Admissions over PAN

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
atmyage

Admissions over PAN

Post by atmyage »

Hello,

I think have seen a thread on here sometime last year about admissions over PAN for King Edwards Grammar schools but I can't find it now. Was I mistaken? can anyone help please, esp for CHB.

Thank you,
atmyage
nervousmom

Re: Admissions over PAN

Post by nervousmom »

They did used to offer over PAN but about 3 years ago (ish) they stopped and started offering at PAN.

If you look back over some historical data on the top of the forum, you will see one year there was a rise in all the cut off scores, this was when the change was implemented.

You will also see that this has resulted in large movement on the waiting lists. The last 2 years the offer score for FW was 233 however, both years the last actual score offers has dropped to around 227/228, with approx 58 place offered from waitkng list for 2016 entry and over 60 places for 2017 entry.
atmyage

Post by atmyage »

Thank you nervousmum. Is that when they changed their admissions policy to include PP?
How do appeals against oversubscription work then? If they are offering at PAN and those offers are made on 1st March, and subsequently if your appeal is successful do you go to top of the waiting list or get offered a place?

Atmyage
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

My understanding is, where you are appealing to a system that purely uses rank scores (like Birmingham), rather than a flat pass rate (like Bucks), you are not specifically appealing against over subscription. Your appeal lives and dies on a) proving academic ability and b) explaining away any shortfall in the 11+, possibly by way of extenuating circumstances. You cannot win an appeal on b) alone. My understanding (and I may be wrong!) is that if you win an appeal, the school offers you a place. This then means that if this takes the school over PAN, the waiting list effectively freezes until people reject the place they have been offered or don't turn up etc, bringing the school below PAN again, at which point they can make offers from the wait list again.

Saying that, appeals to the KES Birmingham, are notoriously hard to win - to the point of being almost impossible, so it may be a moot point.
atmyage

Post by atmyage »

Ok Kenyancowgirl. That's what I understand having read all of the extremely useful posts by everyone here and Etienne. So, my worry or lack of ignorance is making me think if my appeal doesn't happen until late may/June, will the available places not be taken up by the WL or do they keep a few places back as the WL will kick in after 1St March?

Atmyage
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

No, they will offer from the waiting list - the waiting list offers will only ever be made up to PAN - as I have explained above, successful appeals would be plopped into the school bringing it above PAN (at that point the waiting list would be frozen until the school went below PAN again). If the numbers in the year didn't drop below PAN after appeals had been fed in, then no further offers will be made from the waiting list.

The school has to accommodate successful appeals, even if this makes it difficult for them. But, part of their counter to any appeal will be that they physically don't have the room as the school will already be at PAN.
atmyage

Post by atmyage »

Thank you Kenyancowgirl for the clarification. All the scenarios are playing in my head, naturally feeling anxious.

Atmyage
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now