2018 Places Offers day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
quasimodo

Re: 2018 Places Offers day

Post by quasimodo »

Mumov3 wrote:
Ricky74 wrote:Thank you. We are over in Stourbridge so bit too far.

What about OSH? Would the fees be comparable with KES scholarship? He'd also stay local then...
They weren't originally but after assessment they are. He is on list but is it as good a school?
I think you already know the answer to that and don't need anyone else to tell you.There are more to schools than league tables but this article deals with recent league tables.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/m ... s-13948099" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
excitedmumanddad

Post by excitedmumanddad »

I am not sure if this is an appropriate topic in this post. Some of the reviews I have seen on the internet speak about the nuisance of bullying in Grammar schools. Is there a real problem? We are a little concerned for our only DC as he transitions from primary this year.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

ALL school's have bullying - and any school that denies it is one to avoid. The important thing to look at is how they deal with it, which can differ wildly from institution to institution.
excitedmumanddad

'Would rate it 0 if i could. Every department in this school needs major improvement. And don't be surprised that your child gets bullied every day, however the teachers couldn't care less.

They care much more about their reputation than the students voice, they will kick your child off the GSCE course if he/she is not acheiving well enough, hence their statistics about 100% C or above.

This review will probably be deleted, but please beware of this school. The teachers are stupid and just want money, maybe two out of one hundred care about the students learning. This school is completely unorganised, their "IAG" system of reporting grades back to parents is broken and it happens sparsely, maybe once every term. Even the teachers agree it is terrible, but they cannot be bothered to say anything to the person who controls this system.

They will make your child's life **** and enjoy it, so please send them somewhere else. '

This is a review for one of the most reputed Grammar schools. I copied and pasted as-is from the internet. This is definitely not what one would want a child to go through. I will be surprised if there are parents here who support the argument that bullying is common and need to be dealt with.
excitedmumanddad

'Would give five stars for Mr xxxand Mr ****, but too many mobs of year 10 boys that intimidate the lower year, you also shouldn't trust them when it's snowing, site team knows what it's doing tho and................'

This is another review about the same school. Is it common to expect mobs of year 10 boys to intimidate lower year children? I am posting here because I saw the league tables and this is school is one of them. Is it wrong not to be naive and question this relevant topic? Especially when we might be accepting the same school next week?
excitedmumanddad

excitedmumanddad wrote:'Would rate it 0 if i could. Every department in this school needs major improvement. And don't be surprised that your child gets bullied every day, however the teachers couldn't care less.

They care much more about their reputation than the students voice, they will kick your child off the GSCE course if he/she is not acheiving well enough, hence their statistics about 100% C or above.

This review will probably be deleted, but please beware of this school. The teachers are stupid and just want money, maybe two out of one hundred care about the students learning. This school is completely unorganised, their "IAG" system of reporting grades back to parents is broken and it happens sparsely, maybe once every term. Even the teachers agree it is terrible, but they cannot be bothered to say anything to the person who controls this system.

They will make your child's life **** and enjoy it, so please send them somewhere else. '

This is a review for one of the most reputed Grammar schools. I copied and pasted as-is from the internet. This is definitely not what one would want a child to go through. I will be surprised if there are parents here who support the argument that bullying is common and need to be dealt with.
I am trying to understand if there is some truth to this? I am not afraid of naming the school. I don't want to unnecessarily spoil the reputation of the school. Just seeking help from some of the experienced folks in this forum who have seen their Children pass out of this school. Are these reviews something to be alarmed about? I still have a few days to help decide what to do if these reviews are proven right.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

excitedmumanddad wrote:Is it wrong not to be naive and question this relevant topic? Especially when we might be accepting the same school next week?
I don't know your area or which school you're talking about. However, on a practical point, if you have named this school on your CAF and you are offered it on 1 March, you should accept it. The only reason for not accepting would be if you have a private school offer as well that you can take instead.

If you don't take the state school you're offered on offer day, there's no guarantee you'll be offered a better school, or indeed (I think) another school at all.

If you're offered a school on 1 March that you don't want, your options are to try to find a place on a waiting list of a school you'd prefer or to try to get a place at a different school on appeal. Either way, you should accept the one you're offered.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

excitedmumanddad wrote:
excitedmumanddad wrote:'Would rate it 0 if i could. Every department in this school needs major improvement. And don't be surprised that your child gets bullied every day, however the teachers couldn't care less.

I am trying to understand if there is some truth to this? I am not afraid of naming the school. I don't want to unnecessarily spoil the reputation of the school. Just seeking help from some of the experienced folks in this forum who have seen their Children pass out of this school. Are these reviews something to be alarmed about? I still have a few days to help decide what to do if these reviews are proven right.
To be fair, unless parents are looking at the same site that you are getting these reviews from, nobody knows which school you are talking about....
tom40

Post by tom40 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:
excitedmumanddad wrote:

To be fair, unless parents are looking at the same site that you are getting these reviews from, nobody knows which school you are talking about....

I think it's about KEFW.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

kenyancowgirl wrote:
excitedmumanddad wrote:

Whichever school it is it seems to me to say a lot more about the parent rather than the school.In every school there are parents with unrealistic expectations both of their own children and of the schools they attend.It wasn't very objective and a series of tirades.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now