2018 Allocations discussion Thread

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
apillow

Re: 2018 Allocations discussion Thread

Post by apillow »

Agree. Last year we were dealing with Birmingham and Walsall LAs (as we moved) and there was a lot of confusion (their end)! March 1st was on the Weds and by the Friday we had a letter arrive from Walsall Council confirming our allocation (oh, and BCC decided to write too).

Thanks so much for the reply.I was worried. It is a waiting game now .
apillow

Post by apillow »

it seems a problem between the two councils.I would just sit tight and let it take care of itself until Tuesday then ring Walsall LEA and keep it under review by telephone until it is sorted.

Thanks so much for the reply. Hope they will sort it out soon.
Lategate

Post by Lategate »

Hello again, asking for a friend this time. Her DD scored 318 and has not been offered her first choice of WGHS. The cut off is 319. Is a place from waiting list likely? She has not been offered any of her other choices of state school either. Has anyone any experience of the waiting list at WGHS from previous years? Thanks!
wolvomommy

Post by wolvomommy »

In the last 4 years the waiting list has moved at least 2 points, so she should get a place with 318.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Lategate wrote:Hello again, asking for a friend this time. Her DD scored 318 and has not been offered her first choice of WGHS. The cut off is 319. Is a place from waiting list likely? She has not been offered any of her other choices of state school either. Has anyone any experience of the waiting list at WGHS from previous years? Thanks!
Based on the way the lists have moved in the last four years I would say a place is likely.The actual cut off will be up to two decimal places as will your friends dds score.So the actual score is just over 1 mark or up to 2 marks away depending on the actual decimalised scores.In the last few years the score has appeared to move at least 3 whole marks from the cut off to the last admitted score on the waiting list.It could take many weeks and months but should happen.

Your friend should contact Jayne Thomas the PA to the headmistress to find out the actual score and the actual cut off score and maintain contact in the coming weeks and months.It maybe difficult to make contact as she is always busy but is a very pleasant lady to deal with.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Lategate

Post by Lategate »

quasimodo wrote:
Lategate wrote:Hello again, asking for a friend this time. Her DD scored 318 and has not been offered her first choice of WGHS. The cut off is 319. Is a place from waiting list likely? She has not been offered any of her other choices of state school either. Has anyone any experience of the waiting list at WGHS from previous years? Thanks!
Based on the way the lists have moved in the last four years I would say a place is likely.The actual cut off will be up to two decimal places as will your friends dds score.So the actual score is just over 1 mark or up to 2 marks away depending on the actual decimalised scores.In the last few years the score has appeared to move at least 3 whole marks from the cut off to the last admitted score on the waiting list.It could take many weeks and months but should happen.

Your friend should contact Jayne Thomas the PA to the headmistress to find out the actual score and the actual cut off score and maintain contact in the coming weeks and months.It maybe difficult to make contact as she is always busy but is a very pleasant lady to deal with.
Thank you quasi and wolvomummy, hopefully the list does move, I would be confident of a place. It will be a big help for them as the DD is distressed by the lack of suitable school.
Fmanon

Post by Fmanon »

Hi

How do you accept a position with Birmingham LEA?
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Fmanon wrote:Hi

How do you accept a position with Birmingham LEA?
You will receive a letter (should be today, but snow may be an issue)! There will be a number of documents you will need to complete, one of which will be an acceptance form. This needs to be sent back to the school - or wherever it states on the letter.
calico11

Post by calico11 »

A little off-topic and I am not sure if it has been discussed before, but I have just noticed from the website that Wolverhampton Girl's High School is introducing 20 pupil premium places (with a qualifying score set) for 2019 entry. So even more uncertainty for next year's places in terms of interpreting data. It's interesting that this seems to be happening to all of the consortium schools. https://www.wghs.org.uk/year7admissions
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

calico11 wrote:A little off-topic and I am not sure if it has been discussed before, but I have just noticed from the website that Wolverhampton Girl's High School is introducing 20 pupil premium places (with a qualifying score set) for 2019 entry. So even more uncertainty for next year's places in terms of interpreting data. It's interesting that this seems to be happening to all of the consortium schools. https://www.wghs.org.uk/year7admissions
I have had a read of the policy.The school will announce in October 2018 the score Pupil premium girls will need to reach in order to be eligible for a place under stage 1 and the top 20 girls under that category being awarded a place.The policy goes hand in hand with the current outreach programme to encourage girls from many local primary schools to take the test and apply for the school.Any other pupil premium girls will be considered under stage 2 with the other girls in the general list on merit score.

Currently the school have by my calculations from the total level of funding received in 2016/17 about 45 girls on pupil premium which works out between 6 or 7 per year.

The schools cut off over the years has been one of the lowest in the Birmingham and Wolverhampton consortium of schools so I am not sure it will have any real impact on cut off scores or it will be such it will not be noticeable all things being equal.The school has in the last few years increased admissions per year from 108 initially to 116 and then to 145 and offering 20 places to girls from pupil premium families is just over half of those recent increases.The school already has a number of girls from socially disadvantaged backgrounds whose families don't receive pupil premium.The change is welcome and the school can use the additional funds for the benefit of the girls to improve their life chances.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now