KES results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

LolaD

Re: KES results

Post by LolaD »

solimum wrote:Just an off-topic comment - where does this expression "offered a seat" come from for school admissions? It sounds odd to me but is a common term on this forum. I would always have said "offered a place" (and keep "offered a seat" for crowded trains!)

I find the term odd as well but perhaps it comes from 'sitting an exam'.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Convoluted discussion on the subject of giving and taking exams: https://english.stackexchange.com/quest ... rs-to-exam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
brendan

Post by brendan »

I'm not sure how KES works but my daughter was on waiting list for AP at KEHS and she was offered a place in May. This is going back a few years.

I feel KES gives parents and their sons false hopes by inviting them in for AP interviews. If the child has not scored high enough then they shouldn't be interviewed.
inspired

Post by inspired »

My DS was invited for an AP interview but were not offered one either.

If it was just the results they look at then why bother with the interview process?

Does the interview play the main role in deciding who they offer the AP to ?
LolaD

Post by LolaD »

I am not sure how KES works but KEHS I think works differently.

KEHS, I am aware have offered APs without interviewing. It appears KEHS only interview scholarship candidates. To be honest, I suspect KEHS exam performance has more weighting in determining scholarship offer than the interview.
Silent House

Post by Silent House »

inspired wrote:My DS was invited for an AP interview but were not offered one either.

If it was just the results they look at then why bother with the interview process?

Does the interview play the main role in deciding who they offer the AP to ?
My understanding is that KES interviews several applicants for the AP scheme and then selects those who performed best at interview coupled with entrance exam performance. It’s also worth remembering that KES had 925 applicants this time round. This is a lot of applicants and intensifies competition for places

For scholarship places the interview is the deciding factor and most likely for AP as well.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now