2018 Places Offers day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

um

Re: 2018 Places Offers day

Post by um »

Goodbyekitty wrote:um I think I prefere this system better where we get to know our DC's 11+ score before we fill in the admission forms.
I heard of a lady years ago who put down all grammar schools on her daughter's form.
Her daughter didn't pass and because she didn't put down a local comprehensive school, her daughter was sent to an undesirable school even though she lived on the doorstep of plantsbrook school :(
Oh yes - I know more than a few cases of this happening!

It still actually happens now because parents wrongly interpret the 'pass score' for FSM children to be the score at which their child can definitely receive a place.
This is not correct - that's the last score at which the school will consider a FSM candidate, but it rarely goes down to that score.
So they see that the 'pass score' for FSM children to Five Ways is 207 and think that their (non-FSM) child will get in on 207. Aaargh...it happens every year!
Sheena

Post by Sheena »

on 1st March 2018, It would be great if people could post their score and whether or not offer has been made...
totally new to this forum so not sure how things work on here. :?:
um

Post by um »

Yes we do this every year and the information is collated.

It's very helpful and you can see last year's info on thr sticky at the top.
atmyage

Post by atmyage »

Hi,

I actually feel nauseous reading this thread, I mean , I knew March 1st will be hard but reading these posts have made it seem so real and so now. March 1st has been on my mind since results day as I know it will kick start our process of an appeal.

Good Luck to all those waiting.

atmyage.
um

Post by um »

Don't worry!
Honestly, worrying means you suffer twice :D
Especially if going to appeal - you could end up suffering more than twice :( - so just prepare well and do your absolute best.

What will be on 1 March will be - let's all appreciate the gift of our special children and our blessings :D :D

I don't know why, but February always seems to be the longest month of the year to me - I guess it will end at some point though!
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

um wrote:I don't know why, but February always seems to be the longest month of the year to me - I guess it will end at some point though!
Is it because spring is just round the corner but we are still in winter as demonstrated by the cold snap this week ? Days are getting lighter and spring will come this month.

It is easy to tell parents not to worry but I think its part of that anxiety all parents have for their offspring.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
um

Post by um »

That's true.

I think I am talking myself out of anxiety more than anyone else!
Lategate

Post by Lategate »

Good luck atmyage, I like to torture myself with anticipating all scenarios, easy to say, but it’s wasted energy.
In total contradiction to my advice, I’ve been scanning last year’s allocations list for QMGS waiting list offers, in case we find ourselves there. I can’t see any info on places offered from the waiting list, has anyone any info on this?
QMGS website states that the waiting list will be available at the end of March. I will probably have spontaneously combusted by then!
Happy February :?
um

Post by um »

Unfortunately, we rely on parents to tell us their child's waiting list position/offers etc and are immensely grateful to all the parents who provided the information in the sticky, as it is so useful to readers.

Info can be sent by PM to a mod and will be anonymously added to the list if parents don't wish to post it on the open forum.
We didn't have much info from QM though I'm afraid :( Just what's there.

Historically, it's been possible even on 1 March to gain info on where children sit on the KE waiting lists, but BV and QM admissions tend not to give this information until a few days after offer acceptance date . This year, that is 16th March.
Accepting an offered school by the deadline of 16 March will not affect a child's position on the waiting list for higher preference schools or any outcome of an appeal.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Lategate wrote:Good luck atmyage, I like to torture myself with anticipating all scenarios, easy to say, but it’s wasted energy.
In total contradiction to my advice, I’ve been scanning last year’s allocations list for QMGS waiting list offers, in case we find ourselves there. I can’t see any info on places offered from the waiting list, has anyone any info on this?
QMGS website states that the waiting list will be available at the end of March. I will probably have spontaneously combusted by then!
Happy February :?
I recall the lowest place offered off WL was about 324. It may have dipped below that though I know of someone who did not get in on 321. I think there was a very long waiting list and not much movement.

My son is in year 7 and I only know of one late joiner who started in Dec after another boy left.