2018 Places Offers day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Lategate

Re: 2018 Places Offers day

Post by Lategate »

Thank you Ricky and Um. I figured that QM’s waiting list didn’t have much movement last year. I’ve got everything crossed that the cut off does not go up again this year. I’d put it all to the back of mind over Christmas, but now i’m nervous again.
Buckbeak

Post by Buckbeak »

quasimodo wrote:Good luck everyone.I remember your ride last time Buckbeak.
Thank you Quasimodo. Yes, it was 3 years ago. Time really does fly. My DD1 is now half way through Year 9 at WGHS. Just worth noting again that we were on a waiting list on offers day, albeit only in 3rd place.

Still, it felt like a loss at first . Patience, information and hope is the key. Try not to worry or be upset. Just figure out what the chances of getting a place are and wait. Reassure your DCs that they do not have to worry or care. They have done their bit; the hardest bit.

Get valuable information from the very fine and knowledgeable folks on this forum, such as the admins and the regular contributors like Quasimodo. We found all their information shared in this forum very helpful, as we still do today.

DON'T PANIC. Keep calm and carry on. :)
Lizjohn104

Post by Lizjohn104 »

um wrote:
kentish_man wrote:
um wrote:There was a significant increase in numbers this year, which would have already pushed scores up, but to add to this, I understand that KES is having one fewer class than they did last year.
Interesting what you say about KES having one fewer class this year.
Where did you hear this?
A parent who said she'd spoken to KES.
My son has been offered a place at KES, which we are still deciding about. In his interview for scholarship with the chief master we were told there were 980 applicants and that the standard was the highest they had ever had. There was no mention of there being one less class intake though. In fact, the structure we were shown seemed identical to the one already used.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

In all seriousness, a school would say that wouldn't they?! They are never going to say, at a scholarship interview, oh the standard was really pants this year!!! The standard may well have been higher, or it may be part of the marketing tool for the school! Whatever, please do make a decision before national offers day so you can release either a GS place (if you are offered one) or KES, asap, to avoid another child the trauma of having to sit on a waiting list not knowing where they are going!
Faisal2110

Post by Faisal2110 »

229 scored here but praying we can sneak into KEFW after waiting on the waiting list for a while- almost have our heart set on it!
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Lizjohn104 wrote:My son has been offered a place at KES, which we are still deciding about. In his interview for scholarship with the chief master we were told there were 980 applicants and that the standard was the highest they had ever had. There was no mention of there being one less class intake though. In fact, the structure we were shown seemed identical to the one already used.
Your son has done very well to be offered a place.I suspect he will do very well wherever he goes,particularly if I have read your previous posts correctly he was interviewed for a scholarship and has been offered an assisted place.Your other choices are KE Camp Hill or KEFW ? Only choose KES if the finances work for a 7 year period.Remember your son is likely to be wanting to go to University and the debt that is awaiting him.Many things go into these decisions ultimately it boils down to where he will be happiest and will do the best.Good luck in your deliberations.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Lizjohn104

Post by Lizjohn104 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:In all seriousness, a school would say that wouldn't they?! They are never going to say, at a scholarship interview, oh the standard was really pants this year!!! The standard may well have been higher, or it may be part of the marketing tool for the school! Whatever, please do make a decision before national offers day so you can release either a GS place (if you are offered one) or KES, asap, to avoid another child the trauma of having to sit on a waiting list not knowing where they are going!
In all seriousness...I was only responding to a previous point and was trying to be helpful by sharing the information I had been given regarding class numbers etc. Interesting that you interpreted it in such a negative way. Thank you so much for your heartfelt advice but we will make our decision when we are certain we have made the right choice. As for making a decision before national offers day, have you considered the possibility that we might prefer the GS and are waiting for confirmation that he has a place before turning down KES?! I thought this forum was supposed to encourage the sharing of information. Sorry if I have misunderstood.
wolvomommy

Post by wolvomommy »

According to this forum in 2017 the lowest score to get a place was 317, and it went down to 314 on the waiting list.
In 2016 in was 314 and then 311 on the waiting list.
In 2015 it was 321 and 318 on the waiting list - I think this year's data might not be accurate.

On my letter it says "over the last five years, the lowest total score achieving entry ranged from 297-316" so the lowest score in 2015 to gain entry can't have been 318.

Can anyone clarify??
um

Post by um »

wolvomommy wrote:According to this forum in 2017 the lowest score to get a place was 317, and it went down to 314 on the waiting list.
In 2016 in was 314 and then 311 on the waiting list.
In 2015 it was 321 and 318 on the waiting list - I think this year's data might not be accurate.

On my letter it says "over the last five years, the lowest total score achieving entry ranged from 297-316" so the lowest score in 2015 to gain entry can't have been 318.

Can anyone clarify??
Please could you tell us which school you're referring to?

The data we have on the forum is mainly comprised of what parents have told us, so when anybody receives new information, we are always happy to update this.
wolvomommy

Post by wolvomommy »

Oops, sorry WGHS
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now