KES results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Grace2DC

Re: KES results

Post by Grace2DC »

We are asking the genuine questions which now worry us. DC score 261 and we put Camp Hill as our first choice for grammar school. But we will chose either KES or Solihull if we got offers. On normal day we can either take 885 for KES or Solihull School bus which take about 30 minutes to both schools. If there are pre- / after school activities, the journey will become 40-60 minutes by taking public transport (depending on traffic). Both schools are about 5 miles from our home and one of us sometimes can fetch him home. We think that the daily travel time will be fairly acceptable for him. If there are no hugh advantage for KES, it would be nice to save some money by going to solihull and it is also a honour of having a scholarship award. If KES is more suitable for him, we are willing to pay the extra. Just try to get more information before make the final decision. Thank you for all the kind replies and information.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Grace2DC, nobody can answer that for you, as you know your son best.

What is your son like? What is he good at? What interests does he have? Does he want a co-ed or single sex? What sport does he do?...etc etc...nobody can give you advice without knowing more about your child. If you are worried about how many kids a school gets into Oxbridge, then I am afraid I can't help you...(on the basis that that is the wrong way to judge a school in my opinion.) As he didn't get a scholarship for KES, then it is likely he will not be at the top of the tree academically there. How wil he cope with this?

As money doesn't appear to be the deciding factor, go for the school that meets your son's interests and abilities as per the list I gave above. It is better that the Grammar School place goes to a family who does not have the choice of paying for independent. I don't really understand your comment "we will chose either KES or Solihull if we got offers."...You have got offers; one with a scholarship, one without, so you can withdraw from the CAF process now, (once you have decided between KES/Solihull)! It is a fortunate position to be in, to be able to afford private fees but, as you have observed, this does mean that peopel who can afford fees can pay for a place for their child who may not make the grade for a Grammar School (and most likely, given the are surrounding the school, would not consider it even. There are some very wealthy families living in that area, who are old Silhillians through generations, for example) How many scholarships do Solihull offer? One school locally to us quotes that 1 in 4 students is in receipt of a financial award - so, whilst good for you, it may not be the honour you perceive it to be, for example.

I suspect you have another child, from your forum name - do financial considerations come into play for them as well? For example if they are younger, if you have commmitted to fees now for your son, will that make it difficult for a second child coming up?

In summary, think about your son (his interests and dislikes) and match him to the opportunities on offer at each school, take finance out of the equation as it doesn't matter to you, as you have said above, and make a decision.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

I am often surprised by people who ask whether certain independent schools will cater for their academically able children. Their results may not be as good as grammar schools for obvious reasons, they take a broader ability range. these schools, however stream their students by ability so the top sets in these schools tend to be the same as the grammar schools. My daughter moved from a grammar school to an independent, and I would say that the top two sets are the same level as her previous grammar school and there is a good proportion of A* students, I wouldn't worry about whether the schools will be able to cater for your academically able kids because the answer is yes. Choose the school your child and you want, all the schools you mention will cater for your child academically so your choice should maybe be based on what else they offer, journey time, etc.
Grace2DC

Post by Grace2DC »

guest201 wrote:I am often surprised by people who ask whether certain independent schools will cater for their academically able children. Their results may not be as good as grammar schools for obvious reasons, they take a broader ability range. these schools, however stream their students by ability so the top sets in these schools tend to be the same as the grammar schools. My daughter moved from a grammar school to an independent, and I would say that the top two sets are the same level as her previous grammar school and there is a good proportion of A* students, I wouldn't worry about whether the schools will be able to cater for your academically able kids because the answer is yes. Choose the school your child and you want, all the schools you mention will cater for your child academically so your choice should maybe be based on what else they offer, journey time, etc.
Thank you Guest201! That is exactly what we want to confirm and it takes most of our worries away. We will take him back to both schools and let him make the final decision.
kenyancowgirl: Thank you for all those valuable suggestions. We know our child well, and will not judge his academic ability purely by scholarship offering and GS score. We knew a boy who was in middle set in his state school and did not make KEFW but was offered KES scholarship plus AP last year. Only those outcome may represent different aspects which various schools are looking for. I probably didn't make myself very clear. When we filled the GS form, we didn't know the outcome of two Independent schools. So Camp Hill was our first choice. But we knew that we would prefer KES/Solihull if we got offers later. We will respond to all the offers in a decent way as soon as possible.
Silent House

Post by Silent House »

I have one boy at KECB and one at KES.
Both are great schools.
The entrance tests looked for different things.
Both schools are highly academic but if I am honest KES offers more and my elder child now sees this.
On balance KES helps the top end become that bit more polished and provides more opportunities.
But I remain a fan of KECB, it’s just KES provides more.
Reading the posts on this forum I realise that education is a sensitive subject.
People get prickly and mention things like privilege, income and social class.
It can be hard to remove baggage from out outlook.
For me if you have bright children and limited finances try and get into a grammar. If you have bright children and money then try and get into KES or KEHS.
In percentage terms we are discussing margins here regarding the proportion of kids who pass these exams.
Labelling a child at 11 years of age is potentially dangerous and I am sure we know many children who failed the 11plus but then went to enjoy academic success later on in their lives.
brendan

Post by brendan »

My DS was shortlisted for interview at KES for AP, however we have been offered a seat on full fees and no financial support. The KES letter made no mention of an AP waiting list and I was wondering whether anybody else received a letter stating their child has been placed on waiting list for AP ?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I don't think AP offers work like that....If someone who has been offered an AP place doesn't take it, the AP doesn't automatically get offered to the next person who applied, who has only been offered a full fee place.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

There is a little bit of a discussion from last year about AP - someone mentions that they were on the WL for AP but did not get one https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... hp?t=45851" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
solimum

Post by solimum »

Just an off-topic comment - where does this expression "offered a seat" come from for school admissions? It sounds odd to me but is a common term on this forum. I would always have said "offered a place" (and keep "offered a seat" for crowded trains!)
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Probably from the same place that has people saying that their son or daughter gave an exam (instead of took an exam)....?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now