HGS versus AGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Lategate

Re: HGS versus AGS

Post by Lategate »

I know! I was thinking the same. I think this will evolve on its own, when we feel that DS is confident, and when DS has had enough of being collected by FIL. DS already trying to get me to leave him alone on the metro. I think it will be a new form of torture for him and an extra “punishment” to keep in the bag! :D
Caveman47

Post by Caveman47 »

Lol

Brilliant.
Penguin Mom

Post by Penguin Mom »

Great that your DS is already feeling confident!

Our plan last September was to travel there and back on the tram with DS for the first couple of weeks........it lasted 2 whole days and on day 3 he was adamant he was perfectly able and willing to go it alone, and has done so ever since. :D

On the second day I was very obviously the only mum around when walking to and from the tram stop with him and while waiting on the platform.....even I felt a little sense of awkwardness and I think this helped me realise I did need to let go.....if several other boys were doing it then I needed to allow him that space and trust too. One of those milestone moments as a parent.

I do understand your anxiety as a parent letting them go for the first time, DS had not been further than half a mile from home on his own before this. On that first morning I asked him to text me as he arrived at the school gate and I admit for at least a week after that I logged onto the School Gateway at 9:00am each morning to check he had registered! :roll:
El-jewel

Post by El-jewel »

Lategate wrote:I know! I was thinking the same. I think this will evolve on its own, when we feel that DS is confident, and when DS has had enough of being collected by FIL. DS already trying to get me to leave him alone on the metro. I think it will be a new form of torture for him and an extra “punishment” to keep in the bag! :D
:lol: :lol:
That’s a good one!
El-jewel

Post by El-jewel »

Penguin Mom wrote:Great that your DS is already feeling confident!

Our plan last September was to travel there and back on the tram with DS for the first couple of weeks........it lasted 2 whole days and on day 3 he was adamant he was perfectly able and willing to go it alone, and has done so ever since. :D

On the second day I was very obviously the only mum around when walking to and from the tram stop with him and while waiting on the platform.....even I felt a little sense of awkwardness and I think this helped me realise I did need to let go.....if several other boys were doing it then I needed to allow him that space and trust too. One of those milestone moments as a parent.

I do understand your anxiety as a parent letting them go for the first time, DS had not been further than half a mile from home on his own before this. On that first morning I asked him to text me as he arrived at the school gate and I admit for at least a week after that I logged onto the School Gateway at 9:00am each morning to check he had registered! :roll:
I am sure I would do the same thing! I don’t think my DS has ever crossed the road on his own! :) They’ve been cocooned! It’s time to let go. Slowly....
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

It's a cliche but they really do grow up in that first week.

My son at QM was initially met by my mother (who lives in Walsall) from the school gate and she would get on the bus with him - it lasted about two days.

It's good though that you are all planning the transport and familiarising them with it. I think it's when there's a bus diversion/breakdown/delay that the prep comes into play.

Sounds simple, but my son knew to just wait for the next bus when it didn't arrive one day. There was a day somebody let off a (very small) firework on the bus :roll: but most of the time it's a fairly routine/mundane ride!

I like the fact they are normally in a group too, so bus friends are made en route.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now