Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:37 pm 

This new programme based around social mobilty starts next week. Ep1 features a year 9 pupil in Birmingham who wants to go to a Bham grammar sixth form. I hope there will be some positive outcomes when the final shows air in three years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/progin ... /07/gifted

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:22 pm 

Ricky74 this looks so interesting! Can't wait to see it.
It's a bit like the C4 child genius programme a few years ago whuch followed the lives of a few gifted children and they revisited them every year to follow their progresses.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:20 am 

Ricky74 wrote:
This new programme based around social mobilty starts next week. Ep1 features a year 9 pupil in Birmingham who wants to go to a Bham grammar sixth form. I hope there will be some positive outcomes when the final shows air in three years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/progin ... /07/gifted
Thank you for your timely reminder.I had seen a couple of promos for the programme and was intending to put the programme on record.I have now done so.I hope we get some new insights.These might come from the later programmes filmed in future years.I wonder whether we will be able to spot those children who will succeed from their family backgrounds ?

Abraham Lincoln

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:11 am 

I didn't watch that one Kitty, sounds good (I did see some of the scary other CG programme though :o )

Then I guess there was Child of our Time but my favourite, Seven Up was bittersweet. The little boy who wanted to be an astronaut and was then homeless by 28 but was helped out by another participant is a powerful story.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/cult ... o-far.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:57 am 

I watched this last night, very sobering. 3 very different girls with 3 very different talents. I really hope they all do well, they deserve it so much. Very interesting, I believe the next episode is following 3 boys.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:33 am 

A_Mum wrote:
I watched this last night, very sobering. 3 very different girls with 3 very different talents. I really hope they all do well, they deserve it so much. Very interesting, I believe the next episode is following 3 boys.

A Mum agreed. Very teary at times. Can't wait for next wks episode. Also will be interesting to see their progression through the next 3 yrs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:12 pm 

Yes it was moving and I am willing them all on.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:02 pm 

I posted about this on the Everything Else section. I have been wondering if it is too far to go to Port Talbot to offer some free tutoring and mentoring to that astonishing young lady. I hope someone nearer to her does so - she is amazing and utterly lovely with it. I was so upset at the lack of confidence they showed - it made you want to hug them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:36 pm 

It was great to see that they all had teachers who really believed in them and encouraged them to push themselves.

The boys are on tonight. It will be interesting to see if they are different in any way.

I will be making sure my dds watch it so they can appreciate how lucky they are and what other students have to contend with in order to have the chance to do well.

I found it very moving. Education is clearly their passport to a better life. DG