2018 Places Offers day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
um

Re: 2018 Places Offers day

Post by um »

kentish_man wrote:
um wrote:There was a significant increase in numbers this year, which would have already pushed scores up, but to add to this, I understand that KES is having one fewer class than they did last year.
Interesting what you say about KES having one fewer class this year.
Where did you hear this?
A parent who said she'd spoken to KES.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Did KES have more than usual last year?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

(In case anyone from Warks is looking...this is KES Birmingham, not KES Stratford...!!)
um

Post by um »

hermanmunster wrote:Did KES have more than usual last year?
I have been told that KES had a record number of 925 boys sitting the exam from 360 different schools.
In 2010 they had 580 boys sitting.
Goodbyekitty

Post by Goodbyekitty »

um I think this big increase in kids taking the KES and KEHS exams probably has something to do with the exams being brought forward?
I know I definately wouldn't have applied for DS to take the exam had I already received my DS's 11+ results.
Think they are cashing in on parents insecurities.
A_Mum

Post by A_Mum »

I'm counting the days down, and bricking it! Hoping we get the result we want, but not wanting to put too much emphasis on it in case it doesn't go that way. On a separate note, I wonder if the primary schools know yet, or do they find out when we do?
um

Post by um »

Goodbyekitty wrote:um I think this big increase in kids taking the KES and KEHS exams probably has something to do with the exams being brought forward?
I know I definately wouldn't have applied for DS to take the exam had I already received my DS's 11+ results.
Think they are cashing in on parents insecurities.
In 2010, children didn't receive their GS results in advance at all - in those days (feeling ancient here lol), you took the GS exam in November, then the KES exam in January, and had no idea how your child had done in the GS exam until you got the school allocation on 1 March, so a lot of children did still take the KES exam as an 'insurance' as well as those who were taking it because they preferred a KES place.

When the GS exams changed to September, because legally parents have to receive results before the school application form submission deadline on 31 October now, KES stayed in January for a few years.
Then, I understand there was a relative drop in applicants to KES and KEHS.
For example, my daughter took the GS exam in 2013, got her score in October, and when we saw she should make a GS, she decided she didn't want to take the KEHS exam so I was fine with that. Had she not received her GS score beforehand, I would have ensured that she'd taken it.
I know of other boys and girls around that time who were incredibly able but chose not to take the KES/KEHS exams as they had CH 'in the bag' so to speak.

In response to this, KES and KEHS changed their exam dates in 2017 so that they now take place in October before the GS results come out.
Goodbyekitty

Post by Goodbyekitty »

um I think I prefere this system better where we get to know our DC's 11+ score before we fill in the admission forms.
I heard of a lady years ago who put down all grammar schools on her daughter's form.
Her daughter didn't pass and because she didn't put down a local comprehensive school, her daughter was sent to an undesirable school even though she lived on the doorstep of plantsbrook school :(
Lategate

Post by Lategate »

Hello all, I’ve been biting my nails since mid-Jan! The sleepless nights are back with my mind just niggling as to how this will all work out for DS. I suspect it will be QMGS waiting list. It’s reassuring to know it’s not just me who’s feeling a bit nervous.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Goodbyekitty wrote:um I think I prefere this system better where we get to know our DC's 11+ score before we fill in the admission forms.
I heard of a lady years ago who put down all grammar schools on her daughter's form.
Her daughter didn't pass and because she didn't put down a local comprehensive school, her daughter was sent to an undesirable school even though she lived on the doorstep of plantsbrook school :(
I was watching "Big School Lottery" on youtube the other day - this was from the times when people didn't know the scores before CAF , the education dept were contacting people trying to get them to put at least one comprehensive on the list but some didn't want to and there wasn't much could be done