school references for kegs

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mm2

school references for kegs

Post by mm2 »

hi all
just wondered does the school have to write references for all the candidates for the king edward grammer schools?
I know they do for KES , but assummed that for the grammers entry was based purely on exam marks.

any comments would be appreciated

mm2
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi mm2

No headmasters report for KEGS - places are allocated purely on the basis of their performance in the test. The exception is for those who narrowly failed to achieve a pass mark (for their chosen school) and in that situation they allocate waiting list places based on straight line distance order for those with the same score.
mm2

Post by mm2 »

kenr

thanks for your reply
much appreciated

mm2
fm

Post by fm »

Dear Kenr,

I thought the first criterion for waiting list allocation was your order of preference e.g. if two children are both on the same score, waiting for a place in Aston, the one who put Aston higher on his order of preference would be given it. Then I thought distance would be the next criterion , assuming they tie on preference order. Are you sure it is distance first? I only ask because it is a FAQ from parents when they are deciding their preference order--although I always advise them to put the order they want and don't bother considering the remote possibility of a tie.
I'll be interested to see if the last score needed ranking is different this year. I had several pupils whom I would have, in former years, expected to put down one of the Camp Hills first but plumped for Five Ways and this trend was also repeated at my girl's primary so who knows.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi fm

Order of preference doesn't come into the frame regarding position on waiting list for a particular school. I had a conversation with the Foundation Office a couple of years ago.

Also in practice because of the differences in the pass mark for the different grammars this probably wouldn't matter anyway. Typically opnly those candidates that were within 1 or 2 marks of the pass score would have any chance of getting in on the waiting list.

You are absolutely correct to advise parents to put the preference order they want; if you don't meet the pass mark for you 1st choice KEGS or can still get in to your 2nd or 3rd. But if you are still say on the waiting list for you 3rd choice KEGS and missed by only 1 mark, you will not be disadvantaged over someone that put that school first.

Regards
fm

Post by fm »

Thanks for clearing that up. I think I may be stuck in a timewarp because I am fairly certain preference order was significant when eldest daughter did the exam in 1998.