by Penguin Mom »

Our DS has just started Yr 7 at Handsworth Boys and we would agree with all the comments made above.

We have been very happy with the school so far; DS scored 252 so we were fortunate to have been able to chose any of the grammar schools for him. We liked all those we visited and could find little to set them apart, so chose HGS in the end largely down to it being by far the easiest commute. We live between Dudley and Wolverhampton and he can do this journey by public transport in about 1 hour which I think is long enough for any school child to have to undertake daily.

He has settled in really well, has made friends and would certainly agree it is a very nurturing and caring school. Our DS has minor additional needs which only came to light in Yr 6; we have been impressed by how supportive the school have been in this aspect too.
Dadybear

Post by Dadybear »

Spawar123 wrote:What does everyone think about KE Handsworth Grammar School ???
One of the top 10 schools in Birmingham! 8th to be precise!

Enough said I hope!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Dadybear wrote:

Enough said I hope!
No dadybear - not enough explanation I am afraid

How are you measuring "top" ?

Presume you mean on exam results? - which tables have you used? - (please provide evidence )

BHW One should hope it is in the top 10 as it is a selective school and there aren't that many of those in B'ham
Dadybear

Post by Dadybear »

hermanmunster wrote:
Dadybear wrote:

Enough said I hope!
No dadybear - not enough explanation I am afraid

How are you measuring "top" ?

Presume you mean on exam results? - which tables have you used? - (please provide evidence )

BHW One should hope it is in the top 10 as it is a selective school and there aren't that many of those in B'ham
Sorry evening mail Birmingham school tables