Allocation and waiting list movement - 2018 - scores only

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

Re: Allocation and waiting list movement - 2018 - scores onl

Post by ToadMum »

Ricky74 wrote:
Well said TM. I'd like to know why Conroy said 'obviously'
So many on here are genuinely hoping their sons will get a place at HGS.
conroyiwhiwhu wrote:I wonder why HGS Boys has so much WL movement. Could it be because it's situated in a "ghetto"? Still trying to clear my doubt.
This, perhaps, on the 'BWWW waiting list...' thread?

As you say, though, plenty of others would love to get an offer from the school. Remembering that even if the 'ghetto' description were true, some people at least must be pretty much stuck living there - sending one's DS to a grammar school there (assuming a sufficient score in the 11+ in the first place) is entirely a choice.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:I am surprised...I thought it was GS or bust....but you haven't got a place at any GS yet, have you, sorry in the multiple threads in multiple counties I may have missed the GS offer? And the way the wait lists are going, you might not... I do echo TM though - it is obvious you never had any intention of taking the place at HGS so is very selfish to not have withdrawn your son from the waiting list in advance and let the LA know. People like you slow the system down for everyone else - for the bragging rights? Seriously, genuinely nobody cares what schools you were offered places at - they just want to know where your child is going....As would I...what school have you actually got an offer from conroyiwhiwhu?

Interestingly, with all the recent chnages, I think HGS is going to be the school of choice for a lot of people next September - I have heard amazing things about it - people of Birmingham are so lucky to have so many good GS on their doorstep.
Well said.

I'm not sure how a random Google review helps. Conroy, you were consulting Netmums for opinions on where to live in Gloucester, but you need to visit schools and areas in person.

School opening evenings are coming up and visiting the school/s again may help swing those final decisions for those who genuinely have every intention of going to Aston, HGS or other gs.

Such a visit helped us to decide and to dispel any myths pedalled online.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Peddled.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I don’t know! :lol: :lol: Some of them go round and round, very fast.....!! :lol: :lol:
conroyiwhiwhu

Post by conroyiwhiwhu »

Ricky74 wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:I am surprised...I thought it was GS or bust....but you haven't got a place at any GS yet, have you, sorry in the multiple threads in multiple counties I may have missed the GS offer? And the way the wait lists are going, you might not... I do echo TM though - it is obvious you never had any intention of taking the place at HGS so is very selfish to not have withdrawn your son from the waiting list in advance and let the LA know. People like you slow the system down for everyone else - for the bragging rights? Seriously, genuinely nobody cares what schools you were offered places at - they just want to know where your child is going....As would I...what school have you actually got an offer from conroyiwhiwhu?

Interestingly, with all the recent chnages, I think HGS is going to be the school of choice for a lot of people next September - I have heard amazing things about it - people of Birmingham are so lucky to have so many good GS on their doorstep.
Well said.

I'm not sure how a random Google review helps. Conroy, you were consulting Netmums for opinions on where to live in Gloucester, but you need to visit schools and areas in person.

School opening evenings are coming up and visiting the school/s again may help swing those final decisions for those who genuinely have every intention of going to Aston, HGS or other gs.

Such a visit helped us to decide and to dispel any myths pedalled online.
Thanks for your advice.
I am visiting schools, and have boots on the ground. I also like to see the world through other peoples eyes as well.

@kenyancowgirl, you are entitled to your own opinion. What else are you going to say?
conroyiwhiwhu

Post by conroyiwhiwhu »

ToadMum wrote:
Ricky74 wrote:
Well said TM. I'd like to know why Conroy said 'obviously'
So many on here are genuinely hoping their sons will get a place at HGS.
conroyiwhiwhu wrote:I wonder why HGS Boys has so much WL movement. Could it be because it's situated in a "ghetto"? Still trying to clear my doubt.
This, perhaps, on the 'BWWW waiting list...' thread?

As you say, though, plenty of others would love to get an offer from the school. Remembering that even if the 'ghetto' description were true, some people at least must be pretty much stuck living there - sending one's DS to a grammar school there (assuming a sufficient score in the 11+ in the first place) is entirely a choice.
Obviously: meaning releasing the place as we have made mind up not to go there after all by elimination. Suffice to say that it was only GS on our CAF form (3rd choice) at that time.
Lizjohn104

Post by Lizjohn104 »

Interesting how many different reports regarding CH allocations are going around. I was told yesterday that the FO said 180 offers were sent out on offers day even though there are 120 places. In previous years 150 offers had been sent out originally, but based on previous statistics, at least 60 pupils take up places elsewhere, so they increased initial offers. No further offers have been made. They also said that all places had now been accepted.
I realise that some other accounts differ but this does fit in with news that FW have made 41 offers from the waiting list, rather than the 70+ in previous years, given the knock on effect that CH would have.
Not sure what to believe now!
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Lizjohn104 wrote:Interesting how many different reports regarding CH allocations are going around. I was told yesterday that the FO said 180 offers were sent out on offers day even though there are 120 places. In previous years 150 offers had been sent out originally, but based on previous statistics, at least 60 pupils take up places elsewhere, so they increased initial offers. No further offers have been made. They also said that all places had now been accepted.
I realise that some other accounts differ but this does fit in with news that FW have made 41 offers from the waiting list, rather than the 70+ in previous years, given the knock on effect that CH would have.
There seems to be different information being given out.

FO told me 30 extra offered this year and every year, but someone else said only offered extra this year!

Someone else said 23 places offered off waiting list at CHB!

One thing is definite - 48 offers made from FW list!

It all seems very different this year from previous years!
paulgreen

Post by paulgreen »

Lizjohn104 wrote:Interesting how many different reports regarding CH allocations are going around. I was told yesterday that the FO said 180 offers were sent out on offers day even though there are 120 places. In previous years 150 offers had been sent out originally, but based on previous statistics, at least 60 pupils take up places elsewhere, so they increased initial offers. No further offers have been made. They also said that all places had now been accepted.
This is what i have heard. 30 extra places offered than previous years by CH boys and no offers have been made on waiting list. So all movements due to CH girls
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Lizjohn104 wrote: I realise that some other accounts differ but this does fit in with news that FW have made 41 offers from the waiting list, rather than the 70+ in previous years, given the knock on effect that CH would have.
Last year approx 70 offers were made off FW list, but this was by the beginning of September.

By 27th April last year, 47 offers had been made from the FW waiting list, this year it is 48 by that date.

So on that basis, the FW waiting list is behaving in exactly the same way as last year, which surely can't be just down to CHG.

As stated, someone said 23 offers have been made for CHB!

If CHB did offer over PAN this year only, I can't understand how the cut off increased by 2 points!

One thing that we do all agree on is that something is definitely strange regarding the waiting list movement!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now