2018 Places Offers day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Lategate

Re: 2018 Places Offers day

Post by Lategate »

They care much more about their reputation than the students voice, they will kick your child off the GSCE course if he/she is not acheiving well enough, hence their statistics about 100% C or above.
I have heard of instances of this happening at GCSE level, but suspect there’s a lot more to the story than the disgruntled parent is disclosing here. A pupil at a GS should, in theory, be capable of a grade C in any of their GCSE subjects. I know that most secondaries use KS2 data to predict GCSE capability, based on English and Maths attainment. As wrong as it is, in that it does not allow for individual strengths and quirks, every pupil in a GS will be at the top of the SATS performance, given that the 11+ filters those students with the ability to achieve top grades, probably in excess of the top SATS grades. Considering that a class of middle achievers at secondary are targeted at least the current grade 5 (old grade C+) it seems highly unlikely there are students in a GS who would be predicted to achieve less than a Grade C.
If that were the case, so much more would go before “kicking a student out” of a GCSE course, such as contact with parents, extra homework/self-study prompts, targeted intervention on specific skill areas including extra lessons after school/holidays/weekends. Being removed from a course would be desperation to save a student a poor grade, as well as maintaining the school’s performance record. Students in GS should be a achieving those grades and then some! They have the top few % of the pupils in the area.
Apologies for not crediting the PP’s name, but you are right on the money, someone got their child into a school that was out of their depth, but couldn’t cope with the consequences. The fact that it got to GCSE before action was taken seems highly unlikely.
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:ALL school's have bullying - and any school that denies it is one to avoid. The important thing to look at is how they deal with it, which can differ wildly from institution to institution.
I would agree wholeheartedly with this; unfortunately bullying exists in all walks of life, from school to work, on the road and even in our polite queuing system! The quotes sound like a minority of people letting off steam from what they deam an unfair outcome to an issue. Unfortunately you will not know if they even approached the school about the problems before they came to a head and how they were dealt with.

There are many people on this forum with DCs at a variety of schools who can give you personal insights, (both good and bad), so it may be worth asking for other opinions to broaden your research?
um

Post by um »

I have to say that having visited OSH a few times I was very impressed.

The offer limited day places ( a longer day from breakfast to dinner) to those who do well enough in their exam, and then boarding places which are generally not selective.

I was impressed by the pastoral care, learning support and facilities and think it's underrated and could be a good option - it isn't far from Stourbridge station and I understand that some parents run lift shares from around Edgbaston area.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I'm not sure it's underrated, it's always been considered one of the best schools in the area afaik. How they manage to define themselves as a state school is beyond me though and the "comprehensive" classification is just surreal. It's a far more "indie-feeling" school than KES or KEHS, maybe it's just the boarding but I'm not convinced it's that.
Buckbeak

Post by Buckbeak »

Well. Here we all are. Offers day is just 2 hours away.

Time for continually refreshing our email Inbox and looking up the road for that illusive orange jacket of the postman.

Come what may, let's all stay calm and know that today is not the beginning or end of the World. It is just another day to explore our options and work out the best path for our DCs.

I hope tomorrow works out for us all. However, regardless, all our DCs need to be congratulated for all the unwarranted hard work they have done to ensure that Grammar schools keep their reputations. After all , it is not the teaching in these Grammar schools that excel, but the pupils who pass the 11+ exams and attend them. :roll:

Good luck lovely parents. :)
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Buckbeak wrote:Well. Here we all are. Offers day is just 2 hours away.

Time for continually refreshing our email Inbox and looking up the road for that illusive orange jacket of the postman.

Come what may, let's all stay calm and know that today is not the beginning or end of the World. It is just another day to explore our options and work out the best path for our DCs.

I hope tomorrow works out for us all. However, regardless, all our DCs need to be congratulated for all the unwarranted hard work they have done to ensure that Grammar schools keep their reputations. After all , it is not the teaching in these Grammar schools that excel, but the pupils who pass the 11+ exams and attend them. :roll:

Good luck lovely parents. :)
Best of luck Buckbeak :D
Buckbeak

Post by Buckbeak »

WGHS 325 Offered :) (checked via Online portal - no email yet).

Good luck all.
um

Post by um »

Congratulations Buckbeak :D :D :D
femalemidlander

Post by femalemidlander »

Buckbeak wrote:WGHS 325 Offered :) (checked via Online portal - no email yet).

Good luck all.
so happy for you n darling daughter
Buckbeak

Post by Buckbeak »

um wrote:Congratulations Buckbeak :D :D :D
Thank you so much. DD will be so happy in the morning.

I hope everyone on this forum receives good news today.