Solihull Exam this weekend just gone

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kentish_man

Solihull Exam this weekend just gone

Post by kentish_man »

I was just wondering if anybody else had a son or daughter who took the exam on Saturday?
Curious as to any feedback, and there hadn't been any mention of it on here.
My son thought it was slightly harder than the KES one, which I was a little surprised about?
Lili32

Re: Solihull Exam this weekend just gone

Post by Lili32 »

DS took the exam on Saturday. He said was easier than KES and 11+
Lili32

Post by Lili32 »

Anybody received letter for interview next week?
kentish_man

Post by kentish_man »

Had a letter saying no to a sports scholarship. He's in county squad for one of the school's core sports, so to not even get invited to an assessment, the bar must be incredibly high.
No letter or mention of academic scholarship interview either. So I'm assuming that's a no too, seeing as interviews next week.

Not being made of money (But earning too much for AP) and also having a younger daughter to consider - Solihull (Or KES) were only really going to give us a grammar vs indie dilemma if an indie offer came with some kind of scholarship. (Which I guess was always a bit of a long shot)
It's not often our son makes our life easier, but in this case I'll assume he's made a heroic, selfless decision to get a mediocre KES/Solihull exam score :) :) :)

In all seriousness...
It's interesting to note that my son's school had almost identical numbers of KES and Solihull offers last year. But there were more than double the number of scholarships offered from KES than Solihull.
I guess that could be any number of things:
- Generally less scholarships available at Solihull
- Y7 entry competing for scholarships (esp. Music/Sport) with 50/60 kids already attending Solihull prep.
- Maybe the very elite level boys (i.e. Those who would be scholarship candidates) from my son's school concentrated on KES exam, or were simply more likely to take KES exam rather than Solihull? (And by implication, my son isn't in that elite level :) )

Bit of a shame. I did really like Solihull. For a sports obsessed boy, who is also reasonably bright, it would have been a great place to go.
But don't want to sound ungrateful.
He has a grammar school place (60-70% chance of Fiveways - with B.V. as a banker back-up)
I know that's a position many people would love to be in.
And for all I know, he may still get a full fee place offered - which is an opportunity we can then probably pass onto someone else.
Last edited by kentish_man on Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Y7 entry competing for scholarships (esp. Music/Sport) with 50/60 kids already attending Solihull prep.
...suspect this may be part of the answer.

Also KES has a wealthier foundation than Solihull and can probably offer more.
Lili32

Post by Lili32 »

hermanmunster wrote:
Y7 entry competing for scholarships (esp. Music/Sport) with 50/60 kids already attending Solihull prep.
...suspect this may be part of the answer.

Also KES has a wealthier foundation than Solihull and can probably offer more.
DS got a letter for borderline interview next week, which to be honest I am a bit shocked. He has done very well in the 11+, Camp Hill is our first choice, he is bright, I was more expecting scholarship rather than borderline. Only explanation I could think of is I applied AP, and maybe there’s only a few places available to new pupils. He did KES too, but heard nothing yet.
kentish_man

Post by kentish_man »

Good luck with the interview next week. Hope it goes well.
If you've applied for AP, it's quite possibly he could have scored better than some kids who get offered a no questions asked place next month. (Esp. if his 11+ score was in CHB territory)
As you know, the exams are also different too - so may suit a child more/less than the 11+.

It's a funny one for anyone waiting for KES and Solihull, and having had no contact.
You obviously want to know one way or the other how your child did.... but the scholarship and borderline interviews go by, and you hear nothing at all.
You don't really know what to think. He could have completely flunked the two indie exams, or he could have done really well? (Maybe only just missing out on a scholarship interview)
But until next month, we won't know either way.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now