2018 Allocations discussion Thread

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hopefulmum81

Re: 2018 Allocations discussion Thread

Post by Hopefulmum81 »

lisam wrote:how long did you wait for them to email you back?
I went to the foundation office today but was told I could not get any information in person.
I explained that I keep calling and don't get through.
She gave me the email address to which they don't reply either.
They really need to get this waiting list sorted and start giving people the correct information.
Not to mention answering the phone
I also don't agree with the rounding of the scores
my son has got 205.84 and we live 8 miles away
however someone living nearer who gets for example 205.01 would get the place before my son.
When it comes down to the last few places I believe it should be on their exact score.
After all it is supposed to be an academically selective school and should therefore prioritize the higher scorers
Lisam in life I have learnt that there are some things we cannot change and unfortunately the harder we try to the more stressful the situation.
Has your son been offered a place at a local school?if so I would just embrace it particularly if it's a good school and then wait and see what happens with the list.The fact that the foundation office aren't responding may actually be a good thing as they may have realised that they have lots to sort out hopefully after a couple of weeks we will have some clarity of where things are at.
In the meantime try not to think about and the if things finally happen it will be good news for both you and your son without a lot of stress.what is meant to be will be.After all as much as grammar schools are well resourced and the quality of education is good,there are a number of students who do well in comprehensive schools.They just need us to continue encouraging them.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Hopefulmum81 wrote:
I went to the foundation office today but was told I could not get any information in person.
They really need to get this waiting list sorted and start giving people the correct information.
however someone living nearer who gets for example 205.01 would get the place before my son.
When it comes down to the last few places I believe it should be on their exact score.
After all it is supposed to be an academically selective school and should therefore prioritize the higher scorers
Lisam in life I have learnt that there are some things we cannot change and unfortunately the harder we try to the more stressful the situation.
Has your son been offered a place at a local school?if so I would just embrace it particularly if it's a good school and then wait and see what happens with the list.The fact that the foundation office aren't responding may actually be a good thing as they may have realised that they have lots to sort out hopefully after a couple of weeks we will have some clarity of where things are at.
In the meantime try not to think about and the if things finally happen it will be good news for both you and your son without a lot of stress.what is meant to be will be.After all as much as grammar schools are well resourced and the quality of education is good,there are a number of students who do well in comprehensive schools.They just need us to continue encouraging them.
This is excellent advice.

The whole process can be all consuming and I hope there will be good news at the end of it for those in limbo on 205 and the like. In the meantime, focus on plan B.
conroyiwhiwhu

Post by conroyiwhiwhu »

It took 1 week. I emailed them late last Thursday.
lisam

Post by lisam »

I thank you for your advice. I am a teacher at secondary school myself and have been for 10 years. I went to KEHS myself and so understand and appreciate both ends of the spectrum. We all know our own children and understand where they will prosper the most
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Unfortunately there are nowhere near enough grammar school places in the West Midlands to accommodate the children who would benefit from that sort of environment. I think distance is as good a method as any to determine the order as really it’s all a bit of a lottery! It’s mainly a test of speed rather than intelligence.

I wish all the grammars had a catchment really so that the entry scores were roughly even instead of people with high scores trekking 10 miles to go to Camp Hill because it’s seen as ‘better’, meaning children local to Camp Hill have to travel to Aston or Bartley Green.

Anyway, I wish you all the best Lisa - and all the other 205s. If I was you I’d forget about it until July and re-check after the induction day. There will be some no-shows then and a new raft of offers. In the meantime big up the comprehensive option - and if it’s dire, see if you can get on a waiting list for a better school. Walsall Academy is very good??
paulgreen

Post by paulgreen »

Just found out my son is 21st on the waiting list for Handsworth. His score is 207 & was 19th on the waiting list on 26th March.