Daughter didn't get aplace

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Happiness

Re: Daughter didn't get aplace

Post by Happiness »

spoke to local LA but they asked me to contact directly Birmingham LA as they don't know the reason. local LA asked when I am moving to Birmingham?

I am bit confused by that question, do I need to live in Birmingham to secure a place? please help.

I am not sure whether grammar school will disclose whether my son been offered a place at this stage?

Do I need to go through the appeal process, if that is the case will I go after waiting list?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

You do not need to live in Birmingham but I presume you are intending to move nearer to the schools that Sheffield? The local LA may not understand that places are offered on score in the B'ham selective schools, they may only use distance in Sheffield and hence the confusion.

Which school have you put first on the CAF?
Happiness

Post by Happiness »

First choice in application is KE CH boys
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If I remember correctly from an incident involving Southend or Essex CC 'maintaining' LEA and a London borough 'home' one (I think), the problem was that the home LEA had received the response to the request for a place, but had omitted to upload it into their system, so the applicant's 'out of home authority' preference was ignored.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Happiness

Post by Happiness »

Thanks for the reply.

I am worried whether my son will get a place.

What happens if LEA omitted? Any idea?
Moonsun

Post by Moonsun »

Happiness in our case there was an error at our LEA as they had misread communication from Birmingham -- they acknowledged this in an email. There were several other kids who had given exams from our area and there were no issues with their offers

So I guess this was a genuine mistake-- I was told that this happens quite often.
I rang Bham educational authority and they confirmed that an offer had been made. We had filled the form with only one choice as other schools are too far and our local school isn't good so the question of allocating another school simply wasn't possible as the firm had a single option
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Moonsun wrote:Happiness in our case there was an error at our LEA as they had misread communication from Birmingham -- they acknowledged this in an email. There were several other kids who had given exams from our area and there were no issues with their offers

So I guess this was a genuine mistake-- I was told that this happens quite often.
I rang Bham educational authority and they confirmed that an offer had been made. We had filled the form with only one choice as other schools are too far and our local school isn't good so the question of allocating another school simply wasn't possible as the firm had a single option
This may have turned out to be safe way to proceed where one's DC absolutely qualifies for a place at that one school - but for many people, expressing only one preference - it is not a 'choice' - on one's CAF is actually a very good way of ending up with a place at a school which is not at all acceptable to them. (Or to a significant number of other parents, which is why that school is being offered as the nearest unsubscribed school :shock: ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Happiness

Post by Happiness »

Thanks for your reply Moonsun. Do I need to ring birmingham LA to understand the situation? Or my L.A.? Please advise.
Buckbeak

Post by Buckbeak »

Moonsun wrote:Thanks everyone and oldtrout especially
Letter arrived confirming place at Sutton, error at our LEA,
Sorted now..... thanks everyone!!

Phew!! Many congratulations. :D
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Happiness wrote:Thanks for your reply Moonsun. Do I need to ring birmingham LA to understand the situation? Or my L.A.? Please advise.
From your earlier post, I would suggest calling Birmingham LA as you have already tried your LA. They will be able to confirm (or not) that your son has been offered a place and you can then take it from there. You don’t need to live in Birmingham to secure a place. All the best.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now