7 days to go and the countdown is on!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kellyann

Re: 7 days to go and the countdown is on!!

Post by kellyann »

The weeks usually fly by... This week seems like the longest week ever... I have no patience at all. Fingers crossed for everyone... I'm predicting we will be on the waiting list for both the schools DD wants :-/
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

um wrote:Not giving info on waiting list position until 26 March :? ...
That would be so frustrating having to wait another 3 1/2 weeks to know the position. Two years ago when we found out that DS1 was 45th it gave us a glimmer of hope on the day.

However, does this only affect non-KE schools, or is it a blanket approach? The LEA could never give us the W/L position for KEA (as this was controlled by the KE Foundation Office), only BV and HGS?

Best wishes to everyone waiting.
um

Post by um »

Previously, it has been possible to ring the KE Foundation to find out waiting list position from 1 March.

Handsworth Grammar is now part of the KE Foundation, but BV and SCGS are not and their lists are usually maintained by the LA.
Lategate

Post by Lategate »

A_Mum wrote:Thanks Um, that's really helpful. We're in Walsall, but have not received an email, although I have checked my log-in details on the portal countless times lately for easy access on the day! Hopefully, it will be posted on there or emailed, but I know I will be constantly refreshing this site for info on the day...
Me too! Just in case... i’ve also forgotten and reset my password twice. I’ve got a really busy few weeks coming up work-wise, i’m just hoping that this news doesn’t add to the stress on Thursday. Fingers crossed for us all.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Last year, we knew where we stood once Solihull posts started coming in.

There seemed no rhyme or reason when it came to BCC's emails though. One friend found out very early, another with a similar surname found out much later. We got one twin's allocation earlier than the other's and my one friend didn't find out until after 4pm.

It wasn't even possible to log on and find out as the info was not available on the portal. Frustrating as other LAs (albeit smaller) seemed more on top of it. Hopefully, it will be more organised this year.
Akousar

Post by Akousar »

Ricky74 wrote:Last year, we knew where we stood once Solihull posts started coming in.

There seemed no rhyme or reason when it came to BCC's emails though. One friend found out very early, another with a similar surname found out much later. We got one twin's allocation earlier than the other's and my one friend didn't find out until after 4pm.

It wasn't even possible to log on and find out as the info was not available on the portal. Frustrating as other LAs (albeit smaller) seemed more on top of it. Hopefully, it will be more organised this year.
It’s getting close to the day very nervous .. been a long few months
Wildfuture

Post by Wildfuture »

The email from BCC sounds to me like nobody will be able to know waiting list positions until 26th regardless of the school. So there won't be any waiting list offers or movement until after this date :?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I don't agree that there won't be any waiting list movement till after this date, just that, unless it affects your particular child, you won't know about it.

Think of it this way - national allocation day offers are made.

Parents start to accept their offers. Some may immediately reject the school they have been offered (for example if they were waiting for a particular state school but didn't get it and have decided to go private). These places (although probably not many) will immediately be offered out again, once rejected. These places when offered might go to kids who actually had been offered a lower ranked school on their CAF...they accept, releasing their original offer, which gets offered out again....

And all this is happening before the 26th March....lots of shenanigans go on between the NAD and that date - people get added to the waiting list so people already on it move down, as well as up....by waiting to announce positions until the 26th, the LEA is hoping to offer a truer picture...and save itself the annoyance of having to speak to thousands of parents who ring daily asking for wait list positions!!
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

A couple of years ago when we were waiting for DS1’s allocation, Petitpois posted the below link. It is about children in Birmingham, (some studying for the 11+ and some not), and how they go about deciding the order of their CAF, how the council allocate places and how they all fare on D-day. I think there are 3 parts to it, but once you watch the first one it links you to the rest.

Well worth a watch, and may help a couple of hours pass and save some of your fingernails!! :lol:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iwVRIBg6iTg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
um

Post by um »

That was a loong time ago and the children were in my ds1's year (he's now at Uni :D )
It was in the old days when the exam was in November and nobody had a clue how they'd done until 1 March :D
There's still so much that's the same, though.

I always wondered what happened to the boy who went to Cockshut Hill.

One girl did go on to make quite an impact though: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... goes-viral" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now